GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Finding it difficult to get insured due to mileage - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding it difficult to get insured due to mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding it difficult to get insured due to mileage

From dec 3rd i'll be doing 30000+ miles a year.

I am finding it incredibly difficult to insure my Nissan Micra for anything under £1500.

So looks like due to insurance and Petrol costs i may have to not take this Job with Barclays which obviously isnt good in the grand scheme of things and leaves me almost in same situation as have been since May - Jobless (at least after xmas anyway)

i have had it suggested to register as Self Employed and claim the tax back on fuel and thought could this work out cheaper and legit??

Plus tbh i dont know the ins and outs of Self Employment so dont know what to think about it that way
    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Re: Finding it difficult to get insured due to mileage

Were you offered a job at Barclays?

Look at Hastings direct. We just saved £500pa by using them. We do 30,000+ miles a year easily!!

Well our car was new in sept 07 (16 miles) and now has 150,000

* waste of £16k

Hastings don't ask for annual mileage
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

Look at Hastings direct. We just saved £500pa by using them. We do 30,000+ miles a year easily!!

* waste of £16k

Yep sent in my signed copy of the contract yesterday via Special delivery will be there by 9am on Monday.

Apparently only CCJs are considered a problem for their criteria.

Hastings Quoted me £2435 so thats outta the window.
      They did ask for estimated mileage so i put it down
      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Comment

In comparison my current insureance as house-husband and 5k p/a mileage was £1100 but current insurers wont quote for the mileage i'm looking at

Comment

just tell them you do 5000 a year how can they know ?
          Don't tell them your out of work they charge you more, they did that to my son and he refused the insurance, he then phoned a different insurer and it was half the price.
          Last edited by Spent2much; 24 November 2012, 18:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
            Don't tell them your out of work they charge you more, they did that to my son and he refused the insurance, he then phoned a different insurer and it was half the price.
            Check the MOT history of a vehicle

Check the MOT history of a vehicle - get a full MOT test history and mileage of the vehicle at the time of each test
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Currently the monthly cost is £80.34 which i can manage but anything over £125 makes it less worthwhile taking this role at Barclays seeing as it s going to be a balancing act on how much i'm paying out in petrol and insureance and what is coming in

Comment

i put down 15000 miles and i get £1144 as a quote which is reasonable shame i cant got 35000 miles and get same price

Comment

1. Get a bike
                  2. Lift share
                  3. Public transport

There are alternatives to driving.

Well done on the job. Just goes to show you the banks will take anyone on

That sounds bad but I mean it in a way of come on, like you'll ever be "Pro-Barclays"

I wish you the best matey. Some insider info will be in order
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

with 20k - 25k i get 1306
                    26k- 30k i get 1956

This is all as fully comp as TPFT adds min 600 on to costs

Comment

You can claim miliage or petrol costs under self employment, so up to you which you choose.

Personally, i tell my insurance i do 12k a year, i do more, never had a problem, they dont check it.

The only issue you will find is with finance, as they will charge something like 1p a mile over when you go to hand it back or whatever.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                        They may find out and also if you lie your commiting insurance fraud!!!!

Comment

But at the start of the year you estimate. Now he has a job it'll be more.

Ooops. Shit happens. That's not fraud. Technically )

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

* waste of £16k

If it was Hastings you were complaining about you could of done battle with them!! excuse the pun!

Comment

We left more than at £750 to Hastings at £266.

8 years no claims

Comment

Working...
                              X