GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How long do debts stay on credit file ? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do debts stay on credit file ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do debts stay on credit file ?

Our debts were defaulted in 2007 onward we started UE in July 2012 .

We haven't checked our credit files as we don't want to wake up the creditors, but with things getting harder and harder such as wtc and now council tax help being based on minimum wage for self employed, we are looking into other ways to get by.

We were wondering if we could sell this house put a 25000 deposit down on another one say of 60000 and then get a mortgage which would halve our outgoings , we have not missed a mortgage payment for 14 months so should be good standing on that ?

Does anyone think this would be possible ?

Re: How long do debts stay on credit file ?

Hi s2m, defaults stay on your credit file for 6 years and then drop off your credit file. You say that you have not missed a mortgage payment for 14 months, before then what was your payment history? Even if you are going to decrease your mortgage, problems within the last 2 years may be too soon for your credit history.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

We had an arrangement to pay back the arrears .

Comment

Have you thought about remortgaging part interest only and part repayment? Or moving to interest only for a couple of years?

Comment

Originally posted by JLC View Post
          Have you thought about remortgaging part interest only and part repayment? Or moving to interest only for a couple of years?

Already interest only , its a big house and too big now for us as our son's have left home, we need to lower our outgoings to be able to manage i don't work due to severe anxiety and agoraphobia , so the best option is downsizing the house and mortgage .

Comment

there are different rules in place now to assess one's affordability to get mortgage (sometimes it is so stupid that people cannot switch to mortgage with lower payments than they are paying now.... 'cos they would have been denied their old mortgage as well under the new rules...)

if you can, take a lodger in for some time (I know, not ideal if you cannot stand strangers in your house), it also has some tax advantages

you might most probably not get those low rates you base your assessments on, so you downsize, incur all costs associated with moving and it might be for peanuts

Comment

Originally posted by jadex View Post
              there are different rules in place now to assess one's affordability to get mortgage (sometimes it is so stupid that people cannot switch to mortgage with lower payments than they are paying now.... 'cos they would have been denied their old mortgage as well under the new rules...)

if you can, take a lodger in for some time (I know, not ideal if you cannot stand strangers in your house), it also has some tax advantages

you might most probably not get those low rates you base your assessments on, so you downsize, incur all costs associated with moving and it might be for peanuts

I know it is difficult, we might be getting a big payment from my dad soon and we are thinking of selling this and using the money to put towards a smaller house , it depends how much my dad releases .

He helps us out a lot and we are fortunate that he does and we wouldn't be here in this house if he didn't help . He says he helps because he appreciates what we do for him and my mum but we would do it anyway even if he didn't help us out . So we're waiting to see what happens here i am just looking to improve our outgoings and the house is far too big four bedrooms and two bathrooms and only the two of us .

A lodger wouldn't like living here i have panic attacks and sometimes my husband has to take me to the hospital when i have problems with my back and it really would freak someone out who didn't understand .

Comment

Working...
              X