GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How much to offer? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much to offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much to offer?

Sister has suggested that when we get our insurance money in the next few weeks we pay off mum's debts. One is to a solicitor, so I doubt we'll get a f&f there, but the other's £250 to Vanquis. Sister said she's going to try and talk them down, and that she'd start at about £200 - I said no, that's far too much, and not to start with more than £100. So, how much should we start with?

Also, there's a couple of other little bits and pieces, like a final electric bill, is it worth trying a f&f with them, given it's only about fifty quid to start with?

Sister's already got the Barclaycard debt written off - ok, it was only for 8p, but my experience of them meant I was expecting daily phonecalls and weekly letters demanding it

Re: How much to offer?

Originally posted by Ames View Post
    Sister has suggested that when we get our insurance money in the next few weeks we pay off mum's debts. One is to a solicitor, so I doubt we'll get a f&f there, but the other's £250 to Vanquis. Sister said she's going to try and talk them down, and that she'd start at about £200 - I said no, that's far too much, and not to start with more than £100. So, how much should we start with?
    12/6d?

Comment

Offer £100. Easy enough to sit there and say default/ccj her I suppose

But seriously, try £100. Worth a go considering.
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        12/6d?
        How old?
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Offer £100. Easy enough to sit there and say default/ccj her I suppose

But seriously, try £100. Worth a go considering.
          On the other hand, Ames's mum isn't likely to need credit again.

Comment

On the other hand, Ames's mum isn't likely to need credit again.
            Sounds awful: as I was implying, but yea - it's true. Basically be blunt with any offer and use the fact they can default and ccj her all they want as she's not here anymore.

If you send in a copy of death cert and say you're a distant relative; she had no assets and is now deceased, please stop corresponding, they may write it off. I'd try that first; it's too small a debt to chase trustees etc.

ie no offer at all.

Comment

Thanks, but sadly sister's already been in touch with them and said she's the daughter. I wrote to them, I think I asked them to write it off, and they counter offered by knocking about twenty quid off it.

Don't they have the right to demand it out of the estate, and come after me and sis if we settle the estate without paying them? Although as you say, for such a small amount they're not likely to push it.

Don't worry about being delicate about her not needing credit - I've got a sense of humour about all the paperwork and stuff. The latest being an offer of life insurance with guaranteed (low) premiums. I doubt they'd pay out on a policy taken out after death though, sadly.

Comment

I've got a sense of humour about all the paperwork and stuff. The latest being an offer of life insurance with guaranteed (low) premiums. I doubt they'd pay out on a policy taken out after death though, sadly.
                Besides, she might not pass the medical.

Comment

Besides, she might not pass the medical.
                  Nope, no medical required!

Comment

Nope, no medical required!
                    You might have a bit of difficulty obtaining a second death certificate a year or two hence, even if you'd kept her on ice.

Comment

Hi Ames,

Yes legally they can come after it and can bring the executors to book if you do not settle the estate properly. As Niddy says it is unlikely for the small amount concerned. They can (but probably won't) also make representation to the probate court as well. ACCESS as it was now MASTERCARD attempted to pursue my Dad's estate for £150 on a card he did not have in the first place. Just depends on which particular piece of low life is at the computer when it gets flagged up I suppose.

I would probably offer just a few quid to see them off as your sister has prematurely jumped in.

regards
                      Garlok

Thanks, but sadly sister's already been in touch with them and said she's the daughter. I wrote to them, I think I asked them to write it off, and they counter offered by knocking about twenty quid off it.

Don't they have the right to demand it out of the estate, and come after me and sis if we settle the estate without paying them? Although as you say, for such a small amount they're not likely to push it.

Don't worry about being delicate about her not needing credit - I've got a sense of humour about all the paperwork and stuff. The latest being an offer of life insurance with guaranteed (low) premiums. I doubt they'd pay out on a policy taken out after death though, sadly.

Comment

To be fair to sister, I can't really blame her for jumping in, since in this case she is doing it by the book, contacting creditors was high on the official 'list of things to do' we were given. And she doesn't know about full and finals and stuff, so she thought that being offered anything off was a good deal.

I'll tell her to start at £50 and not go above £100, that she needs to be strong with them and just hang up if they don't agree - and of course to get anything in writing.

Comment

To be fair to sister, I can't really blame her for jumping in, since in this case she is doing it by the book, contacting creditors was high on the official 'list of things to do' we were given. And she doesn't know about full and finals and stuff, so she thought that being offered anything off was a good deal.

I'll tell her to start at £50 and not go above £100, that she needs to be strong with them and just hang up if they don't agree - and of course to get anything in writing.
                          Or just take over this part of things and tell her you'll save money, if she does it then it's eating into her precious inheritance....

Vanquis do not subscribe to a lot of services, and they would not chase a £250 debt. Not through trustees etc - they'd write it off and would usually accept a low offer.

best of luck.

Comment

Oh she's more than happy to get a good f&f deal, I think she thinks that the low amount is too good to be true though. I think I need to give her a crash course in fighting the banks. If only there was a good website around I could point her to that I haven't slagged her off on...

Comment

If only there was a good website around I could point her to that I haven't slagged her off on...

Maybe letting her see how selfish and childish she has behaved is not such a bad thing?

I can, if you want, move this to a private section that would stop her seeing anyway? Just give the say so and it'll be done.

However, you can always tell her you know someone that may be able to help and tell her you're best dealing with this as you WILL save money.... its not for the feint hearted, they'll lie, they'll cheat and they'll wind her up with false promises....

Comment

Working...
                              X