GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bedroom tax - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bedroom tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedroom tax

Coalition proposals to 'replicate' the rules applicable in the private rented sector with the social housing sector. Govt states that it is unfair that private tenants have restrictions on the size of house they can claim Housing benefit for, while social housing tenants do not.

So two wrongs make a right it seems....

Anyone renting in the private sector can only receive HB based on what is assessed as their individual needs. So if you are living alone, you do not get HB based on a 2 bedroom house, for example. The assessed HB is derived from LHA rates, ie cost of all like properties in your geographical area ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive, as provided by various agencies. The HB used to be based on the mid point of this scale, but was cut 2 years ago to 30% of the way up the scale...meaning out of every 10 properties, 3 you could afford and 7 you could not .

The proposals for Social Housing tenants are that if you live alone, you can only have a one bedroom flat/house paid for. So you either move to what is affordable, or if you can afford to pay the difference, then you stay and pay more. The LHA rates are not used for Social housing tenants, as these are private rented properties only..so a %'age is assumed to work out the correct rent for a smaller property. This varies between 14% for a one bedroom downsize to 25% for downsizing by 2 bedrooms.

This legislation comes in on 1st April 2013, and is justified as being 'fair' and will 'mirror' what happens to private tenants.

660,000 people will be affected by this.

It's a cost cutting exercise, and nothing to do with equality or fairness.

However, there is a flaw.

The 'equality' which is the term used to justify this latest piece of of vindictive legislation from the Nasty party, doesn't extend to people of 'non working age' (definition...the retirement age of women). On April 1st this is 61 years and 6 months (approx).

New rules for Social Housing tenants do not apply to anyone of non working age, so if you are over 61.5 years old, you do not have to move, you do not have to pay more rent...you are immune.

Unlike in the Private rented sector, where regardless of your age, you are assessed on how many bedrooms you need..so you either move to a smaller house/flat (if you can find one) or pay the difference.

So it's not 'equality' or a 'replication'...The Coalition were afraid to apply it to pensioners but hope that no one will notice the discrepancy with Pensioners in the private rented sector.

Just another ramshackled piece of legislation, badly thought out, badly put together and hopefully will be reformed/abolished when the nasty Party are shown the door in 2015...(which is more likely now their plan to fiddle the electorate boundaries has come a cropper)

Re: Bedroom tax

Originally posted by cardiac arrest View Post
    Just another ramshackled piece of legislation, badly thought out, badly put together and hopefully will be reformed/abolished when the nasty Party are shown the door in 2015...(which is more likely now their plan to fiddle the electorate boundaries has come a cropper)

Hence the independence vote north. An inbuilt tory majority in England so Davey Boy gets to stay and preside over the daily mail reading rump state.

Comment

Originally posted by ken100464 View Post
      Hence the independence vote north. An inbuilt tory majority in England so Davey Boy gets to stay and preside over the daily mail reading rump state.
      What is the independence vote north ???

Comment

Coalition proposals to 'replicate' the rules applicable in the private rented sector with the social housing sector. Govt states that it is unfair that private tenants have restrictions on the size of house they can claim Housing benefit for, while social housing tenants do not.

So two wrongs make a right it seems....

Anyone renting in the private sector can only receive HB based on what is assessed as their individual needs. So if you are living alone, you do not get HB based on a 2 bedroom house, for example. The assessed HB is derived from LHA rates, ie cost of all like properties in your geographical area ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive, as provided by various agencies. The HB used to be based on the mid point of this scale, but was cut 2 years ago to 30% of the way up the scale...meaning out of every 10 properties, 3 you could afford and 7 you could not .

The proposals for Social Housing tenants are that if you live alone, you can only have a one bedroom flat/house paid for. So you either move to what is affordable, or if you can afford to pay the difference, then you stay and pay more. The LHA rates are not used for Social housing tenants, as these are private rented properties only..so a %'age is assumed to work out the correct rent for a smaller property. This varies between 14% for a one bedroom downsize to 25% for downsizing by 2 bedrooms.

This legislation comes in on 1st April 2013, and is justified as being 'fair' and will 'mirror' what happens to private tenants.

660,000 people will be affected by this.

It's a cost cutting exercise, and nothing to do with equality or fairness.

However, there is a flaw.

The 'equality' which is the term used to justify this latest piece of of vindictive legislation from the Nasty party, doesn't extend to people of 'non working age' (definition...the retirement age of women). On April 1st this is 61 years and 6 months (approx).

New rules for Social Housing tenants do not apply to anyone of non working age, so if you are over 61.5 years old, you do not have to move, you do not have to pay more rent...you are immune.

Unlike in the Private rented sector, where regardless of your age, you are assessed on how many bedrooms you need..so you either move to a smaller house/flat (if you can find one) or pay the difference.

So it's not 'equality' or a 'replication'...The Coalition were afraid to apply it to pensioners but hope that no one will notice the discrepancy with Pensioners in the private rented sector.

agree and lets hope this stupid universal credits is abolished too

Comment

What is the independence vote north ???
          Scotland mate. They tend to be Labour or SNP. Remove those MP's from the equation and if you are English or Welsh residing peeps then there is a natural tory inbuilt majority.

If they get independence there will be no scottish MP's in Westminster.

Comment

I'm moving to Scotland...........

