GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt and moving abroad - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt and moving abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debt and moving abroad

the answer to the last question is :it's up to you. I would tend to ignore but if they get a bit heavy before you go just write and tell them nothing has changed and your payment will stay the same, OR you may have to reduce the payment coz things have changed.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Quick update - The last flat now has an accepted offer on it and should hopefully be sold within the next 1-2 months phew! So that means I have no assets left.

Planning on going travelling end of June/July, I have still been paying my DMP payments up till now, if you were me would you just stop paying them now or wait till I've moved abroad?

The last flat sale I have to pay the mortgage on. I asked if I could have a payment holiday until the flat had sold, they said no. Could I just default on it and pay them off when the flat sells or will this cause problems.

Lastly should I tell the creditors I've moved abroad or notify the courts that I have in anticipation of the CCJ's?

Thanks

Comment

I think it would be a sporting gesture to send letters to all your creditors the day you fly out.

Dear DCA
        I am writing to inform you that I no longer reside in the UK. I do not have any assets in the UK, ie; no car, no home , no body,
        Please do not send a door step collector as there is no doorstep to collect,
        many thanks for your correspondence over the years,
        I shall miss your jovial banter, the silly threatening letters , the ones asking for a payment towards the office Xmas party.
        the one telling me who I was and where I live really made me laugh, If you can find me you could send me that one again as I may have moved to so many wonderful lands by that time, I could of forgotten who I am

I shall think of you all as I look out over a deep blue sea with the sun setting and raise my glass, say a special toast to you all,
        "get me now you buggers" xx

Global
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Haha, definitely up for writing a final swansong to them in that effect!

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
            I think it would be a sporting gesture to send letters to all your creditors the day you fly out.

Dear DCA
            I am writing to inform you that I no longer reside in the UK. I do not have any assets in the UK, ie; no car, no home , no body,
            Please do not send a door step collector as there is no doorstep to collect,
            many thanks for your correspondence over the years,
            I shall miss your jovial banter, the silly threatening letters , the ones asking for a payment towards the office Xmas party.
            the one telling me who I was and where I live really made me laugh, If you can find me you could send me that one again as I may have moved to so many wonderful lands by that time, I could of forgotten who I am

I shall think of you all as I look out over a deep blue sea with the sun setting and raise my glass, say a special toast to you all,
            "get me now you buggers" xx

Global
            Love it NW
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by GlobalC View Post
              The last flat now has an accepted offer on it and should hopefully be sold within the next 1-2 months

. . . . The last flat sale I have to pay the mortgage on. I asked if I could have a payment holiday until the flat had sold, they said no. Could I just default on it and pay them off when the flat sells or will this cause problems.
              If you default on your mortgage now that would be a high risk strategy because it could frustrate the sale especially if they start possession proceedings as a result.

If it's a formal Buy-to-Let mortgage (not a Residential one) the property can be taken into receivership after only two missed payments which by-passes the need to repossess the property through the court process. The lender would not need to comply with Pre-Action Protocol on repossession. BTL loans are not regulated as they are in effect commercial loans.

I would strongly suggest you keep paying until at least exchange of contracts on the intended sale.

Plan B x

Comment

Originally posted by GlobalC View Post
                The last flat now has an accepted offer on it and should hopefully be sold within the next 1-2 months phew!

. . . . Planning on going travelling end of June/July
                Has that flat sale gone through and are you all packed and ready to go travelling?

Plan B x

Comment

Nightwatch - i loved your sporting letter. Classic!

Global - any further forward on the plans?
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
                  X