GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Advice with Egg Card - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice with Egg Card

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice with Egg Card

Hi Guys.

My mother has been paying her Egg card for a number of years, repaid around 6k, all this time she was unsure whether the agreement was taken out by my father who died some years ago, and she was only ever a second card holder.

Anyway, the Egg Card has recently been bought by Barclaycard.

Today she gets an answerphone message, from Mercers asking to speak to my late father regarding the account.

I think this answerphone message confirms that it was indeed my father who took the agreement out, otherwise why would they not ask for my mother if she was the one who took out the credit card.

My query is, what to do next, i cant write a CCA request on behalf of my father as hes dead. I dont really want to put my mothers name to paper while they are chasing my late father.

Question is, while they maintain to chase my late father, should she just ignore it? or would it be possible for her to get back any money shes paid in?

Your thoughts please guys?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Advice with Egg Card

Hmm, interesting one this.
    Who was executor?

Comment

This is it, she doesnt have any old statements, it was an online credit card, since barclaycard bought it, shes been removed from being able to log in to the account.

The card was cancelled some years ago, the only way she checked her balance was by logging in online.

Shes even forgotten the credit card number so cant use that as a reference lol

Looks like the only option is to wait till she gets a letter now.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post

Anyway, the Egg Card has recently been bought by Barclaycard.

Shes no longer paying it as the standing order for Egg has been cancelled since they bought the debt, she hasnt set up another standing order.
        Hi

Her bank will still have the details of the old standing order to Egg.

Often the ref no would be the account or card number. I would try to ask them for this information. If she has online banking the details may still be listed in her s/o's although now inactive.

Got to be worth a try ??

Good luck.

MK
        One day at a time, with £34K of UE debt

LloydsTSB - For the (UE) journey NatWest/RBS Mint - (Un)Helpful banking
        Marbles - they lost 'em - and my CCA, what a shame

Comment

Niddy thanks for the info regarding where she stands legally, i will wait for a letter from them regarding the account. At which point i will do a CCA request under executor of the estate, and if it confirms my fathers name then i will demand my mother be repaid everything.
          I want your Mum to get back her £9k too

Comment

See my dad used to apply for credit cards online, and either he would apply in his name, on apply on her behalf, she wasnt sure what he did with this one.
            ^^^^ I've been wondering about your statement that your father sometimes applied online for credit cards on your Mum's behalf. Presumably he could do this knowing which boxes to tick and to save her the hassle. Is there a remote possibility that this is what happenend with this Egg card?

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
              ^^^^ I've been wondering about your statement that your father sometimes applied online for credit cards on your Mum's behalf. Presumably he could do this knowing which boxes to tick and to save her the hassle. Is there a remote possibility that this is what happenend with this Egg card?
              Oh yes, there is def a remote chance this happend with Egg.

He usually used to ask her, shall i put it in my name or yours? thats how they rolled lol

Joking aside, Niddy, thanks mate, ok i will post it here should anything happen next.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
              Last edited by SXGuy; 16 February 2012, 07:58.

Comment

Just thought id update this thread, have heard NOTHING about my mothers or maybe fathers egg account.

After that one phone call asking for my father, shes had no more calls from barclaycard regarding the egg account, nor any letters demanding payment.

Wonder if they realised they were chasing a ghost? who knows, but no news is good news as they say!

Comment

Update, turns out i got confused with my mothers other BC account, Egg account got sold to AIC, after i sent a letter querying the DN they served.

I think they have spotted something i suspected and sold it on to relieve their hands of it.

Allied have continued to ring every other day for 3 weeks but have not written at all, wonder why!

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    Seriously, trust me - just wait - see what happens and keep us informed...... don't rock the boat, not yet.
                    So he shouldn't even tell them his late father's new address?

Comment

Oh yes, there is def a remote chance this happend with Egg.

He usually used to ask her, shall i put it in my name or yours? thats how they rolled lol
                      Did he also wear her frocks?

Comment

LOL not that i know of.

Comment

Working...
                        X