GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Any wise words welcome, please! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any wise words welcome, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any wise words welcome, please!

Hi, just after a bit of advice if possible please.

I’m 35 years old, married (no financial ties at all) & with no children.
    I would very much like to have a baby, but currently live in a 1 bedroom appartment which is totally inpractical with a baby & also time/my age will soon become an issue.

I have been in a debt management plan with Payplan which has now ended.

I have got 2 other accounts, both of which have defaults & both of which are enforceable;
    Cabot : £1,678
    0% interest
    paying £100 / month
    defaulted March 2009

Lloyds TSB inhouse collections : £8,960
    0% interest
    paying £100 / month
    defaulted October 2010

In December 2011 I offered a 22% f&f settlement figure (intending to increase it monthly until accepted) to Cabot, but they kindly chose to ignore me!

Do I;

a)
    - let the Cabot account take its course & end in July 2013
    - pay off the Lloyds account when I have enough savings
    doing this plan I will obviously have no savings left but will be debt free, although with 3 defaults

or

b)
    - let the Cabot account take its course & end in July 2013
    - let the Lloyds account take its course & end in September 2019, (but falls off credit reference agency files in October 2016)
    doing this plan I will hopefully have built up decent funds to move house in a few years,
    but will have the Lloyds account with an outstanding balance for much longer

I know that one day I should be able to have a joint mortgage with my husband & move house, but my heart sinks when I think how foolish I have been in the past & how any sensible chances of having a baby are diminshing just because of my finances.

My head is telling me that option b) is the way I should go, but, I also like the idea of being debt free (excluding my mortgage). Would I benefit in any way if I went with option a)?

Any wise words would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

JC.
    Last edited by Jacobs Cracker; 5 February 2012, 23:01.

Re: Any wise words welcome, please!

Golly, if we all waited to become debt free before having a baby the world would be underpopulated ! Babies are expensive but you'll get Child Benefit to ease the cash-flow so not all bad It takes nine months to produce a baby the last time I checked, so that first debt of yours will be almost cleared by the time of arrival. You asked for wise words so here are mine: Go For It and don't look back

Comment

Thanks PlanB, I appreciate your thoughts.
      I so do desperately want to do just go for it, but it wouldn't be fair in a 1 bedroom flat (plus I really have no where to put a cot / clothes / toys etc) & don't stand a chance of getting another mortgage the way the things currently are.
      I'm thinking that I should save up for the new house & just keep paying the 2 debts off at £100 per month while they are both at 0%, but other people on the other hand are telling me to pay the debts off. Would I benefit at all if I did pay them off? Afterall, the defaults would still be there.
      Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobs Crackers View Post
        Thanks PlanB, I appreciate your thoughts.
        I so do desperately want to do just go for it, but it wouldn't be fair in a 1 bedroom flat (plus I really have no where to put a cot / clothes / toys etc) & don't stand a chance of getting another mortgage the way the things currently are.
        I'm thinking that I should save up for the new house & just keep paying the 2 debts off at £100 per month while they are both at 0%, but other people on the other hand are telling me to pay the debts off. Would I benefit at all if I did pay them off? Afterall, the defaults would still be there.
        Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
        Hi mom of one here ! I could fit what you have for debt in one hand honest! Babies are not as expensive as you thinka nd the best part is for a long time all they need is love. esp when young. PS cots are small fit at the foot of your bed... and Babies don't need toys for the first wee while they roam around you won't need much honest we would live in my 1bdrm flat in leeds when my son was first working and we managed just put some toys playmats in the livingroom and cleared away at night. (we had another house in scotland but i had to be in leeds for work) and clothing.. LOL my son had X amount of sleepers and not many outfits why? Babies grow at rapid rates and its too hard to get them dressed and undressed 5 times a day lol so sleepers are a darn sight easier.

You could EASILY do what you want in a 1bdrm I say get pregnant if you want (remember it takes 9 months for the wee one to pop out!) and for the first 6 months if not longer you will probably have it in your room with you.. There I just bought you a good 15 months in your 1bdrm place now where you can still live and function and save osme cash.

You will not benefit paying the debts off asap keep your money make itmanagable for you.. the defaults wont go anywhere!

Personally I would pay as you are and obviously your living ok yea?

So pay until 2013 your Caboot is then closed.. then take that 100.00 you were paying Caboot and add it to lloyds and pay off lloyds a bit quicker.
        Last edited by jen_br; 6 February 2012, 00:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobs Crackers View Post

I’m 35 years old, married (no financial ties at all) & with no children.
          I would very much like to have a baby, but currently live in a 1 bedroom appartment which is totally inpractical with a baby & also time/my age will soon become an issue.
          Plan B's a Mum who had a baby at 37 years old, so those Defaults will have fallen off your CRA files long before your biological clock stops ticking
          Last edited by PlanB; 6 February 2012, 01:27.

Comment

Thank you,
            I need to have a serious talk to my better half .............
            & then get making babies!
            x

Comment

Working...
            X