GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Expat UK Debt - advice needed - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expat UK Debt - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expat UK Debt - advice needed

Uk citizen, now retired and living in Asia, I have about 30k debt spread around 5 creditors, have not been able to pay anything for past 6 months creditors have been ok about that. Have kept them informed as to situation, and addresses in Asia.
    Planned to go bankrupt in Uk , but could not raise the funds to do that. Now just over 3 years away from Uk so cannot apply for Uk bankruptcy from abroad as has to be done within 3 years of leaving UK. .
    As I have been out of Uk for over 3 years one option is to go back to Uk to go bankrupt - Evidently I have to be in Uk for over 3 months to do that.Something I dont want to do, and expensive..
    No houses or assets in UK. creditors getting heavy about beginning payments again - which i cant do. Most of the debts are for several years, but one debt is within past year
    Have a monthly Occupational/government pension sent to Asia as only income.
    Friends suggest just ignore letters, emails from creditors. If I do that, what will happen?
    I do not plan to return to live in UK in the future.
    Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Expat UK Debt - advice needed

I'd forget about it, enjoy Thailand (??) and live the dream...... (my mate is selling up and moving there this year!)

They cannot touch you, you have nothing to worry about! Read your other thread (linky --> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...46-help-please ), replies there with links to similar situations
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

These will whither and die if you just stop contact and "disappear". Don't waste your efforts and cash trying to make payments.

In logistical terms, they will, if they haven't already, be sold on the secondary debt market (potentially many times) where companies buy at a percentage of face value and then try to recover more than that amount. Thus, if you have a non performing (read low chance of getting the money back) debt, it may trade for 10% to 20% of face value, less if older. If these companies can persuade 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 to pay it back then they make money. As for the rest, they simply put it back on the debt market where someone might pay 2% or 5% of the value, as it gets older.

Going for CCJs (from my experience) has been the play of those owed significant amounts and who have not sold the debt on. Not one of my many debts was converted to CCJ after it was sold and only 3 institutions on 4 cards ever went the CCJ route. All are now well over 6 years old so have long since fallen off credit files, even if someone could ever link the credit files back to me, which it appears they have never done.

My guess is that they will simply give up. However, don't tell them where you are or make up a sob story. Just stop contacting them.

Comment

Thank you for your advice.Much appreciated. My debts have been passed on by 4 of my 5 creditors. I intend to simply not reply any more. The only problem I do have is that they do know my address in Asia, and one creditor has my email.
        As they have those could they cause me problems?

Comment

You realise already that you have made an error in giving them a real email or a foreign address but unless you have bought in Thailand, it is unlikely you will live there forever.

However, you can simply ignore emails or change an email address in minutes. Then only give it out to people who you trust.

This is a civil matter, not criminal and can have no bearing on your visa status, except that you need to be of good standing and unless you have Bt800k in the bank, you are somewhat dependent upon showing your pension statements each year to get the extension based on retirement income of over Bt65k per month.

If they write, don't answer. A Thai wouldn't answer your letter if you moved on so just act like that.

Unless you owe hundreds of thousands, it simply isn't economical to chase down small debts of a couple of thousand each.

Start the clock now and wait 6 years. In all honesty, they will just give up and not proceed to CCJ. They know it cannot be enforced in Thailand.

Comment

Thank you again for the advice. The action (or lack of it!) you suggest makes good sense and I intend to not respond to emails and letters. Cheers.

Comment

Hi Moonie,
              Enjoy the dream mate. No looking back for you now!
              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

He probably spends all day in the Triangle Bar (Pattaya)
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by River Phoenix View Post
                  You realise already that you have made an error in giving them a real email or a foreign address but unless you have bought in Thailand, it is unlikely you will live there forever.

However, you can simply ignore emails or change an email address in minutes. Then only give it out to people who you trust.

This is a civil matter, not criminal and can have no bearing on your visa status, except that you need to be of good standing and unless you have Bt800k in the bank, you are somewhat dependent upon showing your pension statements each year to get the extension based on retirement income of over Bt65k per month.

If they write, don't answer. A Thai wouldn't answer your letter if you moved on so just act like that.

Unless you owe hundreds of thousands, it simply isn't economical to chase down small debts of a couple of thousand each.

Start the clock now and wait 6 years. In all honesty, they will just give up and not proceed to CCJ. They know it cannot be enforced in Thailand.
                  Wise words, however as for the last paragraph - the 6 years is a few years old already as Moonie hasn't acknowledged the debt for some time now so the 6 years to SB is in full effect already

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    He probably spends all day in the Triangle Bar (Pattaya)

i have heard some great things about the place (Thailand that is not the bar - i dare not look that up from work!).
                    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Lol probably wise matey. My mates moving there once his house sells. Eeek. Nutter.

A random lass and a banana occurred at that bar (with him)!!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        Lol probably wise matey. My mates moving there once his house sells. Eeek. Nutter.

A random lass and a banana occurred at that bar (with him)!!
                        ha ha.
                        Sounds quality mate. A friend of mine went there a couple of years ago to do diving (allegedly) and had some stories involving two gorgeous girls who were twins

Comment

Working...
                        X