GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bath Empire - Abusing your consumer rights - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bath Empire - Abusing your consumer rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bath Empire - Abusing your consumer rights

This is an upcoming fight between me and Bath Empire (Trading as Luxury for Less) - Basically, long story short we spend a few hundred online at http://www.bathempire.com/ (The Bath Empire - T/A Luxury For Less) on 2nd October 2014. We had the new suite and shower installed and noticed a drip from the shower. I called and spoke to an adviser who said they'd send a new shower unit and not to worry as when we get it sorted they'd reimburse our associated costs - a couple of weeks later I had my plumber back to install it. Then I called them again to discuss my costs and they said to send in an email with photo's - however in this phone call the adviser said to throw the old unit away - he said that they did not need it. I told him that his colleague had previously said to retain it for testing but he said no throw it - I went mad on the phone and said I hated inconsistent staff and queried why I was being told different things. Then we started emailing......

........you can get the gist from our email chain below.....

My original email - 2nd March 2015:

We purchased a lot of items from you to change our bathroom. This was booked in for November and a few weeks after installation we noticed a constant dripping from the shower top valve (the one which you turn to turn the shower on / off). This is attached as image1.

Image0 shows you the completed bathroom to give you an idea of the finished result prior to the drip being evident.

Anyway we noticed that this drip appeared and we called our plumber back out to check it out - this had leaked behind the board / tiles and was a faulty unit. All my plumber did was install the unit, there was no need for him to mess about with parts inside and it when I asked him if he'd accessed the cartridge he said no, there was no need to.

Photo's image2 through to image6 show you the damage caused by the leaking shower including removal of tiles and the new shower screen.

Image7 is how the shower screen looks after prising it from the old tiles which were also broken when the plumber had to remove the old shower. As you must appreciate when you install a new bathroom suite you install it to last so the plumber had originally installed the screen as you should, with sealant and the screws. Upon prising it from the tiles it dinted the frame in all contact points of the mastic to tile and is now rendered useless.

Image8 shows the completed state (before grout) after installation of the replacement shower that you kindly sent out.

So, as a result of this problem with the shower mixer unit and the fact we're now quite a lot of money out of pocket I am writing to ask if you're willing to help with some of the additional costs associated with this. I have spoken to a few people on the phone and they confirmed that I needed to email you and you'll make a decision - the revised costs I have incurred as a result of the damage caused by the faulty part is shown below:

Plumber to come and remove existing shower / locate and isolate the leak - £60
    Plumber installation of replacement shower - £100
    Tiler for replacement tiling - £90
    Shower screen - £68

Plus of course there is consequential losses such as my time in dealing with this and the repeated calls and this email itself, the inconvenience of having no bathroom for a week whilst we waited on the replacement and then the plumber and tiler's availability.

However, with the above in mind I did confirm to your colleagues on the phone that I am happy to accept a goodwill payment of around £150 in consideration of full and final settlement of the complaint.
    Their reply - 5th March 2015:

Thank you for your email.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this matter.

To enable me to investigate this further can you please advise if you have returned the original mixer valve to us as requested by my colleague?

If not do you still have the item? If so can we please come and collect it for testing?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards

Vicky Jakeman

On Behalf of Head of Customer Relations
    My reply - 5th March 2015:

Hi

I was told last week to throw it away. I argued with the rep and said Matt told me to keep it. He said no bin it.

Regards
    Their reply - 10 March 2015:

Thank you for your email.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you have encountered with our product.

As stated in our terms and conditions we will not be liable for any additional third party costs incurred due to the refitting of a product.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this matter.

If you require any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me on 02476 389052.

Kind Regard

Vicky Jakeman

On Behalf of Head of Customer Relations
    As you can see, their latest reply (above) is way off the mark really, and it contradicts what I have been told on three different phone conversations with their staff. Each time on the phone I was told to email the problem and management would reimburse me - there never any suggestion that they'd hide behind their terms, which for the record I feel are unfair and could be challenged in court (I am happy to do this).

