GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Old Debts Repaid? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Debts Repaid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Debts Repaid?

Between June 2009 and September 2011 I paid a fixed weekly fee to pay off a defaulted loan with Egg. The payment was agreed by a judge when a court case was brought against me (it was settled out of court, in my favour). The payment was made to EGG as the claimant - a collection agency I see mentioned quite a bit here - failed to provide correct account details to make a standing order. The payments were made until August 2010 when a letter was received from the same collection agency claiming no money had been received. Payments were switched to them but after 3 they were refunded. So I switched back to paying direct to EGG to comply with the court settlement.
    In Sept 2011 – having told the agency several times (they sent the occasional letter) what was happening and hearing nothing – I received a letter saying pay the outstanding less 35% to close the debt. This I did, making the final payment of a little over £2500 in Sept 2011 (to Egg).
    I heard nothing until last week when I received another letter from the same collection agency asking for a settlement of the original amount. I wrote giving full details of regular payments and the final payment. They have asked for a ‘paid in full letter or statement showing a zero balance’ I have neither of these. I have also written to EGG at the Canada Square Operations address asking for details – either a refund or why the payments were not forwarded to the agency as I thought they were.
    I’ve heard nothing from EGG/Canada Square. What can I do? I assumed the money would be sent to the collection agency or that they would get the money from EGG themselves. If EGG refunded the payments made (something like £5,700) I could repay immediately. Can I raise a small claims action against EGG/Canada Square to get the money back, should I just ignore the demands or what other action should I take?

Re: Old Debts Repaid?

Personally I would be after a SAR from Egg and maybe one from the DCA.

See where your dosh ended up.

Was the debt assigned to DCA? or they just pestering on behalf of egg.

Think the resolution in this maybe in some stiff letters as opposed to court.

But that also maybe the cautious me wanting the info first.

Someone could be along shortly with the idea a rip snorting letter with some nastiness attached could well be what is required first.

I would await futher advice.

Comment

Hi Scribbler

Welcome to AAD

Are you saying that Egg took you to court and you applied for a time to pay order, it was granted and you've paid it off?

Do you have evidence that you've paid, ie bank statements, receipts etc?

Comment

MrsD - to be honest it was so long ago I've forgotten the specifics. I was taken to court by the collection agency. I contested (they hadn't provided account details for me to pay even though I had requested them) and I agreed to pay £30 a week - which I did. I don't have much paper work remaining (thinking it was all sorted) but I do have a full list of payments with dates. This I have sent to the collection agency several times. I can get the bank statements as its an online account.

Ken100464 - you are going to have to go easy on the abbreviations - SAR? DCA?

Comment

Originally posted by scribbler View Post

Ken100464 - you are going to have to go easy on the abbreviations - SAR? DCA?
          I can help with this, please see our abbreviations guide

--> User Guide - A-Z of Abbreviations - allaboutFORUMS
          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

which pile of eejits is this?

Comment

I'm going to check a few things for you but I would possibly edit this letter

Additional Harassment Letter - allaboutDEBT UK

to suit your particular circumstances

Comment

So is this repaid then or not?
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

it appears so, Scribbler has a record of the payments. so paid

Comment

Sorry ignore my post above. Thanks MrsD

Ok so you say you paid just over £2500 to settle this; I guess when you did it you did it in writing (by cheque)?

Do you have a copy of the letter received with the offer and the letter you posted the cheque off with? Please tell me you never paid over the phone....

Anyway, moving forward, can you clarify the date you SAR'd Egg and the date they responded to the original SAR (subject access request)..? If you've not done a SAR you need to. I'll do you a custom one in morning if necessary.

Don't send the above template yet. You need to get this sorted properly, not just fob off a dca as it may never resolve otherwise.

Cheers
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

The final payment was made by a direct transfer - but I did this to Egg (stupidly it would seem) rather than to the DCA. I don't have any paper work - apart from the list of payments made - as I thought it was all finished back in 2011. (kept it awhile but threw lots of stuff away when I moved).

A little confused by the need for a SAR. How would this help getting the money back from EGG so I can pay the DCA?

As I understand it EGG sold the defaulted loan to the DCA, so they shouldn't have any claim to the money I - mistakenly - paid them. Or am I totally wrong here?

PS - many, many thanks for the help; most appreciated.

Comment

Eh?

Who mentioned getting money back and who mentioned paying a DCA?

You need to SAR the OC (egg) to prove to the DCA that the account is settled.

Comment

As I understand it EGG sold the defaulted loan to the DCA, so they shouldn't have any claim to the money I - mistakenly - paid them. Or am I totally wrong here?
                          Well it depends, if Egg were the ones that agreed the offer then fine. If a DCA agreed the offer then you ought to have paid them, not Egg.

Can you clarify again for me, who asked you to pay £2500 to settle the debt and how did you agree to it, over the phone/email/letter??

Comment

It was from the DCA - pay the outstanding less 35%. I just paid it and sent them a letter saying I had done so. This is where I realise I made a mistake - I thought all payments were sent on to the DCA.

Comment

It was from the DCA - pay the outstanding less 35%. I just paid it and sent them a letter saying I had done so. This is where I realise I made a mistake - I thought all payments were sent on to the DCA.
                              shit.... what a fuck up

Ermmmm, gimme time to think about this

Comment

Working...
                              X