Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPOWER!

Hi all,

So yet another tale of my debt! I moved out of my house back in April and have just got my final bill after arguing the balance with them for a few weeks. They seem to think I owe them nearly £1500.00 this goes back over the last 18 months or so.

Strangely enough I know someone who is quite high up in Npower who told me that after closing an account they can only bill you for the last 6 months, is this true as i can't find any information on this? Thanks GC

Re: NPOWER!

Sorry I can't help but Npower have been in a lot of trouble recently and appear to be desperately contacting customers over everything.

i did think that you could only be charged for the previous year's usage. PlanB should be the person who will know about this.

have you got or given any readings for this period? How does it compare to earlier usage?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

agree with Cym, have you been given a detailed account or did you have internet access. We are with Ovo and they check the usage against the payments every month so that you can't fall behind.

Comment

I was supposed to have written bills. However I had not recieved one until feb this year for the first time in over a year. It turns out that my direct debit got cancelled back in aug13 I received no letter about this and went 4 months of making no payment before i realised. No notice from Npower! I have checked the bills back 18 months and calculated what I owe from the meter readings, My figure comes out to just over £1k which I argued but they simply sent out another bill same as last one with no explanation. I just want to know how far they can charge back on a account that is closed

Comment

ok I would email the ceo complaints team executive.complaints@npower.com tell them the whole sorry story including that they don't appear to be listening. they will probably point out that it is your responsibility to check your DDs but they need to address why the DD was cancelled in the first place. Good luck let us know how you get on

Comment

Originally posted by GlobalC View Post
            I moved out of my house back in April and have just got my final bill after arguing the balance with them for a few weeks. They seem to think I owe them nearly £1500.00 this goes back over the last 18 months or so.

Strangely enough I know someone who is quite high up in Npower who told me that after closing an account they can only bill you for the last 6 months, is this true as i can't find any information on this?
            They were talking nonsense. The 'back-billing' limitation is 12 months and only if you've not been sent a bill for more than 12 months.

The utility company is only obliged to read the meter every two years and it's your obligation to provide access if the meter is sited inside the property (flats sometimes have them in the communal hall area).

How did the account get closed? Did you ring them up and give them a meter reading which you can prove with a digital photo? Did you give them the name of who was moving in (you're not obliged to do this but it stops them over-billing you from when they've established contact and set up a new account).

Did you give them your new address for the bill?

When did they last get an accurate reading and when did you last give them your own 'customer' reading?

Why did the direct debit get cancelled and how come you didn't notice it for four months? Can you prove it was cancelled by the utility company not by you? Your bank will confirm this for you in writing.

You may have an argument over the genuine amount of electricity consumption but slopping billing and the absence of meter reading may not be enough to get you out of paying. However it may get the bill reduced as a 'gesture of goodwill'.

I think before you make a complaint to the CEO you need to get your facts straight to know if you even have a complaint. If you do then by all means make a complaint which needs to contain all the facts and state where you think they have gone wrong with evidence. That last meter reading will be critical.

When the DD got cancelled you will have lost your DD discount which most utility companies provide. That could be a start for your complaint.

Comment

Working...
            X