GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Default - Santander Student Account - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default - Santander Student Account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default - Santander Student Account

Hi All,
    Hope I'm following correct procedures here as I'm new to the forum.

Basically whilst at university I had an account with Santander. A mixture of illness at the time and general 'being a student' meant that the account wasn't kept well in order, I was often maxed out with my overdraft, and Santander regularly allowed me go over my agreed overdraft, resulting in snowballing charges. My account was over £2k overdraft by the end, with the overdraft limit having only been something around £1250 if my memory serves me correctly, thus I gave up with that account and used a Halifax account, which I haves used to this day.

After returning home from university and illness stabilised as well as my general wellbeing, I sat down and listed all the times that Santander had penalised me for going, for example £1 over the arranged overdraft... and it was generally a large percentage of all penalties. After bringing to the ombudsman, they decided that this was within their rights as they had previously given me a Debt Management Booklet as well as a goodwill gesture of £25.

A few years later my Mother passed away and I had £1k which I agreed a settlement with Santander under the agreement there would be no long term issues on my credit file. This was accepted within 24 hours, however years later I have found whilst checking my Experian account for business reasons, that they assigned me a default. Having contacted Santander I then found out they had actually recorded the default at a later date, and that they had no records of the conversation in which this agreement had been made. Furthermore, I sent a written complaint to which they offered me a £35 goodwill gesture cheque enclosed (it wasn't enclosed - further cementing the santander inability to follow up promises).

Does anyone have any advice in regards to this? The rest of my credit file is completely clean.

Thanks!

J

Re: Default - Santander Student Account

Hi and welcome to AAD. Unfortunately I can't help but didn't want you to think that you were being ignored. Your post has been already flagged for help so someone will hopefully be able to help tomorrow.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Could you provide us with some dates if possible?

Do you know when you paid the £1000 settlement ..... did you make any part payments prior to this .... and can you remember or do you have the date of default.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It seems to be a case not unlike that of the recent case of Grace v Blackhorse.

Comment

Originally posted by jordanmccuaig View Post
          I had £1k which I agreed a settlement with Santander under the agreement there would be no long term issues on my credit file. This was accepted within 24 hours, however years later I have found whilst checking my Experian account for business reasons, that they assigned me a default.
          How many years later did you discover a default had been registered with the credit reference agency? That default and the whole file entry will be removed automatically six years after it was added. Give us the date of the default on your file.

Is this just annoying or is it likely to have a negative impact on your credit rating in the near future such as a mortgage or credit card application?

Comment

Working...
          X