GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Printer Issues - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Printer Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Issues

Hey guys, got a problem with my printer, since installing updated drivers and software is printing really slow, i mean really slow, like 1 page every 5 to 10 minutes.

Test page is also printing at the same speed.

The printer is HP Photosmart C4585.

I am using fake ink cartridges, and i did read somewhere updating the software will cause it to not function correctly, so it could be that.

I had to upgrade windows from XP to win 7 and the old software wouldnt work, so had no choice but to upgrade the printer software also.

As far as i can recall it worked fine before this.

So do you reckon im right in saying its the bloody updated software with the fake ink cartridges causing the issue?

Ive unplugged it all, changed USB ports, took cartirdges out and cleaned them, ran test pages, used different software to print.
    All cause slow printing.

Ive even rolled back the driver but no luck.

Guessing i now have to bloody buy original HP ink Cartridges now

Anyone know where i can get cheap original HP Ink?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Printer Issues

have you had a read here>> Slow Printing HP Photosmart C4585 All-in-One Printer | HP® Support

never had much experiance with HP stuff...BUT I have had the same issue with an epson all in one & non compatible inks...trouble is once I switched back to compatible the printer was too far gone & knackered in the end

Comment

I had a similar issue with other printers, my problem was that there were two physical printers installed, once I had gone to control panel and removed the one I no longer needed and set the other to default my problem was fixed.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

Phil i had read that yeah. Didnt solve it.

Turned out to be the refill cartridges and the software update.

Nothing i can do im afraid as i have no choice with the driver and software update since installing Win 7 (known issues with previous versions) and well, its stopped the refills from working.

Just installed originals and its working fast again.

Will find a cheap retalier online in the future as it just cost £25 for black and colour from PC World, used to cost me around £19 for refill.
        Last edited by SXGuy; 15 October 2012, 15:55.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I look out for cheap original HP cartridges on ebay. I sold the last lot of empty ones too...I was surprised how much I got for them. I used to just throw them away!
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

ooh Pixie good idea!! didnt think of that, people always want them to refill, good plan!

Should save meself a couple a quid that way.

Comment

I have a fairly new Canon printer and like all the others it warns against using non-original cartridges (which cost a small fortune of course.)

However, with the competitive pricing of new printers I thought I'd risk using replacement ones from a cheaper source. I could always buy a new printer for little more than the cost of a full set of cartridges!

I use Windows 7 with the latest drivers for the printer (A Canon Pixma MG 6150) and to date have printed hundreds of pages of maps, text and assorted other stuff as well as a good number of photo prints. All with no problem at all!

In case you're interested, I get my cartridges from a company in the UK called Inkredible. They are fast and seem very reliable so far.

I have no connection with the company so have no vested interest in recommending them, just thought I'd pass on the details!

Also, they regularly have very good additional discount offers from time to time.

Comment

Its something HP added to their software recently, massive sign up in the shop i buy my refills from saying DO NOT UPDATE SOFTWARE if you wish to continue using refills

I always bought refills in the past, no problems at all.

But like i said previously, after upgrading to Win 7, the drivers and software that came with the printer, and worked in XP, no longer worked in Win 7. I got a big fact, software and driver incompatability notice when i tried lol.

So had no option but to install new ones, and thats when the issue started.

It used to say in the past, ink levels not detected, but now it says, not original HP cartridges. It must have something to do with the little chip that sits in the cartridge letting the software know its been depleated previously.

And it wouldnt be hard for HP to add a bit of script to their software to say, if detected that they depleated previously, run slow on printing.

Which is what happens. No one will put up with that, so they have no option but to switch back.

I should also point out that these were original HP cartridges, they were just refilled.

The pc did come with Standard HP printer drivers that worked, but you had no printer options, which wasnt gonna work for me, as i deal with Self Assessments, i can only send them printed in black and white, and the standard driver wouldnt let me change from colour printing.
                Last edited by SXGuy; 16 October 2012, 09:38.

Comment

I have a HP printer and I do use genuine cartridges, I buy them from Amazon and it costs me £29.75 for both colour and black, I buy the XL ones and they last a long while, I do an awful lot of printing, the non genuine ones come out at £23 for the pair so for the extra six quid I buy the real ones. If my cartridges were more expensive I would look to non originals.

Comment

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but the one I have currently is Lexmark, so can be quite expensive for ink.
                    I am thinking of purchasing another one, and from what I have read that HP is probably one of the best options.

The one I currently have has everything combined including FAX.

But................when it comes to the ink there are always issues within local computer stores who stopped selling lexmark.

I have not researched yet, but I take it going by the TV ads, there are offers going on at Curry's maybe Comet stores as well?

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                      Sorry to change the subject slightly, but the one I have currently is Lexmark, so can be quite expensive for ink.
                      I am thinking of purchasing another one, and from what I have read that HP is probably one of the best options.

The one I currently have has everything combined including FAX.

But................when it comes to the ink there are always issues within local computer stores who stopped selling lexmark.

I have not researched yet, but I take it going by the TV ads, there are offers going on at Curry's maybe Comet stores as well?
                      Di, I have in my garage a brand new - and I mean brand new Lexmark 8300 all in one, it has auto sheet feeder for the scanner/fax/multiple card reader everything you could want, except that I don't want it because the inks are so expensive, it will cost £51 for the inks, that is ridiculous, it is still in the box, no ink cartridges with it so I am taking it to the tip, this would be an exceptional machine if it wasn't for the inks, such a shame.

Comment

Dont take it to the tip, sell it on ebay!

Di lexmark are quite expensive, i do know that my old refill shop sells refills for them though so maybe worth looking in to.

I have read kodak printers have cheap refills and last longer than other brands, but whether thats true in real life im not sure.

I wouldnt mind a continous ink printer, but im sure they can be quite pricey.

I have thought about getting a printer where the colour ink are split in to seperate cartridges though because i tend to use blue more than any, and i hate the fact i have to buy a refill just for 1 colour.

Comment

Sounds like you have more or less the same one as mine Vossy and what a real shame.

Although I did manage to get some ink, the cost was pathetic at almost £60 for the 2.
                          I do have an older one in the attic, cannot remember the make, but its not lexmark, but just basic, the way its going I will have to be bringing that one back down.

Comment

for now i'd steer clear of kodak especially with bankruptcy procedings still moving....i've had epsons for years now all use a continual ink server my latest one (epson sx425w) is wireless has copier fax etc and cost me just over £40 from PC world

Manx print are my current favorites

But I would suggest asking as FP suggested about a chip resetter....thats worked for a number of years across the ranges without a hitch i've heard of so far
                            Last edited by philnicandamy; 16 October 2012, 17:43.

Comment

Thanks FP, Phil, sounds all good, i will def look in to this abit more!

Need to save money on ink where ever i can really.

ill look into chip resetting, and continuous ink systems!!

Comment

Working...
                              X