GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Ubuntu & printing - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu & printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu & printing

Seems like ubuntu has a few fans here.

Decided to try it. Got most files transfered etc. Can't get my printer to work though. Tried some guides etc.

Anyone know how to install a wireless epson sx235w ?

Have tried Ubuntu Forums - View Single Post - [ubuntu] Installing Epson Stylus Printer Wirelessly but failed.

I'm not convinced that

2. Go to http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/se...search/?OSC=LX
    and type "Stylus SX235" exactly as written into the search box. Don't include the 'w' at the end!

3. Downloading and install ALL four packages shown in the list

worked as only one install seemed to run.

Any help appreciated.

M1

Re: Ubuntu & printing

When you download the iscan driver, make sure you get the iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7 version.

The alternative with ltdl3 does not install on recent ubuntu, as the libltdl3 package it depends on no longer exists in ubuntu. There is just the newer libltdl7 version.

So....

(1) try downloading all the drivers to a folder.

(2) Make sure you don't have the libltdl3 version in that folder.

(3) Install dependencies with

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xsltproc libltdl7
    (4) cd in terminal to where you downloaded the packages and run
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    (5) If any errors then run

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    to see if they can be fixed.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Doing the above succeeds on this laptop running ubuntu Precise.

Output from terminal.

~/Downloads/epson$ sudo apt-get install xsltproc libltdl7
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      libltdl7 is already the newest version.
      The following NEW packages will be installed
      xsltproc
      0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
      Need to get 0 B/15.1 kB of archives.
      After this operation, 169 kB of additional disk space will be used.
      Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
      Selecting previously unselected package xsltproc.
      (Reading database ... 431198 files and directories currently installed.)
      Unpacking xsltproc (from .../xsltproc_1.1.26-8ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb) ...
      Processing triggers for man-db ...
      Setting up xsltproc (1.1.26-8ubuntu1.1) ...

~/Downloads/epson$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
      Selecting previously unselected package epson-inkjet-printer-201108w.
      (Reading database ... 431208 files and directories currently installed.)
      Unpacking epson-inkjet-printer-201108w (from epson-inkjet-printer-201108w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.
      Unpacking epson-inkjet-printer-escpr (from epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.2.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package iscan.
      Unpacking iscan (from iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package iscan-data.
      Unpacking iscan-data (from iscan-data_1.17.0-2_all.deb) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package iscan-network-nt.
      Unpacking iscan-network-nt (from iscan-network-nt_1.1.0-2_amd64.deb) ...
      Setting up epson-inkjet-printer-201108w (1.0.0-1lsb3.2) ...
      cups stop/waiting
      cups start/running, process 14213
      Setting up epson-inkjet-printer-escpr (1.2.0-1lsb3.2) ...
      cups stop/waiting
      cups start/running, process 14294
      Setting up iscan-data (1.17.0-2) ...
      Setting up iscan (2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7) ...
      Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
      Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
      Processing triggers for menu ...
      Processing triggers for man-db ...
      Setting up iscan-network-nt (1.1.0-2) ...
      Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
      ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

~/Downloads/epson$
      Obviously I can't test beyond that stage.....
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
        When you download the iscan driver, make sure you get the iscan_2.29.1-5~usb0.1.ltdl7 version.

The alternative with ltdl3 does not install on recent ubuntu, as the libltdl3 package it depends on no longer exists in ubuntu. There is just the newer libltdl7 version.

So....

(1) try downloading all the drivers to a folder.

(2) Make sure you don't have the libltdl3 version in that folder.

(3) Install dependencies with

Code:
        sudo apt-get install xsltproc libltdl7
        (4) cd in terminal to where you downloaded the packages and run
        Code:
        sudo dpkg -i *.deb
        (5) If any errors then run

Code:
        sudo apt-get -f install
        to see if they can be fixed.

Great help Rizzle, thanks.

1. Moved them all to a folder - untitled- on desktop

2. Searched folder and deleted all the libltdl3

3. Done.

4. "cd in terminal to where you downloaded the packages" Explain to a thicko please ?

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
          4. "cd in terminal to where you downloaded the packages" Explain to a thicko please ?

M1
          Open up the terminal.

UsingTheTerminal - Community Ubuntu Documentation

cd command = change directory

See: UsingTheTerminal - Community Ubuntu Documentation

So to get to your untitled folder you would type.

Code:
          cd Desktop/untitled
          Once the command prompt shows you are in that folder, you can then run the previous commands.

Comment

Excellent, thanks very much.

Just need to find a decent program for pdf viewing & printing and everything else i can take my time with. (one with a print button instead of ctrl p)

What a star.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
              What a star.
              He's good at this foreign PC mallarkey isn't he....? I was debating moving but having read the last two threads, I'm like

I daren't - even though I'm fine with hard coding and web design etc - this horrifies me
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Do what i've done.

Keep windows and test ubuntu before deciding. Pretty slow if you test from disk/usb or quick if you have the room on your hard disk to allow a choice at start up. As long as you can get online help is at hand.

I started yesterday and i'm already looking to devote the whole disk to ubuntu.

Should add that if running from portable medie no changes are save to hard disk.

M1
                Last edited by mystery1; 4 September 2012, 18:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                  He's good at this foreign PC mallarkey isn't he....? I was debating moving but having read the last two threads, I'm like

I daren't - even though I'm fine with hard coding and web design etc - this horrifies me
                  Or try it in a virtual machine (computers) 1st then.

Oracle VM VirtualBox

You can see how you get on with it in that without any danger to your PC setup.

Comment

Or try it in a virtual machine (computers) 1st then.

Oracle VM VirtualBox

You can see how you get on with it in that without any danger to your PC setup.
                    Ooooooh thanks.... I have 3 laptops so not short of them but didn't want to wipe one until I have time to actually do it all - but reading yours and Phils chatter the other day and the above i'm having serious doubts..... it's that old saying 'old dog n new tricks'.....
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Go collect your pension then noddy
                      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                        Go collect your pension then noddy
                        Whoops iPhone auto correct lol
                        I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          Ooooooh thanks.... I have 3 laptops so not short of them but didn't want to wipe one until I have time to actually do it all - but reading yours and Phils chatter the other day and the above i'm having serious doubts..... it's that old saying 'old dog n new tricks'.....
                          Indeed. For example, I have OSX running in virtualbox here as I fancied a go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4784_001.png
Views:	1
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	1390824

Comment

In the end though, like most things, there is a learning curve while you get used to doing things in a different way with different tools.

Day to day stuff is not really that difficult. It just looks a bit alien to a Windows user at first.

You adjust quicker than you think.

Comment

Indeed. For example, I have OSX running in virtualbox here as I fancied a go.

[ATTACH]5821[/ATTACH]
                              that looks pretty decent actually, as far as displays go......

Comment

Working...
                              X