GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Employer asking me to go on course which states i must pay the cost in full if i leave - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Employer asking me to go on course which states i must pay the cost in full if i leave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employer asking me to go on course which states i must pay the cost in full if i leave

hiya,

I have been asked to attend a course which costs £1800. Before the submit button it says that the cost in full is repayable if i leave voluntarily within 12 months.
    Could they enforce this? I guess they would just attempt to take it out of last wages and then would be down to me to fight for it back which is what is worrying me.

Cheers
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Employer asking me to go on course which states i must pay the cost in full if i leave

Don't do it if you're going to quit. Unless doing it would warrant a job at +£1800 to cover the recharge if course if you leave.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Re: Employer asking me to go on course which states i must pay the cost in full if i leave

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      Don't do it if you're going to quit. Unless doing it would warrant a job at +£1800 to cover the recharge if course if you leave.
      Thanks for prompt reply mate, appreciate it. I have thought of a spanner to throw in their works (AAD trained!). I am going to ask what they mean by "liability schedule" as this should be stated at the time of agreement i would have thought?!
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Good luck mate
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
          I have been asked to attend a course which costs £1800. Before the submit button it says that the cost in full is repayable if i leave voluntarily within 12 months.
          Have you any plans to leave in the next twelve months? I assume it means repayable if you leave within twelve months of completing the course, if so how long is the course?

As Niddy has said if doing the course allows you to increase your income potential by £1,800 then you wouldn't lose anything if you had to pay it back. Besides you'd also have been able to complete the course whilst working and being paid by your current employer which is helpful.

Comment

hi plan b

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
            Have you any plans to leave in the next twelve months? I assume it means repayable if you leave within twelve months of completing the course, if so how long is the course?

um i was hoping to have moved on to ventures new in around that time (12 months), so its not going to cost me. The course is 5 days. Its a lot better than previously by all accounts as people were paying for the course (some more than this), accomodation, travel, food etc and then claiming it back and arguing over things already paid for by the employee. I never bowed down to that shite, so i guess this is the less of the evils!

As Niddy has said if doing the course allows you to increase your income potential by £1,800 then you wouldn't lose anything if you had to pay it back. Besides you'd also have been able to complete the course whilst working and being paid by your current employer which is helpful.

It's not going to be hugely useful to me, but then its not going to cost me anything either and its a week out of the usual litter, so can't grumble really!

Thanks for posting by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by SA Gold View Post
              It's not going to be hugely useful to me.
              It might no be hugely useful to you, but it may make you more useful to them once you've completed the course. You may want to ask them for a pay rise to reflect your new knowledge base

Comment

It might no be hugely useful to you, but it may make you more useful to them once you've completed the course. You may want to ask them for a pay rise to reflect your new knowledge base

Very true PlanB! The "Investors in People" plaques have always amused me in workplaces. I could understand Walkers crisps saying we invest in our potatoes, but investors in people is basically saying we invest in our own company lol.

Fat chance of a pay rise thou! There are people on less money who have been told to F-off so i wouldn't even waste my time trying to put my case forward for it, but just keep trying to move onwards and upwards.

Comment

Be careful, don't commit if you feel you could leave and are not prepared to pay back for the training - I issue training contracts which both the employee and we as employer sign and we would enforce through withholding salary (set out in the contract) and if there wasn't enough to cover the cost of the course we would take to small claims. Our contract is very clear - we claim back over a 3 year period on a sliding scale. Having said that this is more professional qualifications rather than training, any mandatory training is covered by the company and non-refundable.

Jane x

Comment

The company I work had a scheme where you had a budget for a company car and you could, if you wanted, go over and they would take the money from your wages over the 3 year lease term.

If you left within the first 12 months of the lease, you had to pay back 12 months payments which they could take from your final salary.

In reality they never did and they only sent a letter asking you to pay them the money but never enforced it.

They could have though so I guess it's down to how it's worded.

Good luck,
                    Beefy
                    Last edited by Beefy1976; 26 October 2014, 16:01. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Jane and Beefy - thanks for posting. I have agreed to it.

Prior to this, they were asking staff to pay for courses themselves and go through the ball of claiming it all back which i told them to stick it. So i guess this is the less of the two evils!

Comment

Actually it's just dawned on me who you might work for. Sad but there you go. I won't say on here but I suspect it to be a budget / discounted brand / chain. I've read before about Aldi suing a manager for a refund of training but see when I want to find the press release.....

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          Actually it's just dawned on me who you might work for. Sad but there you go. I won't say on here but I suspect it to be a budget / discounted brand / chain. I've read before about Aldi suing a manager for a refund of training but see when I want to find the press release.....
                          Bit late like......

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                            Bit late like......
                            oh has he said, somewhere?

Aldi was just an example story by the way

Comment

Working...
                            X