GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bailiff's fees - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bailiff's fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiff's fees

Hi!

I hope this is posted in the right forum. Technically it relates to council tax but now it is purely a DCA/Bailiff question.

When we moved out of our family home, we rented it out until we decided what to do with it, it is still rented out now (at a loss on a monthly basis)

Between tenants there was a bill for council tax for the period when the property was empty which was very low (less than £60) and genuinely unknown to me, the council took it to court. I found out after the court hearing and paid the council plus court costs. I rang the council and asked why a bill hadn't been sent, they were very unhelpful and said one was sent, but not to the house because "we don't send council tax bills to empty houses" so it was sent to the last address that they had for me, a business premises that I don't now live at and very rarely have anything to do with. I paid the council tax and court fees and said I wasn't prepared to pay the bailiffs ( who got involved apparently immediately after the court case). The council said they couldn't say for definite, but the collection agency "would probably drop it".

These fees were £75 but I didn't want to pay because I thought it was poorly handled and out of proportion. The collection agency didn't drop it. The letters kept coming and apparently yesterday they left a hand written letter at the business premises, even though I wasn't there and don't live there, claiming even more costs, about £300.

Can anybody please advise where I stand legally. I don't own any personal stuff there but technically I do have interest in the stock at the business premises. The debt was a very small one for council tax and not business rates, and the only "debt" left is collection agency costs (originally £75)

Thanks and best wishes

Re: Bailiff's fees

I am not of any help with bailiff fees or the collection of them, I will see if any one else can help

hold on x
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you. Obviously I realise this is not a huge problem compared to many poor souls (including myself in other financial matters) but I'm not happy at all with the way it's been handled.
      Cheers!
      x

Comment

Keep holding on you will not be forgotten someone will help xx
        if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Would you mind nipping over to Bailiff Help Forum --> http://www.bailiffhelpforum.co.uk/

And post there and say Niddy from AAD sent you - Jason and the guys there should be able to help you out.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks very much NID, I've done it, cheers! :-)

-> http://www.bailiffhelpforum.co.uk/vi...php?f=3&t=3053

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Man View Post
              Thanks very much NID, I've done it, cheers! :-)
              good luck
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Since the Chief Snollygoster Cameron went back on his word and pushed through part 3 of the infamous Courts, Tribunals and Enforcement Act 2007, the rules concerning these licensed crooks have changed.

For the "Compliance Stage", the gits are allowed to charge £75 just for sending a letter by Royal Mail; however, the council is supposed to have first sent a notification that they had obtained a Liability Order and that failure to pay or to make an arrangement to pay would result in further enforcement action. They are also supposed to send a form requiring details of one's income and employment details, which this council seems not to have done.

Which council is it and which bunch of bailiffs is involved?

Comment

Working...
                X