GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Southern Water threat - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Southern Water threat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southern Water threat

Hi

had a letter from Southern water just recently, stating that if i do not allow them to fit a water meter within the next 2 months, they will charge me in excess of £800 for the next financial year! I'm a single person and live in a single person property.

have done a bit of research on this, and if i understand this right No. 10 have given certain water boards the right to blackmail those of us who are reluctant to have meters fitted with the threat that we will get charged the large (5bed) property rate no matter the size of the property the individual lives in.

Does anyone know if they make you sign a contract for the water meter? and do the water board actually need access to your property if they are going to fit the meter in the street?

im in the south east which is apparently a 'drought' area.

Thanks

Re: Southern Water threat

Hiya

What is your reluctance in letting them fit a meter? We actually saw our water bill fall as a result of putting in a meter and the impression I get is this is the case for most.

With regard to your questions - no we didn't sign a contract, and no they didn't need access to our property. Only inconvenience was the water being switched off while the meter was installed.

Now if your question was about electricity smart meters I could understand why you would not want one of those fitted!

Best
    SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by realfedup View Post
      had a letter from Southern water just recently, stating that if i do not allow them to fit a water meter within the next 2 months, they will charge me in excess of £800 for the next financial year! I'm a single person and live in a single person property.

. . . Does anyone know if they make you sign a contract for the water meter?
      According to DEFRA it is not compulsory to have a water meter http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/offici...ot-compulsory/

Since you're a single person living on your own you should only be charged the single occupier rate which is currently £180.85 for Southern Water even if you have ten bedrooms.

Sometimes it's not practical to install a meter anyway. I have a Grade 1 Listed property which prevents anyone from digging up the courtyard. If you're in a shared property (a house converted into flats) it's frequently not possible to install a meter unless all the flats agree to it.

Comment

Would agree with SnV about saving money with a water meter. I am a single person and currently pay £10 a month to Thames Water and am in credit! I do live in a flat with no garden to water and prefer my walk-in shower to baths (mainly for mobility reasons) But. I shower every day and do spend quite a long while in there. I also haver a dishwasher. which I know uses quite a bit of water.

I know some water companies offer special rates to low users - Thames Water does not, but I am convinced that it is cheaper than paying via rateable value (or whatever it is called nowadays!)
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

A friend of mine has a metre and saves money x
          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

I think most people save money with meters, Nanna - probably apart from those with large or young families.

Comment

Did Southern Water eventually relent or are you having to pay £800 per year for your water rates despite being a single person household?

Or, did you decide that installing a water meter may actually be a better option for you financially speaking?

Plan B x

Comment

Hi Plan B

This is nowhere near resolution yet - we are in positions of 'stand off's at the present time.

Thing is, I'm sure i read somewhere that the water board had to have permission from both flats in the property before they could install a water meters to either flat. it turns out that my neighbour had a water meter installed a couple of years ago following a leak to her basement. she is elderly and i can see why they would have pushed this on her at the time. Nothing was said to me about it by the water board.

point
                if there is already a water meter to the property anyway (albeit just the ground floor flat), what work if any would they need to do to mine to get me on a meter as well? or would it just be my signature in agreement that they need?

Comment

So are you now thinking about getting a water meter? As you're in the south east with high rateable values I think it would make sense. Why not write to Southern Water and ask them what they'd need?
                  Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

i read somewhere that the water board had to have permission from both flats in the property before they could install a water meters to either flat. it turns out that my neighbour had a water meter installed a couple of years ago

. . . . if there is already a water meter to the property anyway (albeit just the ground floor flat), what work if any would they need to do to mine to get me on a meter as well? or would it just be my signature in agreement that they need?
                    I don't think they need to have permission from any other flats in the building when installing a water meter unless the property only has one stopcock for the whole house.

Do you own your flat or rent it? You will need the Landlord's permission to install a meter if you are a Tenant since it's an irreversible decision.

You can apply online to have a meter installed on Southern Water's website where you provide all the information they need to assess the suitability here > https://www.southernwater.co.uk/apply-for-meter

There's a good FAQ section too.

Plan B x

Comment

Working...
                    X