GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What do I do now? Care home fees for deceased relative - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I do now? Care home fees for deceased relative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I do now? Care home fees for deceased relative

Sadly my Aunt passed away recently. She had been in a care home for about a year and had been very poorly. As I am her only relative and I no longer live in the UK she had a solicitor who held POA to deal with her affairs. I was advised by them after she died that the POA dies with the person and they could no longer deal with her finances. They said I had to visit their office with proof of identity (passport) and they could arrange to 'administer' my Aunts accounts on my behalf. When I arrived I was told the solicitor I had dealt with was 'no longer' dealing with this and I was seen by another solicitor who said they had been given my Aunt's file 30 mins before I arrived. I was then given a completely different criteria and they could not deal with it without my birth certificate, marriage certificate, my mothers birth certificate & death certificate as my Aunt was my Mother's sister.
    My Aunt had no property and only had a current account (which was held at the solicitors office) and two savings accounts. There is not a lot of money in any but I need to sort this out somehow. Do I need a solicitor at all? Can I deal with this myself?
    Secondly I need to talk to the care home as apparently there was a problem in getting her funding sorted out (social services!)when she was first there and they were charging her compound interest. They sent me an email two days after she died which just said 'interest' and the amount of £5000 to pay. She was there for less than a year and interest was paid on the o/s amount but this in addition to that. I was going to ask for a copy of their T&C but who would have signed them?? The solicitor had disputed these charges and had not paid them.
    Any help would be gratefully received, regards RL

Re: What do I do now? Care home fees for deceased relative

I'm not sure you can deal with anything without a Grant of Probate form, to be honest. POA does die with the person, yes....

As your Aunt has now passed away and there's no assets though, then the debt would have died with her. I can't see how you would be liable for it and I certainly wouldn't be wasting money hiring a solicitor. You've already said that the solicitor disputed the charges anyway....
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Priority One knows a thing or two about care home fees. Read her useful thread and see if that helps

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ead.php?t=6049

Comment

Originally posted by Riberaclass View Post
        My Aunt had no property and only had a current account (which was held at the solicitors office) and two savings accounts. There is not a lot of money in any but I need to sort this out somehow. Do I need a solicitor at all? Can I deal with this myself?
        I've just read this again. I would be asking for copies of her bank statements from the solicitor so you can see who had been paid what, and more importantly what legal fees the firm has been helping itself to over time Those would have to be justified and you can get their bill assessed as to its reasonableness for the work carried out. If she was overcharged then that'll have to go back into her estate. If she was overcharged her care home fees then that will have to go back into the estate too. I read somewhere that you don't need probate if the estate is under a certain financial limit. I'll see if I can find that post/link

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post
          I've just read this again. I would be asking for copies of her bank statements from the solicitor so you can see who had been paid what, and more importantly what legal fees the firm has been helping itself to over time Those would have to be justified and you can get their bill assessed as to its reasonableness for the work carried out. If she was overcharged then that'll have to go back into her estate. If she was overcharged her care home fees then that will have to go back into the estate too. I read somewhere that you don't need probate if the estate is under a certain financial limit. I'll see if I can find that post/link
          It used to be under £5k planb

Comment

Yes, It's £5k

http://www.desktoplawyer.co.uk/dtl/i...e=A76991B77091

Comment

If she owed the care home 5k when she died, the debt died with her, without an estate to claim on, theres no way for them to recover the debt.

They can "ask" you to pay it, thats all they can do.

If she had been overcharged then any money relciamed would go in to her estate, which of course would then be used to repay any debts, so on balance, it could be better to leave it be.

Can the bank not give you access to her accounts with proof of Id and her death certificate? I dont think it was that hard for me when my father died.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I would be very careful here, I think the solicitors are boxing very clever, TBH.
                I think they know that the estate is too small to cover her debts, probably including their own fees. Until the point where they no longer work for your Aunt, but get you to appoint them to sort it out...then you are the client and any fees to them for work done on your behalf not covered by the estate will, I believe, be payable by you.

You are totally not liable for your Aunt's debts, that is clear, but could end up with your own bill for their services and nothing in your Aunt's estate to cover it.

I would provide them with proof of your identity sufficient to get the documents out of their hands, but I certainly wouldn't appoint them to act for you until you know the position and unless the estate will cover all your costs and leave you with compensation for your time and trouble too.
                If it is a small estate you can easily do it yourself without probate.

On the other hand what's to stop you simply walking away from this if you wished, go home and leave them to it if you stand to gain nothing or even lose money.
                Last edited by Undercover Elsa; 8 November 2012, 08:34.

Comment

Undercover Elsa makes a very good point and one i hadnt thought of!

If the solicitors appoint you as their client, they will no doubt stick their fees on to you, which you would then owe! as it stands now, the fees arnt yours to pay, because you are not their client.

Perhaps send them proof of id, with a cover letter expressing that the id is for the sole purpose of receiving the nessersary documents you require, but they are not to be used to be added to their client list.

They may charge a small fee for sending the documents to you, this would be standard practice for any type of agent/solicitor, i wouldnt argue that part of it.
                  Last edited by SXGuy; 8 November 2012, 09:10.

Comment

Also watch out for them intimating that they need to apply for Probate for you (at additional cost!). If it was needed you can download the application form and apply yourself directly with just the required fee.

Comment

Working...
                    X