GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Statute Barred? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Statute Barred?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statute Barred?

Please may I have some advice, as I am being chased for a debt that I believe to be statute barred, but a Statutory Demand was issued in 2008 against this debt, although, I won the day in court, will that count as an acknowledgement and reset the the SB clock?

Re: Statute Barred?

Hi Dibs

This is out of my range, I simply don't know, so hang in there and we'll see someone come along who has a handle on this type of situation.
    be handy to know
    how old/when did you take it out
    what kind of debt
    when did you last actually pay it
    who took you to court with the SD
    how much are we talking

Comment

Hi and thank you for your reply.
      It's just under £1400 and Capquest is the DCA, it is an old credit card and the last payment was in 2004 to the OC, Capquest has never received a payment, although they have paid me!

Comment

On what grounds were the SD refused?

What did you put in your defence?

Comment

Best person to ask is Rizzle (site team) as he's our SB ace (IMO anyway)!

See this post from over at MSE --> MoneySavingExpert.com Forums - View Single Post - Statute barred debts and the Limitation Acts

Based on what Fermi says I'd presume you going to court didn't result in you actually signing anything actually acknowledging the debt, did you? Anyway I'd ask Rizzle; he'll know.

I'll ask him to pop in
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Limitation Act 1980

The debtor must either acknowledge the debt in writing or make a payment.

Hence my questions, did your defence in writing acknowledge existence of the debt?

The refusal of the SD could, IMO be relevant to this too. It depends why it was refused.

Comment

My defence was based on the cca being an application form with no prescribed terms, no default notice and penalty charges being on the account. It was good to receive a cheque from Capquest, although I had to ask the court to chase it!

Comment

See what Rizzle says based on what is known.

Comment

I have just looked at the affidavit and I have only referred to an alleged debt .

Comment

Originally posted by dibsthefrenchie View Post
                    I have just looked at the affidavit and I have only referred to an alleged debt .
                    Wise man

Me thinks you might be ok. Check with Rizzle. As I say he'll know or know a man with a dog so to speak
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I've messaged rizzle. He'll pick up by morning hopefully

Comment

Man? I will have you know that I'm a wise woman, allegedly, sometimes!

Comment

My apologies

* must remember women DO have brains

Comment

But seriously, that was a really good call not acknowledging it. I'm impressed.

Good luck. As I say you might be best checking for updates in morning when lazy bones gets up

Comment

Dodgy ground!:

Comment

Working...
                              X