GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Shafted by timewasting housebuyer - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shafted by timewasting housebuyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shafted by timewasting housebuyer

I wasn't really sure which section to put this in, so mods please move to a more appropriate subforum if this is the wrong one.

There is a fair amount of equity tied up in my house and my strategy for quite some time has been to sell the house, pay off the mortgage with the proceeds and buy somewhere outright with the remainder.

I was very close to achieving this but have been stabbed in the back by a very demanding buyer who pulled out after more than a month of stringing me along. I thought progress was finally being made when she phoned last Thursday to arrange for her surveyor to visit the house, which would have been today. Then on Monday she suddenly decided she was pulling out for what seem rather spurious reasons.

She had a first-time buyer (with a mortgage agreed in principle) buying hers, so she would have been a cash buyer on mine and wanted reassuring that I would be prepared to move out if I hadn't found somewhere myself when she was ready to proceed. After a lot of intensive house-hunting in a city 35 miles away, I had actually managed to find a really good house to move to and got my offer accepted on it. With the seemingly good news that she was sending a surveyor to mine, I instructed a surveyor to look at the house I had made an offer on.

The reason she gave for pulling out was that the area I live in had flooded in the past (although it has subsequently had millions spent on new flood defences that bring it to better than a 1-in-200 standard, well above the 1-in-75 required by insurers). Indeed, I recently changed insurance to Direct Line, who are VERY picky about this sort of thing, and they have happily insured it for an astoundingly low premium. Furthermore, she lives in York, which has a much worse flooding problem (with several high risk areas unprotected), so it beggars belief that such a person would not have been aware of such issues and checked them out before even making an offer, let alone more than a month down the line! So everyone who knows what has been going on agrees that it's rather more likely that this person has simply found something she likes better and is using the flood issue as an excuse.

Now I am well and truly shafted. I've actually been on income-based JSA for a while because work with my skillset is really hard to come by in such a remote area (another reason why I was relocating). Worse still, the help with my mortgage interest ends in January, so I was trying to stay ahead of the game by getting shut of the mortgage. I'm still having to top up the rest of the mortgage payments from my savings, which are now depleted. It's therefore going to be very hard to twiddle my thumbs waiting for a new buyer to be found - and if I drop the price in order to speed things up, that further limits my choice of buying options.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm even considering going to one of those "we buy houses for cash" firms but I've read a few horror stories about them making an attractive offer to reel you in, then dropping it down to 60% of value just before contracts are ready.

Anyone have any advice on how to get out of this mess?

Re: Shafted by timewasting housebuyer

Harass your estate agents for them to market it further and for them to ask for a definitive reason from the buyer that has just shafted you.

You may be able to speak with the buyer to ease any worries that they may have had. But at least ask them to confirm what reasoning was to pulling out at this stage.
    Asking for honesty could get you some suggestions on what you may have done to put them off.

hope that helps
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Well, she lives in the area too, Niddy, and could reasonably be expected to know about the issues and to investigate them early on. My house is on higher ground and is protected by enhanced flood barriers and houses are bought and sold here quite happily.

And, like I said, insurers such as DIRECT LINE (who cherry pick the easiest cases and reject all the rest) are happy to insure my house for a very low premium (less than half what I would be paying in a good area of Leeds on very high ground and more than 1km from any watercourse). Note also that much of central London is also in a protected flood area (indeed Westminster would have flooded a dozen times already if the Thames Barrier hadn't been built).

So all in all, it seems a very spurious reason to pull out at this late stage.

Kilasuit, the agents have tried to contact the buyer several times and had no response. The solicitor is also trying to contact her counterpart to find out what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
        Well, she lives in the area too, Niddy, and could reasonably be expected to know about the issues and to investigate them early on.
        This whole section (where we live) is notorious for floods - does it ever happen though?

Where I am used to be a field, with a pond! However I've never seen that pond since we moved in, floods or not, we're unaffected so I totally agree with you mate. I just remembered where you live so understand what you mean now.....

Silly bint, see in Scotland isn't there laws to stop this happening? You could consider offering a cash incentive, ie £5k cash on completion (via solicitor) for a fast sale...?

