GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt collector agency requiring personal details. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt collector agency requiring personal details.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt collector agency requiring personal details.

Hi all,

Firstly apologies if this is the incorrect section.

I've recently been contacted via email from a company called "TENRON CREDIT MANAGEMENT LIMITED"

They're requesting me to provide them with my name/address/dob before they reveal the matter they wish to discuss - I understand this is a legitimate practice but I'm just wondering what I have to provide if anything?

I have a very strong feeling that they're chasing a utility debt unpaid by a house share I was apart of at university, long story short the two flat mates I lived with refused to pay the bills, so I was lumbered with paying them all. I accepted responsibility to this and paid one of the bills in full. One of the other utility bills let me remove my name from the bill and informed me I would be no longer responsible if I paid my fair share - I of course did this and was hoping this was behind me.

I have heard nothing for nearly 3 years, until the above email came through, I'm strict with money management so I know unless mistaken this is the only possibility for a debt collectors need to contact me.

I would guess I have remained responsible for this utility bill despite being told otherwise, and as the other flat mates will have not paid they've deciced to come back and chase me.

Do I have anything to stand on?
    Can I just ignore the email and wait a more legitimate method of contacting me i.e post?
    Do these types of bills have any deadlines, it's almost 3 years with no contact - the energy company have my details and I've heard nothing since I was removed from the bill, I'm guessing this was passed onto debt collectors (to collect the reaming debt) and they've had no luck with the others and have decided to pursue me?

Thanks very much for you time.

Re: Debt collector agency requiring personal details.

If it were me I would just ignore the email and if they get in touch by post just let us know.

BTW Don't talk to them on the phone if they call you...not even to say who you are.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Lockton and welcome to AAD
      I'm glad you came here first before responding to Tenron.
      They are out of order emailing you to ask for personal details. That's against Office of Fair Trading Guidelines and you are under no obligation to do so.
      This is a classic fishing exercise which may or may not relate to any debt you owe.

They just send these out to anybody with similar sounding names in the hope someone will bite. If anyone does they may well find their details are attached to a debt they don't owe.

Under no circumstances should you respond to this. If perchance they find your phone number too, don't discuss it or give them any personal details on the phone either.

Don't do anything until/unless they contact you by letter, giving details of the debt they're trying to collect. If they do then let us know what they say before doing anything..

Sounds to me as if you've already paid more than your fair share from your student digs, so ignore this crew and put it behind you, unless they come up with something concrete that needs dealing with, in which case we can help.

Elsa x

Comment

Thanks both of you for a very prompt response.

I shall do as you advise and ignore until more offical methods are used!

Hopefully that'll be the last I hear!

I'll take a look around this great looking forum in the mean time

Comment

Hi Lockton,
          Glad you found the forum before replying to these lot. You are in good hands here.
          Cheers
          SA
          When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by lockton View Post
            I shall do as you advise and ignore until more offical methods are used!
            Even should you be contacted via 'official methods' you are still under no obligation to provide any information asked for. If they call you on the phone, and ask you to provide information for 'security' purposes, just refuse to do so. Again you are under no obligation to provide this information to anyone calling you on the telephone.

'Fishing' is just exactly that - don't make their lives any easier by setting yourself up as a soft target.
            "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Do as I do when someone calls me

"Hi, it's Bob calling from Threats-R-Us"
              "Hi Bob"
              "for security can I verify some details with you"
              "you sure can"
              "Can you give me your full name and address"
              "erm.... I think you may need to look up the word "verify" and get back to me. What you're doing is asking me for personal details. Something every bank, advice service and government agency tell you not to do"

The minion then normally waffles about the DPA and hangs up shortly after.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Signature removed by site-admin. Please PM Niddy if you have any questions about why it's been removed.

Meany

Comment

Working...
              X