GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with Landlord - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Landlord

Just wondering if anyone could give us some advice on what to do...

Regarding the Landlord; He is using a Letting Agent as he lives abroad and not sure if he is permanently away or only stays away part of the year.

Whenever we need anything done to the house, we have to contact the letting agent who then either calls, txt's or more than likely e-mails him and it could take up to an average of 2 weeks for him to reply.

Isn’t there some sort of rule or something where if the LL doesn’t live in this country, they need a proxy? And how long is generally given got repairs or anything to be done?

some of the problems were having is;
    1 the heating/water, is old (it's not a combi-boiler) and if we want hot water, we have to turn the heating off and vice-versa, with no heating it gets cold VERY quick.

2 Regards getting cold quick, we think there isn’t any cavity wall insulation as the back of the house gets freezing (we cant see the plugged-up drill holes).

Is there anything we can get done as it doesn’t help my wife much as she is disabled and suffers with Diabetes and when it's too cold for her, she goes to bed and shuts down and goes to sleep until she gets (or the house) gets warm again.
    I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Re: Problem with Landlord

Pooky I am not 100% sure about this - but I will see if I can find out anything - Mr Loo works for an estate agents and they do have a lettings department so I can see if I can pick their brains.

Are you privately renting or through an agent?

What does it say in your tennacy agreements?

I am sure nowdays boilers have to have proper checks before a property is rented out??

The thing is (I have just become a tennant myself) whilst you have valid complaints - i know part of you kind of thinks you dont want to rock the boat.

but let me see what i can find out for you

Comment

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...FQkRfAodzG8AyQ

^^^ this may help
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by LooLoo View Post
        Pooky I am not 100% sure about this - but I will see if I can find out anything - Mr Loo works for an estate agents and they do have a lettings department so I can see if I can pick their brains.

Are you privately renting or through an agent?
        Don't quite understand, what's the difference?
        Were renting off someone who is using a letting agency

What does it say in your tennacy agreements?
        re what?

I am sure nowdays boilers have to have proper checks before a property is rented out??
        It does have it's annual check and passes but it's as old as time itself!

The thing is (I have just become a tennant myself) whilst you have valid complaints - i know part of you kind of thinks you dont want to rock the boat.

but let me see what i can find out for you
        Thanks for the help
        I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

Sorry but there isn't much you can do.

Firstly if its through a letting agent then the LL isn't doing anything wrong. My landlord lives in australia and I have a letting agent who I deal with they are allowed to sanction so much for repairs anything else BIG goes through LL.

As for the heating situation -- Write a formal letter to the letting agent send it recorded and give a reasonable timescale in which you expect it to be sorted or at least acknowledged by this will help you if you need to take it to tribunal.

Comment

Hi again - i was in the middle of typing a reply then had to nip out but have Jen has pretty much hit the nail on the head. As you have an agent to go through - I would probably keep getting on them - good idea about the letter - maybe see if you can get the boiler sorted over the summer so you don't have this problem over next winter.

I rent privately - so I have no agent to get in touch with - if i have a problem i would contact my LL who luckily lives very locally.

the boiler does sound very knackered - I am suprised it keeps passing the checks.

Regarding time scales I am not sure there are any hard and fast rules.....

Comment

Re the boiler, I have sent the LA proof that my wife can get up to £3,500 grant from Warm Front towards sorting the boiler out, not once but twice but they’re still not interested, I heard off somewhere I could go the Environmental Health route and get them to come and have a look and maybe condemn it?

Comment

I would have thought the plumber who checked it for the certificate would have condemed it if it was bad as I "think" they are legally obliged to??

Did you speak to the LA or email/write to them??

Comment

Originally posted by LooLoo View Post
                  Did you speak to the LA or email/write to them??
                  all 3

Comment

Personally I would write to them tell them that you would like someone to come out to see the boiler as its packed it in. You smell gas. end of.

Comment

Think I might go the Environmental Health route

Comment

Health and safety in privately rented accommodation : Directgov - Home and community

Private renting : Directgov - Home and community

here you go havearead

Comment

Its a difficault one as the landlord could easily say that you took on the house knowing how it was so it was your choice to take on the house like that, so from the LL point of view there is no reason to spend any money to do an upgrade. I would write to the agent sending it recorded and enclose prices of boilers that are suitable for the house and then add a bit for fitting and saying that taking into consideration the grant that your wife could get it would only cost them £x to do the upgrade.
                          I am not saying its right that they may not have to update the boiler, especially when they have a tennant who is affected the way your wife is but I have a nasty feeling that unless its giving off fumes or is in a dangerous condition there may not be anything you can do about it
                          When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Originally posted by Susie View Post
                            Its a difficault one as the landlord could easily say that you took on the house knowing how it was so it was your choice to take on the house like that, so from the LL point of view there is no reason to spend any money to do an upgrade. I would write to the agent sending it recorded and enclose prices of boilers that are suitable for the house and then add a bit for fitting and saying that taking into consideration the grant that your wife could get it would only cost them £x to do the upgrade.
                            I am not saying its right that they may not have to update the boiler, especially when they have a tennant who is affected the way your wife is but I have a nasty feeling that unless its giving off fumes or is in a dangerous condition there may not be anything you can do about it
                            I know, that's what pisses us of, that they'll say 'it works, what more do you want?'. Well, for a kick off, something that is less hassle and is more economical and that doesn’t rattle like fcuk when the water is hot enough.

Comment

The letting agent isnt doing anything wrong, infact they are complying with their obligations by passing your requests on and waiting for a reply from the landlord.

If you feel you are getting nowhere, write a letter to the letting agent, give them a good 14 days to reply and demand that the issues be rectified.

Personally, i would withold payment of rent until the situation has been sorted, i wouldnt advise you to do it though because i dont want to be the cause for any eviction, but my belief is, you would soon see them get a spert on when no rent is coming in!

On a side note, get the letting agent to send a guy round to check the boiler, sweet talk him in to recommending it be upgraded to a better boiler that can handle heating and hot water. Sometimes the guys who they send round are happy to suggest anything they feel may help you out.

My old letting agent had tons of work to do to the house after various "recommendations"
                              Last edited by SXGuy; 31 March 2012, 07:35.
                              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                              X