GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Disabled people face unlimited unpaid work or cuts in benefit - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabled people face unlimited unpaid work or cuts in benefit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disabled people face unlimited unpaid work or cuts in benefit

Mental health groups and charities attack plans drawn up by Department for Work and Pensions

Some long-term sick and disabled people face being forced to work unpaid for an unlimited amount of time or have their benefits cut under plans being drawn up by the Department for Work and Pensions.
    Mental health professionals and charities have told the Guardian they fear that those who have been deemed fit to undertake limited amounts of work under a controversial assessment process could suffer further harm to their health if the plans go ahead.
    The new policy, outlined by DWP officials in meetings with disabilities groups, is due to be announced after legal changes contained in clause 54 of the welfare reform bill have made their way through parliament.
    The policy could mean that those on employment and support allowance, who have been placed in the work-related activity group (Wrag), could be compelled to do work experience for charities and public bodies, and in high-street retailers. The Wrag group includes those who have been diagnosed with terminal cancer but have more than six months to live; accident and stroke victims; and those with mental health issues.

More:

Disabled people face unlimited unpaid work or cuts in benefit | Society | The Guardian

This has gone a step to far now

Re: Disabled people face unlimited unpaid work or cuts in benefit

That is bad!!!

My sister, who have not long undergone some operations on her arms, has had to attend back to work meetings, not that she doesnt want to, but her one arm has no use anyway, so what could she do with one hand!!
    She is also due for more ops very shortly.

She worked for a number of years and loved it, but its actually her writing hand is more of the problem, she is also due to have a further op on her neck too.

Comment

Di,

My hand and wrist that has spasticity caused by the SAH Stroke is also my writing hand

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
        Di,

My hand and wrist that has spasticity caused by the SAH Stroke is also my writing hand
        Hi PF

It is absolutely disgusting what they are putting the disabled through!!!

They have certainly gone too far and how on earth do they expect you and others to cope??

Beats me, something not right!

Comment

The firms and organisations who make use of this scheme and the supermarkets, fast food organisations,major retailers etc who take this free (to them) forced labour should be named, shamed and boycotted, they are immoral and unprincipled. They will cut there wage bill and regular staff and profit by this scheme which, in a convoluted way, is actually funded by us! The 'volunteers' have no employment rights, and no say in the number of hours, type of task, or pattern of work, and if they complain, or object, the firm can tell the dwp that this person is not cooperating and....... presto, benefits stop. Sorry, rant over, but this makes my blood boil

Comment

TK Maxx joins retailers quitting unpaid work scheme for jobseekers

Clothing store chain joins Sainbury's and Waterstone's in pulling out as Poundland reviews its policy after human rights case

A central plank in the government's unemployment strategy has suffered another set back after another high street retailer confirmed that it had withdrawn from using unpaid benefit claimants to work in its stores.
            The discount clothing store TK Maxx has said it no longer supports the Department of Work and Pensions' work experience schemes in which jobseekers can have their benefits removed if they do not work unpaid for up to 30 hours a week. TK Maxx said: "We take our responsibilities as a retailer and employer very seriously and work with a number of bodies that help people get into work. We do not currently support compulsory non-paid work experience in our business."

More:

TK Maxx joins retailers quitting unpaid work scheme for jobseekers | Society | The Guardian

Been following Twitter and this is crumbling before our eyes

Comment

Makes me so so MAD!!!!

There are genuine disabled people out there, this government are taking the P***!!!!!

Well I hope that saying comes true "what goes round comes round"

Comment

Di,

I have been following this closely and is why I have been a bit absent from this forum the last couple of days, There are many campaigns running on this hell even hard line tory's in press comments can see the injustice of this.

It is even featured in The Times a hard line Tory tabloid.

I will be fighting the Government head on over the welfare bill and taking up unites offer of free transport to Parliament on the 7th March I urge everyone who is free on that day to contact unite on the save the NHS page to book there place on the coaches leaving from local area's

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                  Di,

I have been following this closely and is why I have been a bit absent from this forum the last couple of days, There are many campaigns running on this hell even hard line tory's in press comments can see the injustice of this.

It is even featured in The Times a hard line Tory tabloid.

I will be fighting the Government head on over the welfare bill and taking up unites offer of free transport to Parliament on the 7th March I urge everyone who is free on that day to contact unite on the save the NHS page to book there place on the coaches leaving from local area's

Regards

Very proud of you PF.

Comment

David Cameron has called a summit on monday to find ways to tackle the backlash he is facing over the health care bill, however the college of GP'S who are central to his reform have not been invited.

Does that stink or what.

Comment

Tueday 7th March ill be twittering from London you can find me @leonc1963

Comment

Who is and who is not invited to Cameron's emergency summit

Who is, and is not, invited to Cameron's emergency NHSbill summit? A data visualisation. - bengoldacre - secondary blog

Comment

Great, isn't it, our non-elected government whose parties stated no more top down nhs reorganisation, and who have no mandate for this are having a summit meeting of only the yeays so they can report an overwhelming absence of nayes and thus validate their privatisation, at our expense, of the profitable bits of the nhs. They can then starve the non profit bits (kids, elderly, mental health, chronic medical, physically disabled etc. of the necessary funds. Ye Gods, it stinks. I too have been following this one closely, also the welfare bill and the employment rights . This is no democracy, this is apalling misuse of power.

Comment

NHS changes: Critics 'not invited' to PM's meeting

Some of the fiercest critics of the planned NHS reforms in England say they have not been invited to a meeting about the changes with David Cameron.
                            The British Medical Association and the Royal College of Nursing, which want the bill to be withdrawn, say they have not been asked to Monday's event.
                            Labour accused the prime minister of a "last-ditch desperate bid to shore up collapsing support" for the bill.
                            Downing Street would not disclose who had been invited to the meeting.
                            A spokeswoman said only that it was "a range of national healthcare organisations and clinical commissioning groups".
                            The BMA said in a statement: "If there is such an event, it would seem odd if the major bodies representing health professionals were not included."

More:

BBC News - NHS changes: Critics s meeting

Comment

Just how corrupt do they have to be? | Charles West

Comment

Working...
                              X