GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How much should l ask dtr to pay? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much should l ask dtr to pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should l ask dtr to pay?

Have a predicament and thought l would ask the wise people their opinions!

One of my daughters recently started her first job, it is only part time earning about £120 per week (does have opportunity for overtime of a least a few hours a week)

A) Should l ask her to contribute to the household expenses?

B) How much should l ask?

While l feel she should contribute as she makes full use of gas,elec, washing, food etc. She says l am being unreasonable. I have explained the cost of things and shown her bills. I do not expect her to hand over all her wages but do feel that she should contribute.

Would welcome comments, if you do not agree, l would appreciate if you could explain the rationale behind not agreeing.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

Regards

Flo5

Re: How much should l ask dtr to pay?

Hi Flo, I think you should ask for £50 a week everything all in. She won't get this deal anywhere else and will help her budget for when she finally moves into her own place.

IF...x
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Given she takes home £120, I think £50 might be a bit high - afterall thats close to half her wages.

Not sure how much she should pay - suppose that depends on costs where you are.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I was only saying that because if she rents somewhere, she would have to pay for bills,rent and food and she'd be lucky to have half her wages left over then!!

Comment

Originally posted by flo5 View Post

One of my daughters recently started her first job, it is only part time earning about £120 per week (does have opportunity for overtime of a least a few hours a week)

While l feel she should contribute as she makes full use of gas,elec, washing, food etc. She says l am being unreasonable. I have explained the cost of things and shown her bills. I do not expect her to hand over all her wages but do feel that she should contribute.

Would welcome comments, if you do not agree, l would appreciate if you could explain the rationale behind not agreeing.

Regards

Flo5
          I Would say a 1/3 so £ 40.00 or take the £50.00 and put £10.00 into a saving account for when she leavses home......
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by in 2 deep View Post
            I Would say a 1/3 so £ 40.00 or take the £50.00 and put £10.00 into a saving account for when she leavses home......
            Good idea I2D

Comment

My Son earns roughly the same as he is doing one of these Government apprenticeships that are nothing of the sort we did as teenagers.

As he has to pay travel expenses and other items like his clothing I have told him for now he pays the child benefit that my wife lost so he is paying £21 a week but he also knows as his wages increase so does his keep as this is very much a temporary supportive measure to help him stand on his own two feet.

School/college leavers of today have it a lot harder than us when jobs where in abundance.

Just my take hope it goes some way in helping you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by flo5 View Post

Regards

Flo5
                Hi Flo5,
                Well I am a soft touch(not a judge on the voice) I have 4 children 2 off each thank goodness 2 girls have cost nothing 2 boys have and expect us to bail them out all the time I am talking thousands of £s so start as you mean to go on or believe me you will regret not being strong in the furure.
                Last edited by helmsman; 24 April 2012, 18:23.

Comment

I take 10% of gross pay as my DD is self-employed in the theatre, so sometimes work ain't really there. I expect her to help run the house and she buys her own toiletries extras etc. You should take something, my DS got quite a shock about costs when he moved in to flat recently, the price of gas and electricity shocked him a lot while he was at home it never used to occurr to him to turn anything off, he sure does now though

Comment

Hmmmm..... tricky one this.

I can still remember having to pay a huge chunk of my very first salary in "housekeeping" and the result of this was that it took years and years to get on my feet.

My own daughter now is at uni. but when she leaves and starts working, I won't be taking a whack from her for housekeeping because:

a) I want her to have a life before settling down and having kids, and

b) I would rather she and her boyfriend live between the 2 houses, save money by paying much less than they would in rent.... and in doing so, allow themselves the chance to save for a deposit on a property.

Circumstances are different in every household but that's my view anyway... I will of course be taking something but not a huge amount.
                    Remember the mantra:
                    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

I'd pay my daughter £50 per week to move back in with me - I miss her terribly

Comment

I never charged board either, not something I believe in personally but based on £120 take home, and her young age and need to live some life I would say £25 per week or £100 per month is a nominal sum for 'digs' or whatever word you call it.

I chose never to charge it, cos really we don't need it and being both my girls are spoiled anyway, it wouldn't have done anything cos they'd have done the same 'daddeeeeeeee' sad eye look and I'd have let em off regardless.

Lose / Lose to most dads when dealing with daughters.

planB- agree. Would love our eldest to move back (but not with her bf in tow of course )
                        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
                          Hi Flo, I think you should ask for £50 a week everything all in. She won't get this deal anywhere else and will help her budget for when she finally moves into her own place.

IF...x
                          how much

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a comment.

We asked for £25.00 per week and she is horrified. This is my fourth daughter and all of her siblings have "contributed" ( she has an older sister who willingly contributes £25 per week) partly as l feel that she should contribute to the expenses as she is having the privileges, and it helps her learn that you have to pay your way in the real world.

Secondly our finances dictate that we have to budget very carefully.

One of her sisters moved out a few weeks ago from our home (along with her husband and their dtr) . Who were also meant to contribute and basically failed to do so so for many months ( another long story).

I do not want to make the same mistake again.

Thank you all again, your comments have been varied and l welcome the different prospectives.

Something to sleep on - or ponder over at 3 in the morning when l cannot sleep!

Flo5

Comment

I think £25pw is fine. If she argues ask her to go buy her own food for a week and see what it costs.

That ought to convince her - unless she can live on a milkshake a day

Comment

Working...
                              X