GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Wonga targeting the 'elderly' market - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wonga targeting the 'elderly' market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonga targeting the 'elderly' market

I don't know if anyone has seen Wongas latest advertising but they seem to be targeting and are trying to be appealing to those of more senior years among us.

Wonga claim they are a 'responsible lender' yet I see nothing responsible targeting people where the pensions of the majority of those people are never going to be sufficient to meet the massive monthly fees when it comes to repaying such loans that Wonga provide.

Not to mention that the elderly are likely to be more vunerable to the threats and harrassment that will be meeted out should they default on these loans.

SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Wonga targeting the 'elderly' market

oh dear SnV i can't say i've seen these adverts....i find them despicable...

Comment

This is truly dispicable and shocking, and no doubt they may say filling a cap left by the government cuts and energy rises.

PROFIT is fast becoming a discusting word.

Comment

words fail me, about Wonga - Definition for Wonga - a Lot of 'Wonga tosh!

Previous News about them from Forum Archieve Media pages:

1st June 2011: Consumers need protection against high-cost moneylenders online - allaboutFORUMS - View Single Post - Latest Headline News (Media)

AND

13th May 2011:
        Wonga boss fights back against critics - allaboutFORUMS - View Single Post - Latest Headline News (Media)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

"Today Damelin will talk about little other than Wonga. He paints a picture of a typical customer on a mid-level salary: someone from the tech-savvy Facebook generation, aged between 20 and 35, who has no savings and is strapped for cash perhaps three or four times a year. The most common reason borrowers visit Wonga is a surprise bill – a boiler needs fixing, for example – and the second most frequent loan is for a treat: a ticket to Glastonbury or a Champions League football match"

Hmmmmm well that doesn't look like the customers Wonga seem to be currently targeting!
          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Comment

They also target the unemployed, wrong group to lend too as they have a cat in hells chance of repaying, but then that increases there profit though high interest.

Words fail me

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
              They also target the unemployed, wrong group to lend too as they have a cat in hells chance of repaying, but then that increases there profit though high interest.

Words fail me
              Yes ditto PF

What really worries me is, with things like rising fuel and food costs, and with pensions not increasing nowhere near at the same rate, how attractive Wonga may appear to people who have to choose between keeping a single room warm (forget the whole house) and eating, or taking out one of these loans.

I predict next spring places like CAB will see an increase of this social group who have fallen into the payday rollover trap.

Comment

My son was unemployed end of last year and he fell into this trap owing them £400 he had no chance at all in clearing it, however in order for him not to rake up the vast amounts of interest it would of attracted I paid it off for him on the understanding he would never use these outfits again and if he had money worries to first speak to me.

He is now in employment and paying me the £400 back in installments each month, however not all youngsters have an understanding and helpful father as he does so will find it very hard to break.

Comment

I'd have just told the pd loan firm to bugger off, hang on - I already did
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X