GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Banking E-mail Scams *Phishing* - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banking E-mail Scams *Phishing*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banking E-mail Scams *Phishing*

What to look out for with e-mail scams (Banking)

There is some E-mail going around from Natwest Bank & HSBC Lately to name a few

How to spot scam emails

* Scam emails will often ask you to verify or confirm your account or online banking details
    * Scam emails may convey a sense of urgency by threatening to discontinue your service
    * As fraudsters are unlikely to know your name, scam emails are often addressed with an impersonal greeting such as ‘Dear Valued Customer’
    * Scam emails may contain poor spelling or grammar, or other unusual language
    * Fraudsters can disguise website links in emails to make them appear genuine - don’t trust these

My ALL time favourite, is Always check the Browser at the bottom when you 'hover your mouse' over the link (They are getting clever with this, by when you hover over a link, it also acknowledges a connection) - Best bet is to DELETE the e-mail and forget it or call your Bank is the safest measure.

If you do receive a scam email:

* Do not follow any website links or click on any attachments
    * Forward it to phishing@BANKNAME - replace bankname with your banks address url, so for HSBC you'd use phishing@hsbc.co.uk (or visit their Security pages)
    * Delete all scam emails from your mailbox
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: phishing emails

Inserted is an abstract of what type of e-mail to look out for:

Natwest Bank: (recent e-mail 18th Oct, - and i don't even have an account with them, this was addressed to someone else). Notice the bottom Link: looks Genuine enough, but its a Jumper e-mail (website is genuine)
    [attachment=1:3850tht1]natwest.jpg[/attachment:3850tht1]

HSBC: (recent e-mail 18th Oct, - and i don't even have an account with them, this was addressed to someone else). Notice the bottom Link: www. philippinescyclenews.com/www.hsbc.com/index
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

For added security checking:

When you enter and submit password details, transaction over the Internet, Look out for:

* Padlock Symbol 'Locked' bottom right corner
      * That the address bar starting with https NOT http (The 's' at the end of the http is to acknowledge that its a Secure transaction/connection)

Comment

Excellent thread matey

All suspicious emails should be forwarded to phishing@BANKNAME - replace bankname with your banks address url, so for HSBC you'd use phishing@hsbc.co.uk
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Niddy

-------------------

Recent Update:

This is a Coded Version:

This shows the Code version of an e-mail Phishing

Highlightend is where you are really entering your Login details 'unfortunatley you are un aware of all this'.....its a small program that sits behind another site. As you are typing, you are also allowing them to see ALL details of what you are typing
          [attachment=0:1c8i3q5t]HSBC1.jpg[/attachment:1c8i3q5t]

Comment

Recent one from TESCO Banking
            This is what the TESCO Phising Scam looks like:
            Tesco Email type:
            [attachment=0:3uj9o9w7]Tesco Phishing Scam.jpg[/attachment:3uj9o9w7]
            Coded version of Tesco ([size=5]nice to provide there IP Address):
            [attachment=1:3uj9o9w7]Tesco Coded 1.jpg[/attachment:3uj9o9w7]

Comment

Tesco ordinary Banking scam

Tesco E-mail:
              [attachment=1:2x7jpuqg]Tesco 2.jpg[/attachment:2x7jpuqg]
              Tesco Coded Version: ([size=5]You'll notice that there provided IP Address is the same as the phishing scam)
              [attachment=0:2x7jpuqg]Tesco Coded 2.jpg[/attachment:2x7jpuqg]

Comment

Re: Banking E-mail Scams *Phishing*

re :
                Recent Update:

This is a Coded Version:

you are looking at the headers of the email here.

things to note in your example bdgang@live ....
                and the Virtual Server that its being sent from ..

any bank would NOT use a publicly hosted email address _or_ a public virtual server.

I can probably dig out official originating banking email senders if you wish (im sure i still have them all here somewhere)

Comment

Originally posted by stevieb
                  re :
                  Recent Update:
                  This is a Coded Version:

you are looking at the headers of the email here.
                  things to note in your example bdgang@live ....
                  and the Virtual Server that its being sent from ..

any bank would NOT use a publicly hosted email address _or_ a public virtual server.
                  I can probably dig out official originating banking email senders if you wish (im sure i still have them all here somewhere)
                  Cheers Steve for the extra input ([size=5]i was only showing basic info, than everything), was an idea to jog memories for everyone to be on the watch out ([size=5]as just last night my father got a called from a company, which folded over a year ago when i checked them out)

Comment

Great thread 5corpio.

I don't understand all the 'coded' stuff - far too techie for me.

I get loads of phishing emails from banks that I have no dealings with at all and I just delete them without opening.

Can I just add a warning about phishing emails purporting to come from ebay and Paypal?
                    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by pixiechick
                      Great thread 5corpio.
                      I don't understand all the 'coded' stuff - far too techie for me.

I get loads of phishing emails from banks that I have no dealings with at all and I just delete them without opening.
                      Can I just add a warning about phishing emails purporting to come from ebay and Paypal?
                      Thanks Pixie

No problems, if you want to show the layout so others get to know what to looks for....like the ones below that i've done for Natwest as such on here...
                      Originally posted by 5corpio
                      Inserted is an abstract of what type of e-mail to look out for:

Natwest Bank: (recent e-mail 18th Oct, - and i don't even have an account with them, this was addressed to someone else). Notice the bottom Link: looks Genuine enough, but its a Jumper e-mail (website is genuine)
                      [attachment=1:1aql30uo]natwest.jpg[/attachment:1aql30uo]

HSBC: (recent e-mail 18th Oct, - and i don't even have an account with them, this was addressed to someone else). Notice the bottom Link: www. philippinescyclenews.com/www.hsbc.com/index

Comment

I will 5corpio - when I get another one! I'm very good at keeping my inbox clean and emptying my deleted messages.
                        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

HSBC Update:

If you do online banking with HSBC, they are currently updating there online banking system, this is an ideal opportunity for fraudsters/criminals to send you e-mails pretending to be HSBC asking to click on link in an e-mail....BE AWARE, SPEAK TO YOUR BRANCH
                          [attachment=0:2z98d2wf]HSBC 2.jpg[/attachment:2z98d2wf]
                          I'll be composing a letter to HSBC shortly to tell them that they shouldn't advertise that they are updating there online banking with new features and such...as this is an opportunity for criminals and fraudsters to get on the act. and HOW save is HSBC online security?

Comment

Alliance & Leciester Bank:
                            [attachment=0:mmk59wb6]Alliance and Leicster.jpg[/attachment:mmk59wb6]

Comment

Bump....!
                              Quick Tips to SPOT FAKE E-mails from Banking.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	Publication1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1385822
                              1: E-mail Address - You'll notice that there is No name on Delivery address

2: Addresse - Normanally banking addresses you by: Dear "Joe Bloggs"

3:
                              We earnestly - Wow they trying to earn from you more than anything - Adv: If you say something earnestly, you say it very seriously, often because you believe that it is important or you are trying to persuade someone else to believe it

4: Upgrade - Why do you need to upgrade, as you DON'T have software on your computer, its nothing to do with you

5:
                              http link - If you 'Hover' your 'mouse' over the upgrade link, this will show you where you are actually being linked to - notice that there is NO RBS

Always in doubt - consult your BANK 'IN PERSON or VIA PHONE'

Comment

Working...
                              X