The company owners / directors are shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	luxury-1.png
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1416464
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Re: Bath Empire - Abusing your consumer rights

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/08...rs-secretaries

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/st...apId=242633170

Too many names...
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Well this firm basically state that they will not pay for any work as a result of faulty parts, in line with their terms - forgetting the fact their faulty shower unit leaked and flooded our newly fitted bathroom....

Their terms state --> https://www.bathempire.com/info-terms_and_conditions

b) In the event of us agreeing to reimburse you for the costs of reinstallation (for instance, if we determine that the product in question was defective when installed but such defect may not have been clearly apparent to you or your plumber or other installer) then such reimbursement is limited to your plumber or other installer's reasonable costs, which may be determined with reference to normal industry levels at the time in question.

c) In the unlikely event of damage or injury as a result of our product, such claims for costs will be dealt with by an independent assessor appointed by ourselves. The assessor will investigate the claim and advise all parties concerned accordingly. All instances must be reported within 14 days following the incident.
      Not really very accurate is it!!
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Comfortable chair and pop corn ready .

good luck, do they realise what they are unleashing?
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

What a debarcle why does everything have to cause problems, its faulty OK we'll change it ,used to apply. Its not hard is it.
          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Cym I'll bring the wine,
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Last year I bought a new kitchen via another company and a couple of problems came about (some reviews stated not very good on complaints) but I found one phone call and replacements arrived days later and told do not bother returning faulty items,, Kitchen Design was the name.

But this one reported above Bath Empire is taking the Pxxx
              Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 10 March 2015, 11:33.

Comment

They certainly seem to have an odd idea about the Distance Selling Regulations:

Name:	bath01.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1407482

But, then, I'd generally prefer to deal with a company whose Customer Relations wallah looks less like Mr Potato Head or a Sontaran :

Name:	bath02.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1407484

Comment

If you purchased this bathroom fitting online then chances are you paid for it on a credit card. If that's the case then make a claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act which could have a quicker result than arguing with the company's Customer Relations team. And it's free to do as well. I know you know that but I was posting for the benefit of others who might not

Their Ts & Cs don't affect your statutory rights so if you're feeling vindictive (and I would be under the circumstances) make a call to Trading Standards because if the company has broken the law they can be prosecuted in a Magistrates Court.

The trouble with Customer Relations people is they don't think logically. If a pacemaker fails so you have a heart attack and die, then your family would sue for loss of life (£millions) not just the faulty widget inside the pacemaker.

Plan B x

Comment

Oh if they really want to fight me on this then fine, I'll arm myself with a suitable solicitor (got plenty to choose from) and go all the way. They are wrong in their interpretation of various laws and they seem to think that because they advertise 'Terms' that those terms are enforceable and legal.

I think otherwise, they are a copy / paste hashed up 100% biased to the firm. They will be ripped apart as unfair and in breach.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                      If you purchased this bathroom fitting online then chances are you paid for it on a credit card. If that's the case then make a claim under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act which could have a quicker result than arguing with the company's Customer Relations team. And it's free to do as well. I know you know that but I was posting for the benefit of others who might not
                      Debit card - I'm Niddy, I don't do credit

** I can utilise chargeback even though the cutoff is 120 days because the fitting wasn't immediate and thus I would argue that the 120 days commence from date of installation......

Comment

They'll soon wish they'd just made the goodwill payment
                        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                          They'll soon wish they'd just made the goodwill payment
                          It'd be much easier for them to go that route - but then I'm biased.....

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.bathempire.com

Just left a nice accurate review

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                            It'd be much easier for them to go that route - but then I'm biased.....

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.bathempire.com

Just left a nice accurate review
                            Oh dear...the compliance team is investigating
                            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                              Oh dear...the compliance team is investigating
                              They always do when you leave links so I had to take out the link to this thread - never mind eh

Name:	review.png
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1407486

Comment

Working...
                              X