GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Assignment and the CCD - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assignment and the CCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assignment and the CCD

Just noticed this, and though it useful to refer to.

Specific to CCA regulated debts (old and new) if the assignment was from Feb 2011 onwards.

http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/biscore...e-guidance.pdf

16. ASSIGNMENT OF RIGHTS

16.1 Where any rights of a creditor under a consumer credit agreement (for example the right to be repaid the money) are sold or transferred to a third
    party, notice of that assignment must be given to the borrower as soon as reasonably possible, except in the circumstances described below. This
    requirement applies to all regulated consumer credit agreements other than agreements secured on land. This requirement is in new section 82A of the
    CCA 43.

16.2 It is the responsibility of the assignee (the creditor acquiring the rights) to ensure that notice is given. However, he does not have to give notice
    himself, but can agree with the assignor (the creditor assigning the rights) that the assignor will give notice instead, depending on what is more sensible in
    the circumstances. It is important, however, that notice is given as soon as reasonably possible and in a way that is clearly understandable by the
    borrower.

16.3 Notice does not have to be given where arrangements for servicing the credit are unchanged as far as the borrower is concerned. For example, if
    Creditor A sells his rights under a credit agreement to Creditor B but Creditor A still collects the borrower’s repayments in the same way and is the only
    point of contact for the borrower on matters regarding the agreement, notice does not have to be given.

16.4 Where notice has not been given, and arrangements for servicing the credit do subsequently change, the borrower must be informed of the
    assignment on or before the date that change happens. Again, this must be readily comprehensible to the borrower.

16.5 The definition of “creditor” in section 189 of the CCA applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights. This means that when an assignee
    purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply
    with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information). The assignee becomes the creditor under
    the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.
    Th new section 82A added to CCA 1974 by the CCD is here.

Consumer Credit Act 1974

82A Assignment of rights

(1) Where rights of a creditor under a regulated consumer credit agreement are assigned to a third party, the assignee must arrange for notice of the assignment to be given to the debtor—
    (a) as soon as reasonably possible, or
    (b) if, after the assignment, the arrangements for servicing the credit under the agreement do not change as far as the debtor is concerned, on or before the first occasion that they do.
    (2) This section does not apply to an agreement secured on land.
    Last edited by Riz; 12 September 2011, 10:31.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Assignment and the CCD

And before Niddy points it out, I am aware of this post.

The Consumer Credit EU Directive 2010 - allaboutFORUMS
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
      And before Niddy points it out, I am aware of this post.

The Consumer Credit EU Directive 2010 - allaboutFORUMS
      Yet you decided not to link to it

Its cool cos I think I did in that post anyway! Its not like we invented the document, wow if we did we'd have a field day eh?

Cheers - very useful info to highlight
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        Yet you decided not to link to it

Its cool cos I think I did in that post anyway! Its not like we invented the document, wow if we did we'd have a field day eh?

Cheers - very useful info to highlight
        Well I sorta did in a roundabout way.

I'll add a link to the s82A shortly.

I thought that might be useful, as there is always much argument about who exactly is responsible for sending NOAs. That document (and the new s82A) puts it quite clearly.

Also clearly states what CCA obligations pass to the assignee.
        Last edited by Riz; 12 September 2011, 10:32.

Comment

Working...
        X