GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Santander keep charging unauthorised overdraft. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santander keep charging unauthorised overdraft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander keep charging unauthorised overdraft.

Thoughts on this guys.

Santander, keep charging for unauthorised overdraft every month, and every month i have to keep telephoning them to get it reversed.

At no point have i ever gone over the agreed overdraft.

I have never taken money out past my overdraft before any money going in has cleared.

But yet everymonth they try and charge me for it.

This month was £0.98, last month £2.

Any thoughts on how i can get this sorted once and for all?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Santander keep charging unauthorised overdraft.

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
    Thoughts on this guys.

Santander, keep charging for unauthorised overdraft every month, and every month i have to keep telephoning them to get it reversed.

At no point have i ever gone over the agreed overdraft.

I have never taken money out past my overdraft before any money going in has cleared.

But yet everymonth they try and charge me for it.

This month was £0.98, last month £2.

Any thoughts on how i can get this sorted once and for all?
    Get an approved OD limit mate?

Thing is, as I understand it, they, unlike most banks that use the actual day and then apply all credits first before taking debits, Santander treat each as and when it comes in so lets say they update incoming payments at 03:00am but they allow outgoing DD's at 01:00am - you could find yourself overdrawn even though the credit and debit were dated the same day.

Its the way they process batch payments sadly, ie still doing it the old fashioned Abbey (building society) way
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      Get an approved OD limit mate?

Thing is, as I understand it, they, unlike most banks that use the actual day and then apply all credits first before taking debits, Santander treat each as and when it comes in so lets say they update incoming payments at 03:00am but they allow outgoing DD's at 01:00am - you could find yourself overdrawn even though the credit and debit were dated the same day.

Its the way they process batch payments sadly, ie still doing it the old fashioned Abbey (building society) way

HSBC done this to OH, Debited mortgage before more than enough credited on the same day soon as they opened, managed to get that hiddous charge refunded after pointing out complaint to regulators if necessay.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks guys. Its a right pain, i can see how it can happen, thanks to Niidys explanation.

Just another one of those things wrong with the system i guess!

Comment

Originally posted by GANGSHIELD View Post
          HSBC done this to OH, Debited mortgage before more than enough credited on the same day soon as they opened, managed to get that hiddous charge refunded after pointing out complaint to regulators if necessay.
          Really? HSBC do it right and classify it as a business day so that means so long as you have a credit before 15:30pm all debits will go through afterwards meaning you cannot exceed your balance.

If you had a DD due for £100 and your balance was £0, so long as you paid £100 into the account before 3.30pm then the DD would not get bounced.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            Really? HSBC do it right and classify it as a business day so that means so long as you have a credit before 15:30pm all debits will go through afterwards meaning you cannot exceed your balance.

If you had a DD due for £100 and your balance was £0, so long as you paid £100 into the account before 3.30pm then the DD would not get bounced.

That is what I thought, also after a campaign I did to Banks regarding the timings i.e. 1 minute passed midnight debits out yet 0100hrs for instance your income is credited, why charges, only respoonse was HSBC year or so ago was if pay into counter inform teller that the money is for the days transaction, other did not bother to reply only the M.P. who said would back the letters, that was all then, but I thought Banking Code changed and they had to do as you say, I mentioined to HSBC that was what I remembered, immediatly so refund the £25 to-day.

Also pointed out to Bof Ireland mortgage £10.00 fine it was HSBC sytem fault, well chase them for the £10.00 was the reply, well HSBC repay , just seen one fly past upside down = a Snort.
            Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 12 September 2012, 18:02.

Comment

Hsbc said to me reently you need to speak to the telephone banking team to confirm that the payment in to the account has been accepted and credited towards the o/d balance.

I had £160 refunded due to this snippet of info missing from all communications
              I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Working...
              X