GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script HFC PPI Claim Successful, but Significantly Understated - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HFC PPI Claim Successful, but Significantly Understated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HFC PPI Claim Successful, but Significantly Understated

In May this year we sent off a PPI Questionnaire to HFC Bank (now HSBC) covering a loan taken out in 1990 and a flexi-loan (where you are issued with a cheque book, etc.) taken out in 1991. On 31/7/14, we had a letter back upholding our claim. We had to fill out and sign a form accepting this redress. This included the wording "We accept this offer of £x in full and final settlement of our Payment Protection Insurance complaint with regards to account numbers a and b against HSBC Bank plc."

In September, whilst browsing the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) website, I noticed that the Compensatory Interest (CI) - in £x above - should have been at 15% for the years 1990 to April,1993, and not the 8% they paid. I wrote to them on 22/9/14 pointing this out, but have not received a reply. I sent a reminder this weekend, but fear that will be ignored too.

This isn't really a PPI problem. I think there are three main queries I have - i) HSBC should have known that the CI should have been paid at 15%, are they committing some sort of fraud?, ii) have we signed away our rights to the extra 15% CI because of the "We accept..." wording? and iii) what's the best way of expediting a resolution (given that I'm in my late-60s with some health issues, and am a bit worried about the length of time an approach to FOS might take )?

Re: HFC PPI Claim Successful, but Significantly Understated

Gentle bump, since legalistic might Niddy or Andrew have an opinion?

Comment

Just go to the FOS mate. They'll calculate the correct redress, for now don't respond to the offer.

Was the offer within the last 6 months, if not you can't use the FOS.

How much was the offer, approximately?
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Sorry not to be absolutely clear - we accepted the offer. It was only in September that I found that they'd short-changed us.

I'll email you a copy of the sheet where we say "We accept...". It also has the financial details of the offer.

Comment

Ahhhh ok. I'll reply to your email later mate.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Just peeking in, as I am occasionally caught doing. That earlier 15% CI (aka SI) rate is interesting, as I have only been aware of the current 8% in claims I have dealt with - and that is quite a large drop. Well spotted that man !!!

Much as I would like to be proven wrong, I doubt if we can make a fraud 'rap' stick - but given the huge resources that the banks have, I doubt if they can reasonably get away with a plea of ignorance, either !!! As I understand it, they may be guilty of 'mis-representation' at the least - and that should surely negate any 'full & final' acceptance letters you may have been conned into signing, Col.S.

JMHO, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
              Just peeking in, as I am occasionally caught doing. That earlier 15% CI (aka SI) rate is interesting, as I have only been aware of the current 8% in claims I have dealt with - and that is quite a large drop. Well spotted that man !!!

Much as I would like to be proven wrong, I doubt if we can make a fraud 'rap' stick - but given the huge resources that the banks have, I doubt if they can reasonably get away with a plea of ignorance, either !!! As I understand it, they may be guilty of 'mis-representation' at the least - and that should surely negate any 'full & final' acceptance letters you may have been conned into signing, Col.S.

JMHO, though.
              At least guilty of breaching CPUTR I would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheyMeanMe View Post
                At least guilty of breaching CPUTR I would have thought.
                That's a point, DTMM. Perhaps Regulation 6 applies - especially if they try and pull the old "you accepted the offer in F & F settlement."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/...4/regulation/6

Comment

Working...
                X