GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Giffgaff Cell Phone Network - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giffgaff Cell Phone Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giffgaff Cell Phone Network

Hello AAD Members,

The time is soon approaching when I will need to buy a cellular telephone. That presents two problems, choosing the handset and choosing the network. I've already done my research into the handsets and have made my choice, what I now need to do is choose the network.

I've heard good things about this Giffgaff network, which is a lot cheaper than most of the others, and which doesn't tie you down to a contract. This has two advantages – firstly, as an extremely light user I won't be paying fortunes every month for something I don't use, and, secondly, there won't be any nasty credit checks.

This should be of interest to everyone on this site with a knackered credit file (which I suspect is most of us). I have seen quite a few new posters going down the UE route for the first time, who were worried about defaults stopping them getting essential services. One of these was a cell phone contract. Well, if you can get a comprehensive service without a contract, that is surely less of a problem.

So, has anyone got any experience of this network?

If I do try it, I'll report back here with my experiences.

SH

Re: Giffgaff Cell Phone Network

My brother and his family are on GiffGaff and they like it.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

My son is on it and he loves it too.. I believe it runs off O2!

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
        My son is on it and he loves it too.. I believe it runs off O2!
        ...Seeing as the O2 network was down again on Friday (and over the weekend for some people) I'm not sure that's a recommendation!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hmm they do indeed run on the O2 network....they're cheap for a reason as well they have a ""virtual" customer service that rely on members to solve issues rather than ring a dedicated number..

the short time I tried they were a nightmare...messed up the port & the web page sometimes can crash while your in the middle of something....BUT once the virgin contract is up in a wile i'd definatley give giffgaff a go again for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
            ...Seeing as the O2 network was down again on Friday (and over the weekend for some people) I'm not sure that's a recommendation!
            same fault brought tesco down as well...theyre a virtual o2 network sharer as well

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
              same fault brought tesco down as well...theyre a virtual o2 network sharer as well
              I know! My DD is on Tesco...

Comment

Just to update this thread, as I see people are still reading it.

I've now got the cell phone, and I went through the Giffgaff sign up process. That was painless and easy enough, although I did have to wait a week for the SIM card to arrive. It doesn't matter whether your handset needs a standard SIM or a micro SIM, because the smaller is actually contained within the larger. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note II, which uses a micro SIM. I think iPhones are the same.

I've accessed the Internet and made a few posts on here without any trouble, both from home and while I've been out. I've even made posts on moving trains while they were going through rural areas, and they went through without any trouble even though the signal was noticeably weaker.

You can top up the balance online with any plastic card, and I think you can even get round this if you are temporarily without one, by buying o2 vouchers.

So far, this seems to be a pretty good alternative to cell phone contracts, which many of us may not be able to get in the first place. It also eliminates the possibility of a cell phone provider going nuts, falsely alleging you have a debt, and trashing your credit file. I've seen that happen far too often.

I'll update again if there are any more developments, but so far it is working well.

SH

Comment

Working...
                X