GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Fivers from cash machines - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fivers from cash machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fivers from cash machines

Hi all,

I find budgeting easier if I take out in cash at the beginning of the week what I need for the various categories (food, and activities being my main ones). For so many things though I budget in multiples of £5. So I'm really pleased that Yorkshire Bank and Santander (maybe others, these are the two I've stumbled across) are offering £5 notes in their cash machines.

Not sure if anyone else will be as happy about it as me (probably not, no-one else is that sad!) but I thought I'd pass it on.

Re: Fivers from cash machines

Ames,

The dispensing of £5 notes in atm's is a good move and one I'd like more banks to do.

There has been many an occasion when all I have wanted is a fiver but have had to draw £10 being the minimum.

I also think the banning of cheques is another bad idea and is nice to see many politicians against it also.

I hope that the cheque guarantee card is reinstated as many depend on it particularly the older generation who are limited as to mobility.

Regards

Comment

i say re-instate £1 notes (i may only be 21, but in Scotland £1 notes werent rare during my childhood)
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
        i say re-instate £1 notes (i may only be 21, but in Scotland £1 notes werent rare during my childhood)
        Good point! £1 coins weigh a ton in my purse.
        For some reason most shop assistants seem to expect a note in payment, and when you start counting it out in £ coins they roll their eyes and start inspecting their nails or texting their mates..

PS: I'll never buy a car from there again though....
        Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 5 September 2011, 06:40.

Comment

As a canadian but close to America 1.00 notes SUCK arse they really do. they are a pain and I could give you 100 reasons why.

Anyway lol.

In Canada we also dispense fivers and always have it was strange coming here to find not only do they not do that but some machines don't dispense tenners!

Comment

Shepherdess, last time I emptied my piggy banks I couldn't be bothered going to the bank so ended up buying everything (that wasn't too expensive) with change. I was surprised that most shops welcomed it, but I think they have to pay to get change? They all smiled and helped me count out my 10 and 20ps.

Thinking about it, dispensing fivers will save businesses money - I often find myself paying for something that's two or three quid with my debit card, because I know if I take out a tenner I'll waste the rest. And I think they get charged for card transactions?

Comment

On several occassions I've had to search the house for any loose change to go to the shop, and as you say the staff seem to appreciate it. It's just an embarrasment thing for me turning up with a fivers worth of 1p's/2p's/5p's etc.

At the end of the day though it IS money

Comment

A lot of machines are now dispensing the good old fiver. I asked someone who worked at the Mint in Llantrisant and there seems to be a problem with the design or manufacture of the five pound coin we have been threatened with.

Lots of sinister stories, jen, about the symbolism contained in the design of the one dollar note. Didn't the Fed. withdraw a load prior to WWII because of it?

regards
                Garlok

Comment

I'm afraid I try to be like the queen - I don't carry cash (nor do I dress in posh frocks and tiarras!) as it gets wasted.

For anyone wanting a fiver from a cash machine during working hours, go to the Post Office, they have no minimum withdrawal.

Comment

I haven't come across an atm that dispenses fivers but I think it's a great idea.

I've also found that shops appreciate me paying in change(don't think they'd appreciate a load of 1ps and 2ps though!)as they have to pay to get bags of change from the banks. Plus, if you break into a note to pay for something, the rest tends to 'disappear'!
                    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

By the way just to clear up a point. Banks don't normally charge for providing businesses with change when you withdraw cash from the business account, BUT they do charge a fee of about 85pence per hundred pounds when you pay cash monies in to the account. Cost of counting it by counter clerk!

regards
                      Garlok

Comment

This reminds me of the Good old days where I could take a fiver out. Banks like bos & tsb used to do it. I'm talking 80's / 90's

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          This reminds me of the Good old days where I could take a fiver out. Banks like bos & tsb used to do it. I'm talking 80's / 90's

Yep I remeber in the early 80's all the cash machines used to give out £5 and £10 notes. Also you used to feel rich is you had £20 in £1 notes in your wallet

Comment

I was in Scotland so had loads of £1 notes. I used to get ten a week so I felt rich lol.

Funny when I moved to England in 90's - they'd stopped issuing £1 notes for a while but still took em. So I went clubbing one night, my round came to £7 and I gave 2 x £1 and went to get the fiver from Wallet but the tender had given me change for £10 as he thought I gave him two fivers.

I had a good scam selling £1 notes for £2.60 in the back of ritzs nightclub
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

RBS doing them as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X