GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script checking credit file - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

checking credit file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• checking credit file

I want to know when any defaults were recorded - is it a bad idea to check ?

Re: checking credit file

Some say don't do it, it is up to you, just remember it will only show the last 6 years , so if any have been placed before then and fallen off, they won't show
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Couple of things to consider:

1) If you're wondering when accounts are likely to become statute barred then defaults recorded with the CRA's should not be confused with receiving a Default Notice, as creditors are required to do under the consumer credit act. Very often the dates do not match, and in addition to that, some creditors are now challenging what should be considered the 'cause of action' from which the 6 years should be considered.

2) Do you want to know because you're considering getting credit, or a mortgage? If not then why care?

When you subscribe to the CRA's, then this can alert creditors and stir up activity, especially if you've changed address. You need to think carefully about what your need is for that information and if its worth sticking your head up above the parapet.

If you've no intention of getting something like a mortgage, or you're close to accounts being statute barred, then I'd suggest caution is the best option as you don't want to draw attention to yourself.
      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

At the moment we are finishing the house to put it up for sale so we can down size - then look for another house but will without doubt need another small mortgage . I didn't save any default letters prior to joining here as i was just paying the debts off through payplan and thought at that time i would be paying them until they finished - but then times got tough and i found this forum and went down the UE route .

I have been paying a ccj for 9 years but i am still paying it so that will be on the credit file won't it ?

So basically i wanted to know when and if defaults are being added - I was told debt collection agents can add more that one default which could on most of our debts and if they add them yearly then how the hell can we get a clear credit rating after our debts become SB ?
        Thanks for the replies

Comment

I have a ccj like yourself which I have been paying for about 8years and can confirm that mine is no longer on my credit file.

Comment

jaffacake- are you still paying the ccj ?

thanks

Comment

Yeah it's the only one I'm paying they haven't ever been in contact since I got the ccj apart from sending me details for direct debit or standing order a few weeks ago.

Comment

thanks jaffacake - i think mine will be gone then too .

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post

So basically i wanted to know when and if defaults are being added - I was told debt collection agents can add more that one default which could on most of our debts and if they add them yearly then how the hell can we get a clear credit rating after our debts become SB ?
                  Thanks for the replies
                  DCA's can issue defaults till they come out of their ears,
                  They CANNOT place a default on your credit file if it has alrady been defaulted and recorded with Credit Reference agencys, they may change the debt to their name if they purchess the account, they cannot put a new default date from when they bought it.
                  ie, default regestered with CRA in 2010 by original creditor, bought by swipe and swindle in 2014, owner of account changed on CRA file to Swipe & Swindle default stays as 2010, default drops off file 2016,
                  Last edited by nightwatch; 5 February 2017, 12:12. Reason: need new glasses

Comment

Nightwatch - I'm thinking if any defaults were put on my file must nearly be gone now then if not then they will be gone 2018 when me and hubby's debts become statute barred . I remember getting a few back in 2008 .
                    Thank you .

Comment

Working...
                    X