GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script American Express - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Express

Hi

I paid my Amex card off about ten years ago but I can't find any statements!
    I've still got my membership number but I can't remember if I paid PPI!

Can I sill claim and how can I find out if I paid PPI?

Thanks

Re: American Express

Hi, you could send the letter in this post http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...mp-Unfair-Fees . You would need to give your address at the time that you had PPI.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
      Hi, you could send the letter in this post http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...mp-Unfair-Fees . You would need to give your address at the time that you had PPI.
      It looks like I need to send an SAR first then to find out if I paid PPI.
      Is there a template for the standard SAR and do I send a fee?

Comment

I have sent speculative letters; they may refuse your SAR as it is over 6 years since your account was closed.
        The SAR can be found here http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...mplate-Letters ; you need to send £10. If they say that they don't have any information, fight it!
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Ok so I got all my data and it's very interesting reading!!!
          I had tosell my house in 2007 to pay Amex as they put an order on my property. Upon completion the outstanding balance was paid but on the statements they have sent me I over paid by $1086.45 which shows on the statement below but then that changes to pounds(£1086.45)on 28th October 2007statement .
          I then had a refund from PayPal for £50.38 November 3rd 2011 taking the new CR to £1136.83!!
          Then they close my account with zero balance 10/09/13??!!

Also to go back on the PPI claim they sent me data disclosure showing I paid PPI from 03/01/2001 to 28/02/2006 when it was cancelled, it shows I paid £1075.97.

They have only sent statements from 29/04/2006 but my account was open 14/11/2000.

1) Can I reclaim the PPI?
          2) can I reclaim the overpayment?
          3) Can I tag Niddy in this thread?
          Attached Files

Comment

It really is worth trying to for I think i would xx
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by sad View Post
              I had to sell my house in 2007 to pay Amex as they put an order on my property. Upon completion the outstanding balance was paid but on the statements they have sent me I over paid by $1086.45 which shows on the statement below but then that changes to pounds(£1086.45)on 28th October 2007statement .
              I then had a refund from PayPal for £50.38 November 3rd 2011 taking the new CR to £1136.83
              Did you sell your house voluntarily or were you repossessed or did you have a court Order for Sale? It looks like there was only a Restriction (not a full CO) placed on the property in 2006 and then a possible IVA at some point too. I hope you were treated fairly by Amex (and their solicitors Brachers) at the time.

Regardless of that it does appear there was a £1k overpayment following the sale which has been languishing in their account for nine years. You want that back don't you? With interest.

And you want your PPI refunded (if it was missold) too.

Plan B x

Comment

I don't think we were treated fairly no!! It was Amex that refused our IVA and then got the order on our property.
                I had a letter from Amex back around the time of me paying it off saying my account was closed!
                Yes I want the over payment back and the PPI that was missold!!!
                Also they never wrote to me to tell me about the over payment nor sent any statements after the balance was paid off!

How do I go about getting all this back?

Comment

Can anyone help me with claiming my money back and if possible the PPI?

Comment

sorry Sad,
                    have no Idea on how to help with this, Niddy is away at the moment do you think you can hang on till his return and one of us will flag your thread up for his attention?
                    will also see if we can find anyone that may have info on what to do.

but in the wait till then,I think you would need to write to amex , stating that you have reason to believe that there was an over payment of x amount and asking where the over-payment has gone.Just keep it direct to the point for now, then when you get a reply we can ask around about what to do next

the PPI, you need to send a letter to claim it back, you would need to state that the PPI was paid from XX/xx till xx/xx and believe it was miss sold and give the reason why, eg; you were told you had to take it, you didn't ask for it but they added it anyway, you didn't meet the criteria covered by the policy, you didn't need it as you had other insurance.

you can hang on to see it anyone else has any ideas x NW
                    Last edited by nightwatch; 27 April 2016, 13:46.

Comment

Nightwatch is spot-on there; it's what I did with a couple of mine. Speculative letter, with partial information on dates, along with the ombudsman PPI questionnaire in an envelope. I had ZERO Egg card information, but I wrote to them anyway, with a couple of previous addresses ... result is I've been awarded a 4-figure sum in excess of £9k. My Marbles was the same, & I have one or two others acknowledged & will hopefully come up trumps.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                        sorry Sad,
                        have no Idea on how to help with this, Niddy is away at the moment do you think you can hang on till his return and one of us will flag your thread up for his attention?

but in the wait till then,I think you would need to write to amex , stating that you have reason to believe that there was an over payment of x amount and asking where the over-payment has gone.Just keep it direct to the point for now, then when you get a reply we can ask around about what to do next

the PPI, you need to send a letter to claim it back, you would need to state that the PPI was paid from XX/xx till xx/xx and believe it was miss sold and give the reason why, eg; you were told you had to take it, you didn't ask for it but they added it anyway, you didn't meet the criteria covered by the policy, you didn't need it as you had other insurance.

I didn't agree or know that I didn't have to have PPI at the time, I was under the impression I had to have it!!
                        Should I put "I didn't ask for it but they added it anyway"? Should I send it with a Ombudsman questionnaire like ABF says?

Shall I send the PPI claim in with the letter asking about the over payment?

Am I sending them both to the same address?

I emailed Niddy with a link he/she said they would look at it when back from holiday but if you could flag him/her that would be great thanks...

Comment

niddy is a HE,
                          I think you would send separate letters even though they are going to the same address as there may different departments that deal with it

yes I would enclose the ombudsman questionnaire in with the PPI claim , if you look at that I believe it should give a list of option why you think it was miss sold, put the same reason in the letter, as you say you thought you had to have it, so it obviously was not explained to you that you didn't ,you were mislead by the lack of that information from the start.

I will make a note to flag this up for Nid on his return, I hope he's having better weather then we are x

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                            sorry Sad,

i agree

You'll be arguing based on only recently realising you "may" have been mis-sold ppi due to press & media coverage - then after checking your paperwork you realised there was ppi which you never knew about and that you always presumed you had to have (as part of the account standard features) which you were told about at time of account inception....
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by sad View Post
                              Ok so I got all my data and it's very interesting reading!!!
                              I had tosell my house in 2007 to pay Amex as they put an order on my property. Upon completion the outstanding balance was paid but on the statements they have sent me I over paid by $1086.45 which shows on the statement below but then that changes to pounds(£1086.45)on 28th October 2007statement .
                              I then had a refund from PayPal for £50.38 November 3rd 2011 taking the new CR to £1136.83!!
                              Then they close my account with zero balance 10/09/13??!!

Also to go back on the PPI claim they sent me data disclosure showing I paid PPI from 03/01/2001 to 28/02/2006 when it was cancelled, it shows I paid £1075.97.

They have only sent statements from 29/04/2006 but my account was open 14/11/2000.

1) Can I reclaim the PPI?
                              2) can I reclaim the overpayment?
                              3) Can I tag Niddy in this thread?
                              1. Yes as per above / Nightwatch's post above & quoted by me
                              2. Yes - as advised, treat that as a separate issue and stipulate you were unaware until you obtained SAR info and now you wish to reclaim it with interest and compensation for the blatant abuse in retaining an overpayment etc
                              3. Already done but I was away
                              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X