Comment

There would be no tories there either if I had my way

Comment

When my current job ends, I am likely to be back claiming JSA and will be affected by the bedroom tax.

I want to work...I worked extremely hard to get my teaching qualification as a mature student but there just aren't the jobs...either in teaching or anywhere else. I know, because I tried long enough to get one.

It's depressing enough being reliant on benefits but, if I had to leave my home, I think I'd just throw in the towel on life, especially knowing that my home would probably be given to some family who have arrived here from abroad, having not paid a penny into our country.
                Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Spent2much View Post
                  agree and lets hope this stupid universal credits is abolished too
                  Doubt its gonna happen well not at least for a year anyway, everyone who does Payroll have had to learn a new system to incorporate universal credits so its gonna be a hard one to remove.

Im a bit on the fence with this one i have to admit, maybe i dont know enough about it.

But im sure there are some people out there (not you lovely ADD lot) that are single sitting in a 3 bed house having the rent paid, when they could move somewhere smaller.

Meanwhile a family are unable to find a property big enough.

If i couldnt afford to rent a house, no one will help me, id have to rent something smaller.

So they are in a way trying to make it fair, but with most things government do, it doesnt always work out that way.
                  I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                    Doubt its gonna happen well not at least for a year anyway, everyone who does Payroll have had to learn a new system to incorporate universal credits so its gonna be a hard one to remove.

Im a bit on the fence with this one i have to admit, maybe i dont know enough about it.

But im sure there are some people out there (not you lovely ADD lot) that are single sitting in a 3 bed house having the rent paid, when they could move somewhere smaller.

Meanwhile a family are unable to find a property big enough.

If i couldnt afford to rent a house, no one will help me, id have to rent something smaller.

So they are in a way trying to make it fair, but with most things government do, it doesnt always work out that way.
                    i agree with the bedroom tax, but when it is combined with other benefits it will effect everthing else.
                    Last edited by Spent2much; 1 February 2013, 09:38.

Comment

I'm moving to Scotland...........
                      Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                      When my current job ends, I am likely to be back claiming JSA and will be affected by the bedroom tax.

I want to work...I worked extremely hard to get my teaching qualification as a mature student but there just aren't the jobs...either in teaching or anywhere else. I know, because I tried long enough to get one.

It's depressing enough being reliant on benefits but, if I had to leave my home, I think I'd just throw in the towel on life, especially knowing that my home would probably be given to some family who have arrived here from abroad, having not paid a penny into our country.

agree and this is where the system is unfair , i don't agree with families moving here from abroad and just getting everything from the benefits system i think this is why we are all being penalised because too much is being paid out and not enough being paid back .

could you go self employed as a private tutor ?
                      just a thought

Comment

Thing is though 66% of the people affected by the bedroom tax are already working...

The Tories make a great play on headline statistics to justify their policies, throwing in things like some families getting £2000 per month on HB. The reality is this is usually a family of 7 or 8 living in a large house, which is cheaper than them all living in seperate houses and all claiming HB. Also, it is less than 1% of all claimants.

I despise the use of extreme stats, and even though there may well be some claimants living the life of riley in a 3 bed house, why hammer 660,000 people just to weedle out the odd hundred or so ?

The truth is, the tories have an underlying political goal to drive down the cost of labour, so that businesses can make more profits. It is a political agenda, makes no economic sense in the overall cost of things and hurts the most vulnerable in our society. yeah, we know there are scivers...as there are scivers who work...but while they are giving millionaires £108,000 extra in tax cuts, allowing Banks to pay millions in 'bonuses' and dodging the much applauded and supported Robin Hood tax, it just smacks of the nasty party enjoying getting stuck into Labours core voters in the hope that if they keep pleading, 'It's not our fault, it's labours' fault' (a fact now totally proven to be not true), that they'll turn labour voters into Tory voters..

Of course, if there were enough houses built, and there were jobs, and people were paid a 'living wage', the welfare bill would be cut dramatically...

It's a disgusting series of policies, politically driven, not economically justified and I feel really sorry for the 90% who have to rely on any form of benefit to make up for the poor wages they get, or the simple lack of jobs/houses etc.

The Universal credit will not save money, it will cost billions...and you have to remember, it's a top end system...the feeder systems and the paperwork for applying for the various forms of benefit are not being replaced...so there are no savings.

Comment

There never are any real savings, in reality it will bog the system down even more and make it even more difficult for anyone to understand let alone someone who needs to apply for something. If you call the BA now and ask if you are eligible to claim this or that benefit they will tell you no, go along to the CAB and you will get the real answer - in the majority of cases yes you can.

Comment

sorry about the political rant....I just can't stand bullying...

Comment

Political Rant is needed because come April 1st many will be up the river without a paddle yes it is that bad taking all the cuts put together.

Dickensian times indeed that does not just effect the unemployed, ill, disabled and elderly but the low earners too.

And come the EU Vote if cameron get his way and we vote to come out of the EU that will spell disaster too because many are voting to get out just on the back of imigration, we must not forget what those imagrants bring to this nation too.

Furthermore it is not just imigration but human rights too which are NOT just there for prisoners protection but protection for us all it is just that prisoners use that law the most because they have the need.

There is also employment law as well which will get worse than it already has if we move out of EU.

And not forgetting justice and legal aid being a case to court will be near on impossible for the average earner.

Think very carefully before you vote otherwise you will be cutting your own nose.

Comment

Working...
                              X