GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script DWP, HB and Students - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DWP, HB and Students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DWP, HB and Students

This is a two part thread to be honest and I will link both parts when I have done them.

Anyway , I have just started a degree and went into the council last week to hand in my Uni registration documents and also tell them about telling the DWP I was starting Uni. ( See other thread)

I received a letter saying all my benefits have been suspended until I can tell them either when my ESA stops or if it is continuing, I have until 30th Oct to tell them or they will cancel my claim and i would need to start another. Then today I got a new CT demand for normal CT payments , about £360

I know this lot of old they are really stupid but my understanding is that as a full time student living alone I am exempt CT . They have acknowledged that I am a student in the letter. I have provided my registration documents

Even after just a week I am finding the course enjoyable but a little stressful ( I don't deal well with that) and this extra crap is just getting to me

Any sage words of advice please

The other thread http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...590#post437590
    Last edited by Pat; 5 October 2014, 13:37.

DWP, student and HB

I have just started as a full time student. Up until then I was on ESA (WRAG) and DLA lower rate mobility.
    I am getting a loan of £5555 p.a and a special support grant

I am told that because I am on DLA I can continue claiming ESA although I think that my income will be just over the limit

Is it possible to be awarded ESA yet not get any money i.e have an underlying entitlement .

As for HB I am also told that if I qualify for ESA I will get HB, the other option is to send in sick notes (to the council I think) because I have been sick for 26 weeks prior and I will still get HB.

The council , bunch of XXXXXXX that they are have suspended my HB until I provide the info from the ESA

I am looking for advice, reassurance, etc. It's hard enough coping with 18 hrs of class a week without extra hassle

This is another linked post http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...T-as-a-student

Comment

Re: CT as a student

You are exempt from CT as a student, yes. My daughter paid nothing when she was at uni..... so the new CT demand that you've received may have crossed with them updating things on their systems. Worth an email to check that one out. That way you have a paper trail of what's been agreed.

For some reason, it seems to be the ESA that's confusing them. Get in touch with DWP and they should send out the paperwork you need for you to then send it off to CT.

I've merge both threads for ease of reference and changed the title..... please stick to this one. Thank you :-)
      Last edited by PriorityOne; 5 October 2014, 14:46.
      Remember the mantra:
      NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
      Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
      Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Re: DWP, HB and Students

Originally posted by Pat View Post
        I received a letter saying all my benefits have been suspended until I can tell them either when my ESA stops or if it is continuing, I have until 30th Oct to tell them or they will cancel my claim and i would need to start another. Then today I got a new CT demand for normal CT payments . . .

Even after just a week I am finding the course enjoyable but a little stressful ( I don't deal well with that) and this extra crap is just getting to me
        Don't let the crap get to you

As hard as it may seem this is not personal. I read somewhere that the vast majority of people turning to food banks to survive are there because of benefit delays and cock-ups.

Red tape is a bugger. First of all you get the letter which says your benefit is cancelled then all of a sudden in the next post you get a letter saying what is needed to re-instate it or substitute it for another benefit

Just give them what they want by whenever it is they want it.

It'll all come out in the wash Pat.

Comment

Update
          Well update
          CT first, I have had an exemption notice from the council with a bill for £1.68 as my final council tax bill. I have happily paid that but it must have cost them more to process the bill than they received .

Next I have received a letter giving me full HB even though I haven't supplied the requested docs to the council yet and the DWP haven't ruled on m change of circumstances, on top of that I have received my usual ESA today into the bank . I am waiting a call back to sort it out .

Anyway off to study the British Welfare state ..I kid you not

Comment

This would not effect your ESA as the training is or under 18 hrs a week and besides you are doing everything the Govt want work, study or training

Comment

Anyway off to study the British Welfare state ..I kid you not
              Good Luck with that as far from making the bureaucracy easier that have added extra layers

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                This would not effect your ESA as the training is or under 18 hrs a week and besides you are doing everything the Govt want work, study or training
                I think it's kind of swings and roundabouts. If they ignore my student loan as income I will lose approx £60 of my HB but if they take my loan as income I will be just over the limit but will be able to claim in the summer so long as I still qualify for ESA
                I have 17 contact hrs a week but then also a lot of study as well . It is classified as a full time degree course
                Now the question is , was the 1601 poor law about control or for humanitarian reasons? Discuss ( That will be one essay down)

Comment

Now the question is , was the 1601 poor law about control or for humanitarian reasons? Discuss ( That will be one essay down)
                  It's all about social control of the masses.

Still is....
                  Remember the mantra:

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                    It's all about social control of the masses.

Still is....
                    I need 2000 words not 8, you're no good!

Comment

I need 2000 words not 8, you're no good!
                      Lol!.....
                      Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
                      X