GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Changed address - inform or not inform? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed address - inform or not inform?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed address - inform or not inform?

I moved house a few months ago and my Royal Mail redirections have expired. There is a single UE credit card debt from the old address that was last paid in 2010 and for which a valid CCA has never been produced. The various Niddy letters have all been sent by special delivery. A new DCA popped up every few months but I've heard nothing in a while.

I did once ask Niddy a few years ago on MSE if I should inform the creditors of an UE debt of a change of address and the advice back then was why bother. However, I have seen horror stories of some creditors seeking CCJs at people's previous address and getting away with it even though this is not correct. So would I be better off informing them of my new address now?

Re: Changed address - inform or not inform?

I think I would inform them as any credit searches will ask for pasted addresses and as you say you dont want any surprises.

Comment

Could you not have the redirections renewed for a bit, or is that too expensive? I only ask because you really don't want to be poking a creditor who is leaving you alone by sending them a letter. I agree with what mgfboy has said, in principle, and if the DCA were harassing you regularly at this time I would definitely tell them. The issue here is that you may stir up the hornets' nest which could just be left to lie idle for a bit.

The other possibility would be the new service which Niddy is setting up, although I don't think it is fully operational yet. Even with that, though, you'd still have to make initial contact with a creditor who is leaving you alone. It is a difficult choice.

SH

Comment

Don't forget the post office recommend having redirection in place for up to two years when moving house. I know it's an expense but as SH says why stick your hand in the hornet's nest? If a new DCA gets on the scene or ups the ante then you can tell them of the new address then.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
          I moved house a few months ago and my Royal Mail redirections have expired. There is a single UE credit card debt from the old address that was last paid in 2010 and for which a valid CCA has never been produced. The various Niddy letters have all been sent by special delivery. A new DCA popped up every few months but I've heard nothing in a while.

I did once ask Niddy a few years ago on MSE if I should inform the creditors of an UE debt of a change of address and the advice back then was why bother. However, I have seen horror stories of some creditors seeking CCJs at people's previous address and getting away with it even though this is not correct. So would I be better off informing them of my new address now?
          I think under the circs you'll be fine just moving. Before any legal issues they need to do checks to prove they have searched for you and if you moved then you'd have good argument.

I'd just go with the flow and see what happens, they might even trace you due to DVLA etc selling data now so nothing is safe from those that know how to trace people.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Having moved house in spring of last year, I still have Royal Mail redirection in place. I've been corresponding with my OCs (and DCAs) using the old address. However at least one DCA has picked up on my new address, and has switched to writing to me here.

I Don't know where they picked it up from, maybe DVLA, or I saw a post that Niddy made about the Post Office selling info about new addresses from their redirection database.

Are they allowed to do that,btw?

Comment

sneaky buggers!!!

Comment

I thought I would try to confuse them, so I sent the first couple of letters back marked 'Return to Sender'.

They persisted though.
                Last edited by Still Waving; 10 January 2013, 16:25.

Comment

They soon found my new address, despite me not putting it on any communication!
                  I didn't want to actually inform any of my new address, just incase it affected the sb countdown.
                  Let sleeping dogs lie, but be aware, within six weeks of our house move, they were yapping loudly!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    I think under the circs you'll be fine just moving. Before any legal issues they need to do checks to prove they have searched for you and if you moved then you'd have good argument.

I'd just go with the flow and see what happens, they might even trace you due to DVLA etc selling data now so nothing is safe from those that know how to trace people.
                    Well, a complicating factor is that I used to bank with a certain high street bank - which then bought out the credit card firm with whom I had the UE debt. As they could now offset any credit balance in the current account to pay off the credit card, I had to open a new account elsewhere sharpish.

Since then I have kept that old account within the arranged overdraft zone and it's gradually ticking over with monthly interest as I haven't been able to pay it all off yet (was working for a while but am now back on JSA). Nothing goes into that account any more, all direct debits are cancelled and I don't use that account for anything. However, the monthly interest still tots up of course.

The statements for that account are still going to the old address and I have to keep an eye on the balance, as if it moves beyond the agreed overdraft limit, it goes into "silly charges" territory.

I keep tabs on it through the internet banking facility, although I have to use one of those card reader gizmos to access that - and the card expires this March.

So I have plenty of reasons to notify the bank of a new address - I'm thinking that the Niddy mail address service may come in handy here. However, I do have to walk into the branch with ID to get an address changed apparently, so this might be problematic...
                    Last edited by evilcartman; 10 January 2013, 19:38.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDrowningButWaving View Post
                      Having moved house in spring of last year, I still have Royal Mail redirection in place. I've been corresponding with my OCs (and DCAs) using the old address. However at least one DCA has picked up on my new address, and has switched to writing to me here.

I Don't know where they picked it up from, maybe DVLA, or I saw a post that Niddy made about the Post Office selling info about new addresses from their redirection database.

Are they allowed to do that,btw?
                      I moved early last year, and still have redirection in place, and will do until the PO tell me no more. Anyone not communicating with me I've not told them, relying on redirection to look after that score, but the funny thing is I had trouble with some not recognising the new address once I informed them!

Comment

Working...
                      X