GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Best savings account? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best savings account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best savings account?

This is probably in the wrong place, since there's no other threads in this section, so if someone could move it that'd be great, sorry that I haven't found my way around the forums yet.

When mum died we found out she had a works life insurance policy, my sister knew more about it than me and warned me not to expect it to be much. I thought it'd be maybe a weeks salary for every year she'd worked there (NMW), and was hoping that it might hit about £500.

I googled earlier today and it's actually a years salary! So nearer to £6 thousand each.

Now, I've got a shopping list for some of it - disability aids, Uni fees (if I get in - part time so only £1650 a year), a new sofa (this one's falling apart), and then go mad and splash out on an ipod and maybe a couple of hundred on a couple of cheap city breaks.

Which will leave me with 3.5k, which is still an enormous amount to me.

Because of my MI, I need to protect it, so I don't go manic and spend it all on crap.

So, what's the best savings account for me to put it in? I'm less bothered about interest rates than I am about not being able to get at it without having to wait at least a couple of weeks, but still have access to it in an emergency. So nothing that ties it up for months/years.

It'll also end up being fairly short term, because once mum's house is sold (could be a few months, could be a year or more) I'll have to lump everything together and start fighting the jobcentre, and hopefully buy a house with it. If not, then I'll need to live off it at benefits level rates. But that part's in the future, it's the next few months I'm dealing with (the thought of being responsible for tens of thousands turns me into a gibbering wreck, so I'm not thinking about it. lalala.)

Re: Best savings account?

Hi Ames,
    I've been looking around for a similar savings account, and ended up opening a Tesco Instant Access Savings account as you can manage it online, by phone, at Tesco stores and you get an ATM card. No minimum deposit. My main criteria was unconnected to any banks I'm in dispute with too! LOL. Interest rate average up to 1.25%.
    Might be an idea to stick £500 away as premium bonds for a rainy day too...

Shepherdess x

Comment

One i've got is with the Yorkshire Building Society, full details here--> YBS Savings - Internet Saver

Good point with this is no credit check, mine was approved fairly quickly

Comment

The principality building society does a good one, its unconnected with anyone else, so good for that, its online only so you can get the money in about a week if you need to but not right away. and its the one with the dinky wee boxes that you can divide up your savings in to various accounts so that you can save for various things, it also has a neat wee measurement that will let you know how you are doing towards a target, rate of interest isn't too bad either and they can't credit check you cos I got one!

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
          Hi Ames,
          I've been looking around for a similar savings account, and ended up opening a Tesco Instant Access Savings account as you can manage it online, by phone, at Tesco stores and you get an ATM card. No minimum deposit. My main criteria was unconnected to any banks I'm in dispute with too! LOL. Interest rate average up to 1.25%.
          Might be an idea to stick £500 away as premium bonds for a rainy day too...

Shepherdess x
          Thanks, but that would be no good to me, I don't want instant access and definitely no ATM card! It'd be empty within a week and my flat bursting with tat.

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
          The principality building society does a good one, its unconnected with anyone else, so good for that, its online only so you can get the money in about a week if you need to but not right away. and its the one with the dinky wee boxes that you can divide up your savings in to various accounts so that you can save for various things, it also has a neat wee measurement that will let you know how you are doing towards a target, rate of interest isn't too bad either and they can't credit check you cos I got one!
          I like the sound of that one, thanks.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Which is the best saving account providing an interest rate of 2% recurring deposit?

Comment

Hello this is a very old thread last used in 2011, start a thread of your own,, you have to shop around for interest savings accounts on the net there are a variety out there but not much in the area you are looking forr
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hello this is a very old thread last used in 2011, start a thread of your own,, you have to shop around for interest savings accounts on the net there are a variety out there but not much in the area you are looking forr
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I know this is from some time ago, but I can would also recommend Trading 212, they are giving 5% for GBP and it's really easy to take out / distribute.

Comment

Be very careful

https://register.fca.org.uk/s/firm?i...000000NMi1QAAT

when you can get almost the same or even more from reputable uk firms I wouldn’t touch this with yours let alone mine?

Comment

Working...
                    X