GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script UPDATE Natwest CEO on fixing the problem! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE Natwest CEO on fixing the problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE Natwest CEO on fixing the problem!

Bank customers faced further chaos today as NatWest extended its trading hours once again to cope with the fallout from a computer failure almost a week ago.

Yesterday around 1,200 branches opened for the first time on a Sunday as staff battled to deal with a backlog of payments following Tuesday's IT glitch.

The debacle rolled into a seventh day today after parent company RBS said it was still experiencing technical issues and admitted some online services were unavailable.

RBS CEO Stephen Hester said the bank had let customers down

The fiasco - also affecting RBS and Ulster Bank - continued to spark anger this morning with customers apparently unable to access internet banking.

During the past week, clients have seen payments to go awry, holiday and home purchases interrupted and wages have appeared to go missing.

NatWest has more than 7.5 million personal banking customers but it remains unclear how many have been affected.

More than 1,000 NatWest branches were opening their doors from 8am to 7pm on Monday as staff seek to resolve the problems.

Susan Allen, director of customer services at RBS Group, insisted that progress was being made and expressed cautious optimism that RBS and NatWest customer account balances would be largely "back to normal" at the start of the working week.

"The knock-on effects of this technical failure mean there will be bumps in the road," she said.

"We will do everything we can to minimise further disruption to our customers."

But clients continued to voice their frustration on the NatWest website this morning.

Chris Latimer, from Liverpool, wrote: "wow first time since the glitch, i cant access online banking. this is not good."

Another posting, by Jean from Brighton, asked: "why can I not log into online banking to check my balance?"

Others said they had "lost faith" in the bank and complained wages failed to arrive in their accounts.

Social media websites have also been awash with criticism from people who found themselves without access to cash over the weekend or unable to pay bills.

Stephen Hester, chief executive of NatWest owner RBS, has issued a public apology for the chaos and conceded the bank had let down its customers.

His attempt to reassure clients followed mounting fears that thousands of people could be hit with penalty charges if their regular payments - including mortgages - were affected.

"I am very sorry for the difficulties people are experiencing," he said.

"Our customers rely on us day in and day out to get things right, and on this occasion we have let them down. This should not have happened.

"Right now my top priority, and the priority of the entire RBS Group, is to fix these problems and put things right for our customers."

The computer software problem started on Tuesday night and reportedly arose following an attempt to install a software update on RBS's payment processing system, which was then corrupted.

The group has said this issue has now been fixed.

It has promised that any overdraft fees or charges on current accounts incurred by customers would be automatically waived and has said it would work directly with credit agencies to ensure no-one's credit score was affected.

It will also reimburse customers who had to pay to ring an 0845 helpline number for any cost incurred when doing so.

Natwest Customers Face Further Payment Chaos - And The Fiasco Has Affected RBS And Ulster Bank Too

Re: UPDATE Natwest CEO on fixing the problem!

According to one financial blogger NatWest has made (get this) £73 billion in interest on the funds in customers' accounts over the last five days due to their zero withdrawls/transfers

http://hat4uk.wordpress.com/

Conspiracy theory or what, but didn't NatWest get downgraded by Moody's on Tuesday due to lack of cash reserves

Comment

Exactly PlanB... How are you anyway? Not heard from you in a while and was a bit worried..x

This is the message put up on the Natwest Banking site that I can not log in to to see my balance, pay my carers and have had no access to my money since last week! There are over 211 comments on the Natwest site alone... There is a new comment every few seconds.

Message to Customers from Stephen Hester RBS Group Chief Executive
      The problems of the past few days have caused disruption and inconvenience for our customers as well as for many customers of other banks.

I am very sorry for the difficulties people are experiencing. Our customers rely on us day in and day out to get things right, and on this occasion we have let them down. This should not have happened.

Right now my top priority, and the priority of the entire RBS Group, is to fix these problems and put things right for our customers.

This is taking time, but I want to reassure people that we are working around the clock to resolve these problems as quickly as we are able.

I also want to be clear that where our customers are facing hardship or difficulty we can and will help them. Our staff have already helped thousands of customers to access cash and we will continue to provide this service on a 24 hour basis while we work to resolve the problems.

I also want to reassure customers that no one will be left permanently out of pocket as a result of this, and again, they should contact us directly about this.

We have doubled the usual number of staff in our call centres, and for the first time ever we will open 1,200 branches across the country on a Sunday from 9am to 12pm. We are also extending opening hours in over 1,000 branches on Monday 25th June from 8am to 7pm.

Once again I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Find out more on the technical issues

Comment

Originally posted by Flossy View Post

Exactly PlanB... How are you anyway? Not heard from you in a while and was a bit worried..x
        I'm on the mend now, and thank you for asking

I'll call you this afternoon for a natter about THAT sofa

Comment

I am so glad my main banking is not with RBS Group anymore. Personally, anyone who has experienced problems with them, the advice I have is simple.....switch to another bank

Comment

Problem is that some people don't bank with Natwest, but their employer does, so they still had issues getting paid.

Although I agree with the "Eggs + Basket" principle. Try to split up cash between different accounts to help in such a situation.

For instance I have a couple of pre-paid cards, that I keep with cash on them, just in case a different card isn't accepted.
            "Cheap is good, but FREE is better!"

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
              Conspiracy theory or what, but didn't NatWest get downgraded by Moody's on Tuesday due to lack of cash reserves
              Your not suggesting.... no - really, none of us would really be surprised.

Comment

Today I was able to use my online Banking to pay my carers and see if I had any money in my account...

On the main screen though it is still saying the same as yesterday. Then today I got an email saying:

"To make it easier for our customers experiencing difficulties accessing cash we have made the following arrangements. All our current account customers who have an RBS, NatWest or Mint credit card in good order can now:

* Withdraw up to an additional £100 over their limit on their credit card, with over-limit fees or charges automatically waived or refunded

* For Cash withdrawals on their card, cash advance fees as well as one month's worth of interest on the transaction will be waived or refunded
                For all current account customers we will:

Automatically waive or refund overdraft fees and charges on current accounts for customers who have been impacted
                We are making these commitments today and there is no requirement for any customer to take further action to benefit from these changes.

We appreciate this has caused an unacceptable level of inconvenience, and to help further we are again extending opening hours in over 900 NatWest branches from 8am until 7pm today.

For further support, please call us on either 0161 931 9959, 08457 77 77 66 or 0800 656 9639. Alternatively, for the latest information and answers to common questions please visit natwest.com

Yours sincerely,

Chris Popple
                Managing Director, Retail Banking"

If I could use my Mint card that I owe far to much on and is unfortunately EN I would!!!

Comment

Today I received a call from Natwest as I am still unable to use my online banking and its showing I have no money in my account! The woman today said that there is about 1 per cent of customers that are still having problems seeing there balances and receiving money into their accounts.. That would be me then!!!

I did ask her what caused the problem which she said that no one at the bank knows apart from it was a technical error!

Comment

Working...
                  X