GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script council tax and court - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

council tax and court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council tax and court

I paid 2 months council tax in Aug for Aug and Sept as I lost my job. I rang them today and paid 200.00 as I couldn't pay Oct as I was out of work. They promptly advised that it has gone to court, for 20 th Dec. We never had a letter from them even though they insist they sent one and are clashing it as 2 months missed and as today is last day of Nov its 3 months. We have nothing from the court. Can they do this? And what will happen next?

Re: council tax and court

Are you actually in arrears?

Yea they can cancel prepayment etc but don't usually start court in the same financial year of non payment.

I never pay and then pay chunks off at end of year * mental note to pay in January niddy lol * and only once did they threaten me with court and that's cos £100 was owing from last year. I paid it - court stopped.

Please clarify your arrears and arrears in each year or that you're upto date now?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

We pay 164 a month. Last years is fully up to date. They say there is a balance of 635. At the moment and that includes 50.00 court fee. We have Dec, Jan and Feb left to pay so that means there is 88.00 arrears on it at the moment. There was a month from last year which carried over but that was due to an error that the council made. We moved into the borough mid year and they mis calculated.

Comment

Whaaaat? £88 in arrears and they doing court?

Sod that. Argue it. It's bollocks.

Mate it's december and my bill stands at £1578
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Do they have to provide me with the details of were the court is And paperwork? As I would have not found out anything only I didn't use the automated service to pay today as I was unsure of the remaining balance for the year?

Comment

Yes they do.

You need to ring the council tax enforcement section and speak to them. Easy to resolve.

Comment

Im going to ring them and rip some heads off them on Friday.

Comment

Flowerpower do we have the same council by any chance t and m as that is what they said to me today.

Comment

Lol my council didn't get a word in tbh so I'm unsure if they take that approach!!

Comment

[QUOTE=jimjim;132817]I paid 2 months council tax in Aug for Aug and Sept as I lost my job. /QUOTE]
                    If you've lost your job you may be entitled to Council Tax Benefit. No income = no Council Tax either in most cases. Get them to send you the benefit application form when you call. Councils usually back off if they know there's a claim outstanding. Even if your claim fails it will give you some breathing space over Christmas and a Magistrates Court Summons should be instantly withdrawn. It's got to be worth a try

Comment

All councils have their own policies for dealing with late payers - Niddy is obviously jammy!

As above, try to speak to your council to sort something out as these things are automated. Also, if the numpkins on the front desk won't help, ask to be put through to the Council Tax Recovery Team. If they won't help, ask to be put through to the Head of Revenues. If they won't help e-mail your CEO asking for a copy of the Councils Complaints Procedure and explaining why.

IF it does go to court, make sure you attend and state that you have tried everything possible to come to a repayment arrangement with the council. If the do get a Liability Order, make sure you know exactly how much it is, as soon as it hits the bailiffs the figures will change. Post up again and we'll do what we can to get it back to the council.

Hopefully that won't be necessary!

Comment

I'm taking a half day Friday to sort it out. I'm livid over it. I know in august I was ahead. They don't count that though. They just reduce your monthly payments for the rest of the year, which they didn't tell me which they never told me. I'll let you know what they say on Friday.

Comment

I rang them today and go no joy from the bloke I was talking to except email addresses for the manager of revenues and the head of the council. I also an waiting on a call back from senior manager on Monday.

Comment

[QUOTE=PlanB;132866]
                            Originally posted by jimjim View Post
                            I paid 2 months council tax in Aug for Aug and Sept as I lost my job. /QUOTE]
                            If you've lost your job you may be entitled to Council Tax Benefit. No income = no Council Tax either in most cases. Get them to send you the benefit application form when you call. Councils usually back off if they know there's a claim outstanding. Even if your claim fails it will give you some breathing space over Christmas and a Magistrates Court Summons should be instantly withdrawn. It's got to be worth a try
                            OR learn to speak with an Irish accent and tell the judge you owe nothing as you sare a freeman on the land.

I wished I could find that case. Its a joke really but he got away with it.

regards
                            Garlok

Comment

Ha ha I am Irish actually, I think that could be what's up. I'm not in the borough long enough and I think they are trying to lay down the law.

Comment

Working...
                              X