GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Cabot / MacKenzie Hall - advice please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabot / MacKenzie Hall - advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot / MacKenzie Hall - advice please

Daughter's long term relationship ended acrimoniously in January 2009. Ex-partner left her with several debts - mostly in her name as his credit rating was shot. As far as we knew, all were either resolved later in 2009 or have since "died a death".

Then, out of the blue, about a year ago, daughter received a letter from Cabot Financial chasing £2,400 saying she has ignored previous correspondence etc. and to contact to make payment arrangement. No detail of who the alleged creditor was supposed to be it just referred to Cabot Financial. She ignored the letter to see if they chased with any more detail, but nothing further was received....

.... until this weekend, when she received a further letter from Cabot Financial saying that as no repayment schedule had been agreed and they knew of no good reason the debt had not been repaid, the collection of the outstanding £2400 was now being handed to MacKenzie Hall. This time the letter from Cabot referred to their "sub-client: Littlewoods/Barclaycard".

There was enclosed a standard "polite" letter from MacKenzie Hall asking her to contact them and basically saying that if she does not contact them within 10 days they will basically send more letters and/or phone calls. (Thankfully they do not have a phone number to call, only her address).

Daughter cannot recall a debt with Littlewoods (or Barclaycard), but cannot entirely rule it out as he left her with a few "surprises" and considering the trauma that surrounded their relationship ending cannot be absolutely certain either way. (Did Barclaycard buy out Littlewoods credit at some stage?)

In any event, if the debt is genuine, there is no way that any repayments would have been made since at least late 2008 probably earlier, as her ex basically "did a runner" from everything and any debts were left for us to sort out.

How worried should she be about Mackenzie Hall's involvement? I seem to recall reading that MH are well known for chasing statute barred debt? If this was enforceable, surely Cabot would still pursue repayment?

As I see it there are 3 possible options:

1. Continue to ignore as last year and see what transpires next, as any debt is most likely already statute barred or very close to.
    2. Send "prove it" template letter as daughter cannot recall anything to do with "Littlewoods".
    3. Send statute barred letter - probably inadvisable at this stage I would think.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Cabot / MacKenzie Hall - advice please

Option 2 - prove it letter.

--> http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...-New-Templates
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

Thanks Niddy! Impressively quick as ever!

Would you suggest sending to Mackenzie Hall or Cabot or both?

Comment

I'd ignore until Mc Hall contact you direct THEN send the prove it
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Like it! Will do.

Thanks a million!

Comment

Hi Niddy.

Sorry to pester you again with this one:-

A very mild Mc Hall letter now received - immediately offering 20% reduced f &f settement.

If this debt is genuine, it must date back to daughter's previous relationship that ended over 5 and 1/2 years ago and any possible debt will be almost certainly be statute barred (or very near).

Given the lack of threat in the letter, would you still suggest send the "prove it letter" at this stage, or perhaps wait for any stronger threat letters to string it along a little longer? With daughter having ignored previous correspondence from Cabot to date, I don't want to give them or Mc Hall a "bite" unnecessarily.

Comment

Barclays covered all Woolwich, index and Littlewoods cc and store cards
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

If it were me, id wait until you get another letter.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                  If it were me, id wait until you get another letter.
                  Thanks guys for the replies - much appreciated.

cymruambyth: Daughter doesn't recall anything with Littlewoods etc., but her ex turned out to have been a devious so-and-so. So unknown debts in her name wouldn't surprise me at all.

SXGuy: I think so too - just needed some reassurance I think. Cheers!

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X