GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script State pension plans 'unaffordable and irresponsible' - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State pension plans 'unaffordable and irresponsible'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State pension plans 'unaffordable and irresponsible'

State pension plans 'unaffordable and irresponsible'

This is a duplicate of the Blog Entry made on 8th January 2014 09:46.

Government plans to increase spending on state pensions have been criticised as "unaffordable and irresponsible" in a report by a free market think...

Click to Read More...

.I'm the allaboutFORUMS News Feed. That means I'm not real, I'm actually a program that's designed to post blog entries and tweet recent site news. Please don't try and message me, I can't respond! Thanks.

Re: State pension plans 'unaffordable and irresponsible'

I think the most sensible solution to this is what everyone in the country thinks - apart form a few civil servants that is. Retirement age should be set at 60 with a sensible rate of pension, this will free up hundreds of thousands of jobs for the younger generation to take on, in addition a lot of older people will start small businesses as a hobby and probably employ one or two people more, this government has got it all arse to front, forcing people to take a company pension that will be worth nothing anyway is a crazy kneejerk reaction to something that could easily be solved - to the sensible amongst us anyway. Millionaires making the poor poorer is a disgrace.

Comment

What this Government don't seem to realise is that when a lot of young people see that there's a bleak and pointless future for them in terms of jobs, many decide to settle down on Benefits and pop out children instead; resulting in a much higher welfare bill in the long term.

This is what happens when you get over-privileged toffs running the country..... they are clueless as to what's really happening on ground zero.
      Remember the mantra:
      NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
      Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
      Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
        This is what happens when you get over-privileged toffs running the country..... they are clueless as to what's really happening on ground zero.
        I think the over-privileged toffs know exactly what's happening on ground zero which is why they propose to prevent immigrants claiming benefits until they've been in the country (paying their own way) for a minimum of five years.

Comment

What is a sensible state pension though ? A 'Living Wage' is calculated at £9.08 per hour (£17,400 pa) for a single person outside London. The definition of 'living' is a "minimum acceptable standard of living". A State Pension is £5,700 pa..that equates to £3 per hour.

Obviously anyone relying purely on a State pension is going to qualify for welfare benefits..to survive.

Equally obvious is that people are going to need a private or 2nd pension that pays a minimum of around £12,000 pa.

The State pension is never going to be enough by itself, it is a supplementary pension to your main pension. You pay in 6% of your wages for 40 years and that's what you get. What I would rather see is the State pension taking around 15% of your pay so that everyone ends up with a decent state pension. We shouldn't need private pensions where fees and charges are deducted, if the state can manage a scheme like they have done then why can't it be a proper scheme ?

Instead of leaving retirees to depend on welfare until their deaths I'm sure it would be more economical to increase the contributions and pay a decent state pension.

I don't expect it to happen even though the new £140pw pension will help, and the 'triple lock' currently in place. Anyone who doesn't provide for their retirement are a major liability to themselves and the state..the solution is easy...pay more in, get more out..

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
            I think the most sensible solution to this is what everyone in the country thinks - apart form a few civil servants that is. Retirement age should be set at 60 with a sensible rate of pension, this will free up hundreds of thousands of jobs for the younger generation.
            I'd rather die than be told I should retire at 60. I'm 63 with plenty of working life left in me yet so the thought of handing over to the younger generation who have no life experience fills me with horror.

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
              I think the over-privileged toffs know exactly what's happening on ground zero which is why they propose to prevent immigrants claiming benefits until they've been in the country (paying their own way) for a minimum of five years.
              Or.... until they have children....
              Remember the mantra:

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Or.... until they have children....
                Quite the opposite. David Cameron's intention (despite being an over-privileged toff) is to withdraw Child Benefit to immigrants. This has upset a Polish minister big time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25628791

Comment

Quite the opposite. David Cameron's intention (despite being an over-privileged toff) is to withdraw Child Benefit to immigrants. This has upset a Polish minister big time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25628791
                  People, immigrant or otherwise, get access to Benefits in general when they have children. I suspect Cameron's blah blah is more to do with pulling the wool over the general public's eyes (again).
                  Remember the mantra:

Comment

I suspect Cameron's blah blah is more to do with pulling the wool over the general public's eyes (again).
                    Why be so cynical? Cameron has proved to be the most left-wing Tory prime minister in history after his forced marriage with the Liberal Democrats.

It's calling him a "privileged toff" which bothers me because that suggests that only the 'working class' can understand the 'underclass' which is not true. Having a private education doesn't mean you don't have compassion or common sense. I had a private education and anyone who has spoken to me would say I "talked posh" yet I have dedicated 40 years of my working life to helping people in need. In your world I would be considered a "privileged toff" which quite frankly is an insult. That's classism pure and simple.

Comment

Why be so cynical? Cameron has proved to be the most left-wing Tory prime minister in history after his forced marriage with the Liberal Democrats.

It's calling him a "privileged toff" which bothers me because that suggests that only the 'working class' can understand the 'underclass' which is not true. Having a private education doesn't mean you don't have compassion or common sense. I had a private education and anyone who has spoken to me would say I "talked posh" yet I have dedicated 40 years of my working life to helping people in need. In your world I would be considered a "privileged toff" which quite frankly is an insult. That's classism pure and simple.
                      Oh Good God woman....

I'm not biting Hun.... sorry....
                      Remember the mantra:

Comment

Let's be fair, Cameron is a toff who has had it all laid out on a plate from birth. The difference is we've all had to work very hard to get where we are today, he didn't - it was the old boys club yet again.

interesting to note that the top law firms (Clifford Chance etc) are changing their system of intake students to offer a blind cv, ie their school/uni/class (upper/middle etc) will be omitted from the selection process to allow more non toffs the same jobs that the toffs do get. That is great news I think.

--> http://www.independent.co.uk/student...s-9050227.html
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

There is such a thing as inverted snobbery you know I still think called someone a "toff" is just as insulting as calling someone a "pleb". Neither is acceptable.

My point wasn't to deny that David Cameron is from a privileged background (he clearly is in some people's eyes ) but the fact that coming from a privileged background does not preclude one from making sensible political decisions. The fact that he wants to deny immigrants the right to claim benefits for their children for the first five years after arrival in the UK is a radical policy and it gets my vote. And I expect it will get him a lot of Labour votes in next year's General Election.

Comment

Oh Good God woman....

I'm not biting Hun.... sorry....

Nothing better than a good healthy debate

Comment

Nothing better than a good healthy debate
                              I agree with you.... as long as you try not to make it personal please

In my opinion, this Government is either being very economical with the truth or goes around with blinkers on. Immigrants will claim for children (not Child Benefit) because this country won't see them go without.... so the easiest way for immigrants to play the system and get day-to-day Benefits for themselves is to reproduce; much the same as it is for British people.

The country will wake up to this eventually..... but nothing will get done about it and it will be too late anyway.

.... and he's still a toff (in my opinion)
                              Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
                              X