That does help people who have to get a mortgage as it's £5k in their hands at completion, we did this with our last house - sold within a month
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          This whole section (where we live) is notorious for floods - does it ever happen though?

Where I am used to be a field, with a pond! However I've never seen that pond since we moved in, floods or not, we're unaffected so I totally agree with you mate. I just remembered where you live so understand what you mean now.....

Silly bint, see in Scotland isn't there laws to stop this happening? You could consider offering a cash incentive, ie £5k cash on completion (via solicitor) for a fast sale...?

That does help people who have to get a mortgage as it's £5k in their hands at completion, we did this with our last house - sold within a month
          Yes this idea is usually a good incentive for a sale.

Though could you think of something else that would be just as good an incentive but not a cash offer.
          I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

Yeah, if only we had the Scottish laws on conveyancing, Niddy.

As you can imagine, I'm FUMING about this after I bent over backwards to accommodate her needs and then she takes the piss like this.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
              Yes this idea is usually a good incentive for a sale.

Though could you think of something else that would be just as good an incentive but not a cash offer.
              I'm racking my brains to think of something, as I really don't have much leeway on the cash front as explained in the OP.

I'm also going to be very wary of keeping the house off the market on accepting an offer in case I get another clown like this. Repo companies keep the houses on the market until exchange of contracts, so why shouldn't I?
              Last edited by evilcartman; 27 June 2012, 11:13.

Comment

take it carpets, curtains, fixtures and fittings are already included?

I saw 1 house that had everything inc boiler ripped between contracts being exchanged

Comment

take it carpets, curtains, fixtures and fittings are already included?

I saw 1 house that had everything inc boiler ripped between contracts being exchanged
                  Ha, I've seen some of the houses put on the market by the repo companies and they have literally ripped out the kitchen sink.

And not just that but the entire bathroom suite too, not even a toilet left in the house.

Comment

I'm planning on trying a different tactic. The property was valued at around £130,000 (by three local estate agents and a surveyor) and I put it on the market at £124,950 to keep it below the stamp duty threshold.

As an incentive to invite offers of in the region of £130,000, it's going to be marketed as STAMP DUTY PAID. This is a definite incentive for first time buyers, as the mortgage doesn't pay for that and they're generally pretty strapped for cash by the time it comes to paying for things like that. I've seen the stamp duty paid ploy work for others, so I'm going to give that a shot. If I do get any takers, it sure as hell beats knocking 5k off the price, only to have offers 5-10k below that.
                    Last edited by evilcartman; 27 June 2012, 15:50.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcartman View Post
                      I'm planning on trying a different tactic. The property was valued at around £130,000 (by three local estate agents and a surveyor) and I put it on the market at £124,950 to keep it below the stamp duty threshold.

As an incentive to invite offers of in the region of £130,000, it's going to be marketed as STAMP DUTY PAID. This is a definite incentive for first time buyers, as the mortgage doesn't pay for that and they're generally pretty strapped for cash by the time it comes to paying for things like that. I've seen the stamp duty paid ploy work for others, so I'm going to give that a shot. If I do get any takers, it sure as hell beats knocking 5k off the price, only to have offers 5-10k below that.
                      That sounds like a promising idea,
                      Hopefully you'll have a flood of offers (sorry couldnt help it)

Comment

That sounds like a promising idea,
                        Hopefully you'll have a flood of offers (sorry couldnt help it)
                        *groan*

Comment

Well, it transpires that my solicitors have had a letter from the other party's solicitors (quite a well-known firm incidentally) confirming that the buyer had pulled out "following continuing assessments of a high flood risk in the area".

I'm awaiting a copy of the actual letter being forwarded to me.

The statement in bold is absolute poppycock! The Environment Agency (EA) has put this area in the "low risk" category of 0.5% risk (1-in-200) ever since the £15m new flood defences were completed back in 2007.

I'm not taking this lying down, as I want to know who exactly has been making these "continuing assessments". I have emailed the EA to find out exactly what info they have for my specific address and I will contact these solicitors when I have a copy of their letter.

Someone, somewhere is giving out false information and I want them to be held accountable for it!

Comment

Working...
                          X