GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Statutory demand, DCA or LBA? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Statutory demand, DCA or LBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statutory demand, DCA or LBA?

One of our clients owes us a little over £1,000 for work carried out in July and August. He paid for May and June (all be they 4 weeks late each time). We have texts and emails where he keeps saying he will pay for July and August and lots of lame reasons why he hasn't yet. Then out of the blue he sent us an email saying he revokes his request for us to build his website and is now refusing to pay.
    Well the work had been carried out already so we want our money.

I need to know the best way to approach this as he is refusing to pay.

Re: Statutory demand, DCA or LBA?

No Idea, but I suspect someone will have in a while xx
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Was there a cancellation clause in the contract with a specific notice period?

If you've done the work as agreed in the contract then he owes you the money.

The next step could be a Letter Before Action stating (a) what he owes and why he owes it (b) what you expect him to do about it i.e. pay in full withiin 14 days, and (c) what will happen if he doesn't i.e. you will issue legal proceedings without further notice.

After that, if he doesn't pay you could issue a county court claim using MCOL https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

A Statutory Demand is the first step towards forcing a person into bankruptcy which is a bit heavy handed. Anyway from this month the minimum level of debt for doing this rose to £5,000 so it wouldn't be appropriate.

Plan B x

Comment

Awesome, thanks Plan B!

Comment

see told you xx
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

ooh one more thing.. can I email the LBA to him along with the outstanding invoice or should it be sent signed for?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
            see told you xx
            Everyone on this forum is ACE!!

Comment

Originally posted by patchouli View Post
              can I email the LBA to him along with the outstanding invoice or should it be sent signed for?
              I would send it by post with proof of posting. Email can be a bit abrupt and in-your-face which may not get you the desired result (payment) if it scares or angers your contractor.

There's a LBA template you can download on the Which? website which you can tweak to suit your circumstances. It's actually called a Letter Before Claim (not Action) these days:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...ms-court-claim

Plan B x

Comment

Is this letter ok? I found this and thought it sounded good...

https://www.rocketlawyer.co.uk/asset...ore-action.png

Comment

One of our clients owes us a little over £1,000 for work carried out in July and August. He paid for May and June (all be they 4 weeks late each time). We have texts and emails where he keeps saying he will pay for July and August and lots of lame reasons why he hasn't yet. Then out of the blue he sent us an email saying he revokes his request for us to build his website and is now refusing to pay.
                  Well the work had been carried out already so we want our money.

I need to know the best way to approach this as he is refusing to pay.
                  Do what I do - remove the admin facilities and close his site! We build loads of sites and only had one person refuse to pay, so we just closed his brand new site and sold it to someone else
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

ooh one more thing.. can I email the LBA to him along with the outstanding invoice or should it be sent signed for?

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone on this forum is ACE!!
                    Is this letter ok? I found this and thought it sounded good...

https://www.rocketlawyer.co.uk/asset...ore-action.png
                    You really want to risk taking a claim for £500 - why? Write it off and close his site - we really don't like seeing anyone send claims, it goes against everything we stand for - there is ALWAYS another way to resolve things without using and abusing the courts.

You need to weigh up your odds, if you're a small / family IT firm then are you sure a contract was signed? Was the contract lawful to begin? Hence I don't do any of that - I take it on verbal authority and retain all admin passwords and access until the verbal invoice is paid. If it isn't forthcoming then I close the site.

Last thing I would ever do, or suggest you do, would be issue a claim - absolutely bonkers considering the small amount of money involved.
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

It's a LOT of money for us, but you're right, I doubt he will pay anyway, he hasn't paid the rent on his shop for months either.. I'll write it off.. His site has been closed for weeks with a suspended due to non payment holder up.

Comment

Closing down someone's website could be counterproductive if the site generates the customer's income.

If they can't pay not won't pay, putting them out of business will not get the OP her money even if it gives some momentary satisfaction.

A LBA to prompt serious discussion over recovering a £1,000 debt is not necessarily bonkers especially as a grand may be a lot of money to the OP who is in debt and has children to feed. Hopefully it will result in payment if only by agreed instalments without the need to go to court.

Plan B x

Comment

oh gawd, now I'm confused... lol

- - - Updated - - -

Suspending websites is the norm in this industry though.... He pays for a service, dont pay, no service... same as any other really.

Comment

It's a LOT of money for us, but you're right, I doubt he will pay anyway, he hasn't paid the rent on his shop for months either.. I'll write it off.. His site has been closed for weeks with a suspended due to non payment holder up.
                            Our posts crossed. A thousand pounds is a lot of money to me too.

I was explaining your options not goading you into taking court action.

You've no need to write it off, but you may need to wait a long time for it if his business is doing badly. I assume the debt won't become SB for six years so you've plenty of time to decide your next move

Plan B x

Comment

I did some digging about..... The man is a crook, he's wanted in another country for fraud and going through court in this country for stealing £400k from a pensioner... ffs how did we get hooked up with him! The things you find on google!!
                              He wont pay, I need to convince hubby to forget about him.

Comment

Working...
                              X