GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mother's debt - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother's debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's debt

Ok so my mother is in debt to several credit card and catalogues, some thousands of pounds. She knew, due to a change of circumstances, that she would have to stop repaying and default on all of her agreements. She stayed with me very briefly and had the address changed with all her lenders. She was going to give them her new address when she moved but I told her not to. I can handle the debt collectors.

All of the usual letters are coming to my address. Default notices, threats of debt collectors visiting, even two letters with specific dates/times that they'll visit blah blah blah. Obviously I'm not going to rat out my own mother to them and honestly don't care that they think she is still living in my house.

For official purposes, I've no idea of her forwarding address (estranged mother fleeing the country, you know how it is ). Sent some letters back not known at this address but they continue. She did attempt to resolve issues with her lenders when her circumstances changed but they flatly refused to help so screw them.. the 5 year (Scotland) statue barred timer now begins.

Neither her nor I care in the slightest about debt collectors threats but what I am concerned about is if she receives a court summons, CCJ etc at my address.

Can official court papers be returned not known at this address? What are the consequences if the courts cannot locate my mother?

Obviously I know no one can pursue me for her debt but would I have any sort of legal obligations when it comes to official court stuff? I kept proof that she was removed from my council tax and thus no longer lives here to cover my own back so I'm not even concerned about the threat of bailiffs or whatnot.

Re: Mother's debt

If any court stuff comes I'd give them your mum and come post here and we can help with that!!

Loads of successes mate.

A mod will allow you access to legal section if you request in your userCP
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      If any court stuff comes I'd give them your mum and come post here and we can help with that!!

Loads of successes mate.

A mod will allow you access to legal section if you request in your userCP
      She doesn't care about CCJ's or her credit report for that matter so could something like that be safely ignored? I'm hoping I could just return any court stuff not known at this address and that'll be the end of it.

She has always had her assets put in to my name, car etc so technically has no assets. She'll happily file bankruptcy if it has to come to it.

Comment

ahh then it that case mate, do what you want! Obviously you'd not go discussing throwing away legal stuff so best sending back as unknown which technically is the truth.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Make sure your mother does not register on the electrol role where ever she lives now, because as soon as she does that, they will know where she is.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
          X