GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Announcement - Latest OFT Guidance 15.10.2010 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement - Latest OFT Guidance 15.10.2010

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement - Latest OFT Guidance 15.10.2010

Hi,

Just a quick reminder that all templates have now been updated to reflect the recent OFT guidance, that does not affect the consumer one iota! For full details, and to see the discussion thread, please click this link: ---> Is this the End?

My comments, copied from Moderator cPanel - dated Tues Oct 12th

I think, having read it that it does set clear guidelines HOWEVER what is interesting is that yet again it is geared to helping lenders avoid their responsibilities..... that said, it does clearly say that the recon must contain all elements of the original document so I guess they would have to prove that all the terms were on one side (the four corners) and signed by both the debtor and creditor with both sets of addresses on - now, we all know an application form fails this as there are no prescribed terms so basically when lenders send an application form this will always remain unenforceable as that does not constitute an agreement.

Similarly, it appears they can "make a statement advising they always done XYZ prior to acceptance" - but such statement, if taken to court, would require proof that the debtor did indeed agree to the original terms and sign the agreement thus executing it - so in layman, all recon's can be argued on individual merit.

The logical thing to do would be to start a database of agreements for month and year, so we can see for ourselves exactly what forms were issued by each lender, for instance we know that when virgin launched they used a quick application form with very little info requested, so these would always be unenforceable but as the terms were on the reverse in tiny font, the debtor could argue that they were never shown the terms (cos they signed the application at the front, not the back). So in this case, if MBNA now issued a lawful "RECONSTITUTED" agreement for the same type of product (and relied on it at court) our database would prove that they also issued THIS type of agreement so how can their statement to the court be 100% accurate..

So, my next move will be to post on legal beagles, cag and mse and try and create a database of agreements that would have been issued and file them online publicly for all to see, in month/year order.

I am not too concerned at the guidance at this stage..... but that may change! lol
    All updated Templates can be found here: ---> Unenforceability Templates

With a couple of additions added here:

The official OFT Guidance can be found here: ---> OFT Guidance on UE - October 2010
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Discussion Thread Link

To discuss this topic, please visit the actual discussion thread direct here: Is this the End?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X