GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Fuel Poverty - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Poverty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Poverty

We have run up a 'small' debt (large to us) of just over £800 with SWALEC for our gas and electricity usage. I am disabled and am usually confined to the house 24 hours a day. As our living room is dark, we tend to have to have lights on all the time.

We already pay £30 a week to them and really cannot afford any more. They have been very understanding, but have not yet been able to do anything to help. We've sent them a full I&E form, so they can see we are not spending wildly.

Does anyone have any suggestions, as every month that passes we're just sinking further and further into debt. We are on their cheapest tariff and pay by card each week.

Re: Fuel Poverty

Sadly if your usage exceeds your repayments there's not a lot you can do if you simply cannot afford more.

Even if you're only clearing a tenner a month towards the debt, that's a bit. It's still £120 per annum and remember as you're disabled they CANNOT cut you off so it's not costing you anything by only paying what you can, hence if it takes 5 years so what - better in your pocket than theirs isn't it?

Can I check how much arrears are you clearing each quarter? Obviously we can assume you're paying £360 per quarter based on £30pw which is a lot so presumably at least £100+ is paying arrears?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

They reckon we're clearing about £15 per month, so £45 per quarter(ish) towards arrears at this time of the year. In winter we're underpaying. I didn't know I could not be cut off if disabled, but could I be made bankrupt?

I'm pretty laid back about it, but at times it really gets to me and I worry what they're going to do. If they can't cut me off, are they going to try a different tack through DCA's or the courts?

We genuinely haven't got the money anyway, so a judge would only order a few quid a month, if that. That doesn't stop the worry though!
      Last edited by Fortman; 8 July 2013, 19:00.

Comment

I can't believe for a minute that any power company would be stupid enough to cut off a disabled person for arrears, think of the publicity!!

I think you need to go back to them and check what is causing the high bills, is it the type of heating or lack of insulation or something else?

Comment

See this --> Citizens Advice - Can my fuel supplier disconnect me?

Some groups of customers may have extra protection from being disconnected. This may apply to you if you:
          • are of pensionable age
          • have long-term ill-health
          • are disabled
          • have severe financial problems.

If you're in one of these groups of people, make sure the fuel company knows this when you get in touch with them.
          hence tell them you're disabled ASAP.

Regards the arrears, £15pm is more than enough. Leave it at that - no need to increase that.

You'll be fine.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MrsD View Post
            I think you need to go back to them and check what is causing the high bills, is it the type of heating or lack of insulation or something else?
            I agree - your bills are high regardless....

Might be worth getting a home insulation check - should get a grant for that too (would be free)...!

Comment

Is it possible your meter is not working? I had a faulty meter and they changed it, made a big difference although they never admitted it was faulty.

Having a light on shouldn't make that much difference...do you have low energy bulbs. They are cheap in the supermarkets or were when I stocked up

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks. All the above are possible. Our house is Housing Association, it's not ours so would we apply for the grants or would they have to do that?

£15 per month is great at this time of year, but in the winter we are underpaying and the bill just goes up. This has built up steadily over about 3-4 years. What bothers me is it is just going to keep going up. We're trying to get them this afternoon so I'll post up if they phone us back.

Comment

Working...
                X