GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Raising credit card limit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raising credit card limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising credit card limit

I have only one credit card with a limit of £500 and no hope of getting another one (don't want one anyway!) or raising my limit on this one due to a bad credit history.
    This is usually not a problem because since defaulting on other cards I have learned to live without credit for nearly 6 years now and I use this one just to buy stuff on the internet when I need it, paying it off every month. Now I have a problem. I have booked a hire car in Spain for July and this £400 will need to be paid by a credit card in my name when I arrive. No problem, but they will also require an insurance excess deposit of 999 euros! This 999 wont be taken from the card straight away, but it ''blocks'' the card in case they need to take it. First question: will this ''blocking'' take me over my credit limit and be refused when they try to do it and if so, would it work if I was to pay an extra 6 or 700 pounds extra on my card to bring up the credit limit. In other words, can you increase your credit limit by paying more than is needed on the card?

Regards

Seamus

Re: Raising credit card limit

I Have no idea on this, I do know that lots of people have managed car hire without a card at all,
    can I ask who you have booked the hire with as I don't remember it being this high when we hired one
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes the company is doyouspain.com and they are more of a broker and the actual company I'll be getting the car from is Budget.

S

Comment

contact Budget and get the correct information!
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

OK but are you saying that the broker could be lying about this? Seems unlikely as I've used them before and had to cover a large excess then.

S

Comment

brokers some times add more than they need to, so double check with the car hire company yourself

Comment

budget dont have anything on their website that says you need to cover the excess??
              there is an excess damage/theft protection charge of 1,000+ euro charge but nothing to say your card must cover it

Comment

Haven't had a reply back from Budget yet but have googled some forums where others have stated the same about an excess being needed and its usually put on a credit but not actually used unless there has been an accident. Its very clever (I hesitate to call it a ''scam'' because every other firm appears to do it), but you can take out an ''excess insurance'' which means there will be no excess to pay in the case of an accident or damage. Now if I take it out with Budget at their desk when I collect the car it will cost me 190 euro, this will then mean I don't need to cover that 999 excess, however, if I take it in advance with the broker it will cost 85 euro BUT I will still have to cover the 999 excess when I collect the car. If there is an accident, they will charge the excess to my card, but I claim it back from the broker's insurance. So my choice will be to pay the 190 euro excess waiver or as I asked earlier, if its possible pay whatever 999 euro is in sterling on to my card, then I can buy the cheaper broker's insurance. Why can't travelling be straightforward lol.

S

Comment

never tried to pay excess on a card, never had the money to do it

Comment

Neither have I so I just tried a little experiment. My card has zero balance today so I paid £10 into it and now it shows ''credit limit £510'', so it looks as if my question has been answered!

S

Comment

Are you sure they actually want to take the 999 euros from a card? i dont think they are. in which case, you dont need to increase your credit limit.

Excess is paid on the event of an accident, what most car hire companies do, is keep record of your credit card, in order to charge it, should you have an accident. As far as i am aware, it does not check the available balance of a credit card at all. But i could be wrong.

If im right, it wont matter whether you have an extra 999 euros on the card, since you hopefully wont have an accident. The wavier fee, is simply a fee you DO pay upfront, in order to cover the 999 euros in the event of an accident.

Comment

That's exactly what I need to find out, does it come off the card straight away or only in case of a claim. I'm going to email Budget tomorrow and see if they can give me a definite answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Seamus View Post
                          That's exactly what I need to find out, does it come off the card straight away or only in case of a claim. I'm going to email Budget tomorrow and see if they can give me a definite answer.
                          It's in the EU so similar (common) law applies.

They can't charge or shadow such a charge, upfront. No. That's wrong.

They usually shadow authorise the deposit and retain the card details to cancel the hold (authority) or to charge any damage to.
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X