GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt and moving abroad - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt and moving abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt and moving abroad

Hi All

Decided last year I've had a gut full of living in this country and being a slave to the banks, so I'm in the process of selling everything and planning on travelling for the foreseeable. I have debts of around £40k which some are getting paid via my own dmp and some get nothing. I'm struggling with what to do about them while away, the options I see are,

1. Stop paying and just go!
    2. Go and keep paying through the DMP
    3. Tell them I'm moving abroad and offer a F&F

All the debts have been defaulted and with DCA's accept 2 sainsbury's loans who to be fair do not hassle me at all unlike all the others.

I am looking at travelling/living abroad for 5 years + ( who knows what the future holds ) but as things stand I would like to be able to return to the UK at sometime in the future permanently.

Does anyone here have experience of doing this or anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks in advance

Re: Debt and moving abroad

Originally posted by GlobalC View Post
    Does anyone here have experience of doing this or anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks in advance
    Well I'm not going to offer you any advice........

But if I were in your shoes I'd just go..... stop all payment and enjoy ur life
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post

Seems like a great idea considering the wringer the creditors have put me through! However I would like to be able to return to the UK at some point, if I took this option would I not come back to a raft of CCJ's ?

Comment

Pepe2008 Heading for the Sun!

Have a read here ^^^^^

even it they did go for a ccj so what ...how can they enforce it ?

NO property no CO
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Do CCJ's remain on your file until satisfied though? As there may come a point where I either A. inherit a house or B decide to move back and get a mortgage. Of course I may find a new life somewhere else in which case its irrelevant but I still have family back here and a mother that may need my help in later life

Comment

A County Court Judgment remains on your credit report for 6 years, irrespective of whether you subsequently pay off the debt, unless this is done within one calendar month of the date of the County Court Judgment and the Court's procedures regarding the filing of an acknowledgement from the lender are followed to he letter.

Comment

ditto if me
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                ditto if me

Moi aussi

Where are you thinking of going Global (what an apt username )

PlanB x

Comment

I'd clear off and enjoy myself to.

Let them get on with it!

Comment

Unless I've got this wrong you do own property (I've posted on your thread http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...l=1#post380307) which makes you vulnerable to a charging order following any CCJ in future. A CO can be placed on any property asset even if you don't live in it as your "home".

I'm also aware that your property(s) are up for sale. If that all goes through before you fly off then all well and good.

It's about timing.

PlanB x

Comment

Hi,
                      Until reading Plan B's response (that you have property) i would have gone for option 1 although as said: its all about timing. Good luck, keep us all posted.
                      SA
                      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Hmm as a peson who has done this once a upon a time... They can hire someone to find you and they can ask you to pay... then you say no. ...

point is enjoy!

Comment

Good luck whatever you decide x
                          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Hiya Global
                            we intend to do the same thing, If OH pulls his finger out and decorates so we can sell,we will be living in Spain this time next year( if it is an old post that you are reading He didn't do it and we may go next year)

Comment

Many thanks to all your responses

Yes I currently do have property but these will be sold before I leave. I have a tomlin order in place at mo where when creditor tried to get a CO but failed!!!

I intend to go sometime this year and will be heading outside of Europe, The plan is to just travel slowly!! I do however have family and will be popping back once a year but plan on being away for at least 5 years - assuming my new business plan works!

Jen - I can assure you they won't find me, however they may hassle my family

PlanB - gonna head to Thailand first and travel around Asia for the first year, intend to go in about 6 months all being well - still need to sell those damn flats though!

Quick question

I have already sold my house and haven't told any creditors. I have my mail forwarded on and have some creditors wishing to review my DMP, I have not bothered responding , should I do so while I'm still here in the UK?

Comment

Working...
                              X