GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Married couple driven to commit suicide by utter poverty - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Married couple driven to commit suicide by utter poverty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married couple driven to commit suicide by utter poverty

An army veteran and his wife committed suicide after becoming destitute and being left to ‘fall through the social services gap’.

Mark and Helen Mullins are thought to have killed themselves at their rundown home after being reduced to despair as they struggled to live off just £57.50 a week.

The couple, who suffered a series of health and benefits setbacks and had their 12-year-old daughter taken into care, were found lying side by side.

Friends said they were let down by social services.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/881136-m...#ixzz1dDrs1nM2

Very sad indeed a sign of the times when we cannot look after our own citizens in need of a helping hand. Why did the council not contact the RBL or other places of help if they could not help themselves.

Re: Married couple driven to commit suicide by utter poverty

that's really sad....

Comment

Tells you an awful lot about the society we live in.

regards
      Garlok

Comment

Garlok,

Sure does m8, buckle those belts though as it is about to get a lot worse.

Comment

I think you're right mate.

regards
          Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
            Tells you an awful lot about the society we live in.

regards
            Garlok
            Absolutely appalling, it is difficult to understand how this can happen in this day, we work very closely with social services so we know the pressure everyone is under, but this just should not happen.

Comment

its appauling..........the society we are living in - as well as much worse is too come.....its 2 classes of society far apart that makes the hard worse (but cares one and another and the other class just xxxxxxxx No word for them)
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

That is truly appalling I cannot understand why this is allowed to happen but I know that it does.

My thoughts go out to their friends and family, may they rest in peace.
                Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue. I currently spend too many days as the statue......but thanks to this site not as many as I used to!

sigpic

Comment

I read this yesterday and i can understand in this day and age something like this happening!! It is heartbreaking! Where is the help for those that really do need it??

so so so sad

Comment

absolutely shocking - really saddened to read this nonsense, that just makes me wanna hurt the even more.

Their wish is my command! God this had wound me up....
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

This is bloody terrible.

Comment

So so shouldn't happen!!!
                        "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

The thing that seems to make this story worse is that fact that the daughter was taken away - why did they not offer the couple assistance to look after her?

At the age of 12 (11 maybe at the time she was taken?) the daughter would have been able to do alot of things for herself - don't get me wrong, I know the parents should still be there to do things for their kids but that has really annoyed me. If they didn't have money to feed themselves, they couldn't have fed the kid but FFS, who was on hand to try to keep this family together?!

They were obviously struggling emotionally aswell as financially but clearly no-one gave a f**k and now, even though they ended their own lives, 2 families have lost their brother/sister/auntie/cousin/whoever and a 12 year old is an orphan because someone at the local social services office couldn't be bothered with another case to have to deal with - I wonder if 'under staffing' will get the blame again?

Having to walk 6 miles to a soup kitchen for a few (probably scabby) vegetables is a terrible sign of Britain has become.

I am completely disgusted by what I've just read.
                          Made by God...Improved by the Devil
                          Save £2 a day - £1610.00 so far

Comment

Hi Angelic,

Agree entirely with what you say. sadly if you look across all of the so-called "free democratic" developed nations that have embraced unbridled unregulated capitalism (and I am not a commie by any means) this appalling disparity in living standards occurs. If you need any further evidence of social services and their disgraceful lack of principle, morals and ethics, just think of Victoria Climbie, Baby P and so on. And in one case, having been sacked for negligence and incompetence one awful woman gets paid a lot of money and is demanding her job back.

Our society is certainly a very sad one.

regards
                            Garlok

Comment

Well I am everyone here understands the gravity of what's gone wrong here, I for one never thought I would see the day when Government would have blood on there hands but we are directly right here.

I have said it before and ill say it again there must be no profit in a service that is there to help the needy like Elderly Care, the NHS, Social Services every penny must go to helping these groups.

Comment

Working...
                              X