GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Letter from landlord - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letter from landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from landlord

Hello
    Not sure if this is the right place
    I rent my flat and today had a letter from my LL reminding me that smoking is against the terms of my lease. I know other people have had the same letter.
    I do not smoke but do let a couple of close friends smoke in the flat. I checked out my lease and it says I must take the rubbish out every day, hoover once a week and clean the windows once a month. Oh I also need to mow tne grass( in a first floor flat) . No where does it mention smoking. The agreement says it is a deed butmy copy is not signed.

Iam livid and want to tell the LL to F.O but is this a good idea. Where do I stand about letting people smoke in my flat that I decorated at my cost with my furniture.

Re: Letter from landlord

Originally posted by jj19 View Post
    Hello
    Not sure if this is the right place
    I rent my flat and today had a letter from my LL reminding me that smoking is against the terms of my lease. I know other people have had the same letter.
    I do not smoke but do let a couple of close friends smoke in the flat. I checked out my lease and it says I must take the rubbish out every day, hoover once a week and clean the windows once a month. Oh I also need to mow tne grass( in a first floor flat) . No where does it mention smoking. The agreement says it is a deed butmy copy is not signed.

Iam livid and want to tell the LL to F.O but is this a good idea. Where do I stand about letting people smoke in my flat that I decorated at my cost with my furniture.
    Personally I would be telling my friends to F.O. if they think its ok to smoke in a flat where the owner doesn't smoke and has decorated at their own cost with their own furniture. Tell them to go stand in the rain or stain their own furniture with their nicotine habit.

Regards mowing the grass in a first floor flat - perhaps this is another smoking reference

But on a serious note - its a generic letter thats going to all residents - why react to it?

Only thing you need to be mindful of is that if there is nicotine staining, and there is a no smoking clause in your contract, then do you want to be potentially liable for costs of redecorating.........
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

^^ what S&V said.

When we came to look at this house it REEKED of smoke... 5 years on and if we go out and leave the back bedroom door shut, by the time we come back the room stinks of ashtrays again... It's in the carpet and is vile! that's AFTER having them cleaned a few times...

I think the main question here is... why are you 'livid'?

The LL has probably been round and could smell the stench of smoking from the hallway so rather than accuse any one tenant decided to send a round robin. Or perhaps he challenged another tenant who then said "But the others smoke in their flats too!" .. who knows.. I'd rather ask my friends to smoke outside (which i do) and then be 100% sure the next letter wasn't for me.

Save being livid for something that warrants it

Comment

^^^^ Here's my answer to your question. Being killed by an enemy is not avoidable. Being killed by a friend who smokes is. Tell them to stop it right now.

Comment

I rent my flat . . . . I checked out my lease . . . . . The agreement says it is a deed but my copy is not signed.

Iam livid and want to tell the LL to F.O but is this a good idea..
          It's never a good idea to tell a Landlord to f*ck off because they will immediately tell you the same and they hold all the cards. Is this a tenancy agreement or a lease? If it's an AST where the initial fixed period has expired then your Landlord can serve you with a section 21 Notice to have you removed after eight weeks' have expired. Section 21 is a "no fault" ground meaning they don't have to give the court any reason.

If you are kicked out because you told your Landlord to "F*ck Off" then you may find the local authority deem you to be intentionally homeless so you won't necessarily get re-housed. Finding yourself living in a cardboard box because you got peeved by a letter would be silly.

The main reason why No Smoking rules are written into tenancy agreements is to prevent a fire risk. Goodness knows how many house-fires (and therefore deaths) are caused by cigarette ends. Even if it's not specifically written into your AST you wouldn't want any death caused by a friend's ciggie to be on your conscience.

Comment

First off
            Please do not tell me what I can say to my friends. If I am ok for them to have the occasional cig that is up to me.
            When I moved into the flat I smoked myself and the LL knew it. The verbal condition was that when I left if the smoke had caused smells or staining then I would be liable. All fair enough to me.

There iss NO reference to smoking in my agreement. PlanB sorry yes it was an AST and is now a rolling PST.

I know that telling anyoneto f off is not a good idea and it is not something I am likely to do unless you tell me I cant do what I want in my own home. I have spoken to the LL today and it appears that it was not aimed at me . I told him about my occasional smoker and he is ok with that.
            Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I don't think anyone told you to say anything. They were answering based on what they would do.
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Sorry if I misunderstood.
                As an ex smoker who has not joined the born again brigade I get a little defensive.
                I agree with the smoking ban in public places
                I agree it is bad for your health but so is living

As fir the grass comment above, very funny but never been one of my vices

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  I don't think anyone told you to say anything.
                  It looks like Plan B did but it was said in good faith. I didn't want to OP to die from passive smoking so it was a well-intentioned remark

Originally posted by planB View Post
                  Here's my answer to your question. Being killed by an enemy is not avoidable. Being killed by a friend who smokes is. Tell them to stop it right now.

On reflection I was acting a bit bossy but I did check their profile page before I posted and could see that I am old enough to be their mother (perhaps even their grandmother) so I felt it was ok to preach. That advertisement I posted (about children dying from passive smoking) was emotive and that's what triggered my unusual assertiveness. Anyway it's water off a duck's back because the OP has decided to ignore my advice.

Comment

When I moved into the flat I smoked myself and the LL knew it. The verbal condition was that when I left if the smoke had caused smells or staining then I would be liable.
                    So.. why were you livid?

Anyway, glad it's all sorted and glad you didn't tell him to go forth... I am also an ex smoker and while I don't 'preach' I do find the smell utterly foul... smokers breath to me smells like they have been chewing on cat poopies... *shrug*

And I am married to a smoker! lol oh the joy he has hearing me constantly... and I mean CONSTANTLY remarking "Pewwww you stink!"

lol

oh well.

Comment

I dislike blanket letters that make vague accusations . That and it was untrue, it is not a term in my agreement but mowing the grass is. I know it will be a standard AST.
                      Not sure if the lack of signature means anything

PlanB if you are old enough to be my granny then I forgive you, I didn't think people that old could use computers !

Comment

I didn't think people that old could use computers !
                        I get my butler to do it for me

Comment

First off - Please do not tell me what I can say to my friends. If I am ok for them to have the occasional cig that is up to me.
                          You asked - "Where do I stand about letting people smoke in my flat that I decorated at my cost with my furniture"

Of course its up to you if you want to allow your friends to have a cigarette but in the same post you also state that it was causing you problems with your landlord.

You got my view on that, and I'm not going to apologize for the fact you didn't like it. Personally I wouldn't have the ill manners to expect any of my friends who do not smoke (whether they used to or not), to allow me to do so in their own house, whether they be fine with it or not, ESPECIALLY if there is the potential for causing grief with a landlord which is what your original post suggested.

Its great that you're happy enough to let your friends smoke in your house when you do not but are those same friends also going to cough up (excuse the pun), the money to repaint the house and have professional cleaning done, or refund you your deposit should the landlord keep hold of it to put right the odour issues that Patchouli described.

If the answers yes then let them puff away, if the answers no then you know where you stand............
                          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

SnV
                            I think ou will find I said I was angry because the note through my door was the first comment in many years about smoking in my flat. There is not one word in my agreement about smoking but there are other non sensical parts such as mowing the grass.
                            As far as I was concerned there was no issue about smoking in the flat , in fact the first flat I looked at with this landlord had a smoker in it.
                            The other issue is that I do not take kindly to blanket communications. If you have something to say to me say it .

Plan B can I borrow your Butler. My silver needs polishing

Comment

If you have something to say to me say it .
                              I think you'll find he did.....
                              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X