GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Car Insurance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance

Bit of a silly question but want to check it's ok to insure 2 cars with different insurance companies.

I'm buying a car from a neighbour because my current one won't get through the MOT without major money being spent. The insurance co are one call who I want to leave anyway (just google them to see why) who want £55.00 to change car and something similar to cancel the policy which has 2 payments left.

I've used go compare and can get a good deal from Swinton for the next car which I'm hoping to get at the weekend so I was going to insure the new motor through the Swinton and let the other insurance run it's course, making sure I write to them to confirm I do NOT want then to auto - renew. It'll be cheaper to do that than to try and cancel.

I had 9 years odd NCB when I went to Onecall a couple of years back and I assume Swinton will want evidence of the current NCB (I put 9 years on Go compare) to insure the new car. Are onecall obliged by law to give me proof of NCB if I ask ?

Thx

Re: Car Insurance

TBH I don't see why not but I don't know for sure.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

yes you are fine to have a different insurer on a different car, and when the renewal is due from your old insurer they usually state the no claims on the renewal form, thats good enough for proof. If they dont state it, you are also perfectly within your rights to ask for proof.

Companies like Admaral, will contact them for you on behalf if you give them your policy number and company name.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I am with Swinton this year and they wanted the proof of NCD within 30 days of policy starting

Comment

Thx everyone, I wont get a renewal from onecall as I'm writing to ask them not to auto renew, I assume last years wont be any use due to the age of it. I'll just ask them for proof and see what they say.

Comment

You may have problems in them accepting the NCB because you are starting a new policy while you have another.another in existence. You can have as many different policies as you want, each for a different vehicle, but each policy will have it's own NCB.

Comment

That could be true actually, didnt think about the cross over in policies.

Comment

I tried a quote with no NCB and don't want to even think about thiose prices when I was in my 20's if you changed car you'd ring up your insurance company give them the new details, maybe agree a different monthly price and that was it, none of this £55.00 malarky.
                Hmm not sure what to do now, to cancel apparently they charge as follows according to their website:

Cancellation
                Within the first 14 days from receiving your policy documents or the policy start date you may cancel your policy under the cooling off period. This is provided that you cancel your policy and return all documentation within 14 days of receiving your policy documents or the policy start date, whichever is the latter. All insurers have a right to apply a “policy time on risk” charge. One Call Insurance will apply a charge in addition to any insurer charges to cover the cost of setting up your policy in accordance with our terms of business (please see above for charge.) After this period we will cancel your policy on a Short Rate basis, full details can be found in our main terms and conditions.

I can't find their main T&C's though so suppose I'll have to give them a ring to find out

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                  You may have problems in them accepting the NCB because you are starting a new policy while you have another.another in existence. You can have as many different policies as you want, each for a different vehicle, but each policy will have it's own NCB.
                  Yes, i experienced this a while ago. Apparently the NCB can only be applied to one "policy". So if you insure two cars via two policies then you get your discount (although this is a blag in itself!) on one, and effectively bugger all on the second. Con? You bet it is! The next best thing is a "multi-car policy" although what i found was it was the same as two policies anyway (although didnt spend too much time shopping around)!
                  When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Hmmm, the policy states that the policyholder may also drive any motor car not belonging to him.....so if I register the car in my OH's name I could drive it under the Onecall Insurance until December then re-insure with Swinton at the cheaper rate ? This is assuming I could insure a car that I don't own ?

Comment

Originally posted by fedupwiththeworry View Post
                      This is assuming I could insure a car that I don't own ?
                      Check that - most policies i have had state "you are the owner and registered vehicle keeper". This is their way of putting the mockers on this. A common mis-conception is the name on the V5 is the owner - not necessarily. The new ones actually say at the top: "the registered keeper is not necessarily the owner".
                      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Quick update, gave Onecall a ring and they are holding price the same for the change of car with no £55.00 change over fee. Allowing for the additional breakdown cover that wasn't on the swinton quote I'm happy with that and saves a lot of hassle

Comment

Originally posted by fedupwiththeworry View Post
                          Quick update, gave Onecall a ring and they are holding price the same for the change of car with no £55.00 change over fee. Allowing for the additional breakdown cover that wasn't on the swinton quote I'm happy with that and saves a lot of hassle
                          Happy days! Its always worth a try.

Comment

It's always worth a call as insurance is so competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
                              Yes, i experienced this a while ago. Apparently the NCB can only be applied to one "policy". So if you insure two cars via two policies then you get your discount (although this is a blag in itself!) on one, and effectively bugger all on the second. Con? You bet it is! The next best thing is a "multi-car policy" although what i found was it was the same as two policies anyway (although didnt spend too much time shopping around)!
                              Recently i switched mine to admarial multi car policy with my wife, and ive saved around £200 and added ncb protection and legal advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X