GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Commical issue with house insurance/bank now asking for money back - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commical issue with house insurance/bank now asking for money back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commical issue with house insurance/bank now asking for money back

This is just something that you couldnt make up.

3 months ago I stuck my iphone in the wash doh.

Straight away called house insurance who agreed to pay out for it.

Week later £400 cheque turns up, take to bank but they refuse as the name on the cheque was wrong(muppets).

After about 6 broken promises and a further 5 weeks a cheque turns up at my mums house in a handwritten envelope but with the right name on the cheque, take this cheque to bank and they accept no problem.

2 days later a third cheque turns up this time at my address again with the correct details, I presume this is an error so leave alone.

A further 2 days and I check my bank, cheque 2 has bounced, ring up insurance and they say "yes cheque 2 was cancelled as it was considered lost hence why we sent a third cheque" so for a third rather annoyed time I go bank and pay in the third cheque. Finally 3 days later the cash has cleared in my account, happy days and after 2 months and a load of hassle ive got the cash. I paid it into my business account which is busy and probably gets £5k a month paid through it(unfortunately not much profit), I bought a new phone and got on with it.

All good and well till today when I get a polite letter off Lloyds informing me they had paid a cheque which their client had canceled, I rang to ring the bank and it seems that after cheque 3 had cleared they had then decided to clear cheque 2.

Now im surprised I hadnt noticed but this is as I say a busy account with lots going on and I tend to only notice things when my balance is lower than expected rather than the other way.

Now I am not disputing that I have received 2 cheques from the insurance but at the same time am not now in a position to pay the whole amount back just like that. Where do I stand legally here?, my personal view is that its the banks fault for cashing a canceled cheque, they even say they have already reimbursed the client and its as much the insurance companies fault for making a right mess of my claim.
    Im happy to pay it back but not at once, do they have legal grounds for persuing me or adding anything to it or would my payments be good will on my part at repaying what I can see as a gift.

Sorry its such a mess of a story.

Re: Commical issue with house insurance/bank now asking for money back

Just ask if you can repay at £100 per month or summat. If they want they can deduct the whole lot upto any overdraft limit anyway.

They didn't have to write out mate. I'd speak to them and try negotiate. But legally you have no grounds so try the nice sob story approach.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Might be worth an e-mail to the CEO of the insurance company explaining what has happened and asking for a goodwill payment for your problems.

Comment

I dont bank with Lloyds, sorry to confuse they were the Insurance companies bank. I have no active connection with them.
        I guess they are not gonna have to accept my £100 a month and I dont see what they can do other than set the poodles on me. At the end of the day Lloyds have screwed me over big time in the past.
        I have no issues repaying this I was just more concerned about them adding fees and stuff but now I think about it with a less hungover head, of course they cant add fees, at the end of the day its the banks error so i'm going to send £100 a month and inform them of what im doing. I'll likely clear it before that its just an expensive week ahead.
        Last edited by BigCraigJohn; 24 September 2011, 18:20.

Comment

Originally posted by BBoo View Post
          Might be worth an e-mail to the CEO of the insurance company explaining what has happened and asking for a goodwill payment for your problems.
          I did consider asking for some compo, at the end of the day and as im sure a lot of you will agree, Smartphones are priceless to business, I use the ebay app atleast 4 hours a day and ive got my sat nav, ipod(yeah I know thats hardly life n death) but ive listened to Michael Jackson Bad on cassette about 2 million times in the car and despite being a classic, it can certainly become stale when over played.

I'll see what happens anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X